2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Are you assuming Andrews gets resigned? Depth guy or replacement? .. given the loss of Thuney and potentially Wynn after this season I'd be surprised if they don't resign him. 

He could easily get 4 years,  35 Million+ I'd imagine. Drafting a late round depth guy makes sense.. but would certainly be interesting if they went full youth movement on the OL ( which I really doubt)

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Are you assuming Andrews gets resigned? Depth guy or replacement? .. given the loss of Thuney and potentially Wynn after this season I'd be surprised if they don't resign him. 

He could easily get 4 years,  35 Million+ I'd imagine. Drafting a late round depth guy makes sense.. but would certainly be interesting if they went full youth movement on the OL ( which I really doubt)

I'm  looking at players that would fit the Pats, has no bearing on Andrews. Andrews is is vital key.  I look at Jackson someone to back up than move in down the road.  One thing that I don't want to see is the Pats OL short handed like in the past. Drives me nuts when we don't have a decent backup and we make crazy trades to fill the position.

I think the guy that still haunt me, Newhouse. I think that's his name.  Never again. Here's one, not OL but Sanu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

18 hours ago, m haynes said:

I'm  looking at players that would fit the Pats, has no bearing on Andrews. Andrews is is vital key.  I look at Jackson someone to back up than move in down the road.  One thing that I don't want to see is the Pats OL short handed like in the past. Drives me nuts when we don't have a decent backup and we make crazy trades to fill the position.

I think the guy that still haunt me, Newhouse. I think that's his name.  Never again. Here's one, not OL but Sanu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can agree with you there.. the most interesting part could be the first two rounds. If someone falls that they love at LT, you could see Wynn slide into LG and Onwenu at RT full time. This would put Herron as a solid swing tackle, then you just need a good backup G/C assuming Andrews is retained. 

Did anyone watch some of the developmental QBs extensively by chance? Some of these guys who could be available in the 3rd round may be interesting.. and given the heavy emphasis on the senior bowl you could see the Pats take someone like Jamie Newman or Ian Book

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Did anyone watch some of the developmental QBs extensively by chance? Some of these guys who could be available in the 3rd round may be interesting.. and given the heavy emphasis on the senior bowl you could see the Pats take someone like Jamie Newman or Ian Book

Bingo you have a winner. Me Me Me. I have looked and looked at most. That how I found Zach Wilson, way before the Kiper's of the world.  Using the  Pats system and not the crap stye of offense they did this year. Note if they continue with this CN offense we will be watching the playoffs, not in them.  The draft after the top six falls off a cliff.   Jamie Newman IMO throws the ball like Lamar Jackson with a better arm. He runs, but he will give about as much as C Newton did, production wise.  Ian forget it, lacks arm strength for the NFL.

The only QB I like is Sam Ehlinger.  Yes I see all the reports . He can't this he can't that. I don't care. I watched him, and I think with coaching he can play in the Pats system, heavy on the run, play action.  Also he can run, check out vids and his numbers.  He run like a bull. 

I'm not sure where he going in the draft maybe 4/5thrd ( that what I've read). I would love to get him there. If he's not starting material, he will be on the roster. Use him just like Taysom Hill.  All else fails he would be one hell of a FB.

SR will be a major check point with him.  Who knows I could be here next week eating crow or walking around like a peacock!!

Note I try to watch game films not highlights. I also like to watch other players videos, or other teams playing against the guy I'm looking at to see if he can play.

Last.  Yes I'm old and have a crap load of time to sit on my assss in the winter to watch vids and read football. 😁

Jamie Newman   Here's one video that not to kind to Newman.  I had a laugh when he pointed out Newman is known for running and he's caught by the BC secondary.

If he can't run from the BC DBs how is he going to fair against NFL!!! BC has no speed, ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqAkWatD6k

Just think most have him rated, the next QB, after the big six. Yikes !!!!😲

Watched the SR bowl show today. Two players stood out  to me in the passing drill.  Shi Smith and Demetric Felton. They both broke ankles today.

Felton is the one to watch. He played RB and WR for UCLA. He working out at WR at the SR Bowl. I watched vids on both and they looked really good however they all do on highlights. I'm looking at Felton as a James White on steroids or put him out as a WR. Duel threat.

UCLA's Demetric Felton turning heads at the Senior Bowl

Most UNDERRATED Playmaker 💯 || UCLA RB Demetric Felton Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

Shi Smith South Carolina highlights 2017-2020 “intro” - YouTube

Shi Smith shines at Senior Bowl practice

The Con Profile on SS doesn't match up what I saw and what they are saying about him at the SR Bowl. The so call expert at it again!

Shi Smith WR South Carolina - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network

Felton is a great option if James White leaves.. he can impact the game in so many ways and would be an awesome replacement. My only question would be how good his blocking is.. we know BB is all about having his 3rd down backs being able to block. The good thing about him is he can play more WR to start his career as he becomes a better blocker as necessary. No idea of where he is expected to be drafted but he could be a steal with that 3rd round comp pick if he is still around. 

This will also depend on what the team thinks of JJ Taylor, he could easily be their choice for 3rd down back this season. Felton seemed to transition much more to WR though while Taylor is more of a direct James White replacement. 

22 hours ago, m haynes said:

The only QB I like is Sam Ehlinger. 

I've been trying to do some more research on QB's and I've gotten really disappointed with the options. It's tough because their do not seem to be any raw / reclamation project guys this draft. It makes sense if a guy has all the talent in the world but no experience and falls to the 3rd/4th but I don't see anyone like that. Trey Lance seems like he should be a 3rd rounder given his lack of tape but his talent shoots him up into the 1st round. I can't really think of a reclamation project either.. someone like Stidham who had a great year where he seemed like a top pick then a bad year which brought him down ( similar to Jordan Love as well). 

Ehlinger looks like a gadget guy similar to what you mentioned in Hill.. but he doesn't seem like someone who after 2 years in the system could take over full time. Looks like a backup who could catch a team off guard and win you a game or two. BB doesn't seem like he wants a Taysom Hill.. I mean he could have tried that this season when Newton was throwing balls into the dirt, but he didn't even try it out. I was hoping Desmond Ridder would come out a year too soon and end up getting taken 2nd/3rd round but he was smart and went back to school where he will likely end up being a top 15 pick next year. I'm souring on this QB class unfortunately.. outside of the top 4-5 guys I am not impressed. If BB is ok with the lack of mobility he may want to try out Trask in the 2nd round but his ankle injury hurts him because I don't think he's doing much at the Senior Bowl. 

Feels more and more likely that we see a reclamation trade / free agent QB after the dust settles from the big trades this offseason. 

• Jimmy G (29) <- If 49ers find a way to draft top QB or trade for QB .. I wouldn't pick him given his injuries.. but BB loved him so you've gotta put him at the top of the list if available
  • Mitchell Trubisky (27) <- Played alright second half of season and BB may feel he can fix him .. high talent guy
  • Gardner Minshew (24) <- we already know why i like him
  • Marcus Mariota (27) <- Josh loved him coming out of college.. could be a reclamation project if BB lets Josh pick the QB
  • Jameis Winston (27) <- unlikely due to turnovers but could be brought in as part of a camp competition and win the job
  • Jared Goff (26) <- If LA finds a way to trade for a top QB .. could be good enough with great OL and run focused offense
  • Stafford suuuuper low chance but i'll write him in here anyway

All of those guys(except Stafford) are under 30 and could be seen as a "long term solution" by BB.. they obviously all have flaws so it's kind of pick your poison for most.. but it seems more and more likely that one of those names will be starter next season. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I've been trying to do some more research on QB's and I've gotten really disappointed with the options. It's tough because their do not seem to be any raw / reclamation project guys this draft. It makes sense if a guy has all the talent in the world but no experience and falls to the 3rd/4th but I don't see anyone like that. Trey Lance seems like he should be a 3rd rounder given his lack of tape but his talent shoots him up into the 1st round. I can't really think of a reclamation project either.. someone like Stidham who had a great year where he seemed like a top pick then a bad year which brought him down ( similar to Jordan Love as well). 

Ehlinger looks like a gadget guy similar to what you mentioned in Hill.. but he doesn't seem like someone who after 2 years in the system could take over full time. Looks like a backup who could catch a team off guard and win you a game or two. BB doesn't seem like he wants a Taysom Hill.. I mean he could have tried that this season when Newton was throwing balls into the dirt, but he didn't even try it out. I was hoping Desmond Ridder would come out a year too soon and end up getting taken 2nd/3rd round but he was smart and went back to school where he will likely end up being a top 15 pick next year. I'm souring on this QB class unfortunately.. outside of the top 4-5 guys I am not impressed. If BB is ok with the lack of mobility he may want to try out Trask in the 2nd round but his ankle injury hurts him because I don't think he's doing much at the Senior Bowl. 

Feels more and more likely that we see a reclamation trade / free agent QB after the dust settles from the big trades this offseason. 

• Jimmy G (29) <- If 49ers find a way to draft top QB or trade for QB .. I wouldn't pick him given his injuries.. but BB loved him so you've gotta put him at the top of the list if available
  • Mitchell Trubisky (27) <- Played alright second half of season and BB may feel he can fix him .. high talent guy
  • Gardner Minshew (24) <- we already know why i like him
  • Marcus Mariota (27) <- Josh loved him coming out of college.. could be a reclamation project if BB lets Josh pick the QB
  • Jameis Winston (27) <- unlikely due to turnovers but could be brought in as part of a camp competition and win the job
  • Jared Goff (26) <- If LA finds a way to trade for a top QB .. could be good enough with great OL and run focused offense
  • Stafford suuuuper low chance but i'll write him in here anyway

All of those guys(except Stafford) are under 30 and could be seen as a "long term solution" by BB.. they obviously all have flaws so it's kind of pick your poison for most.. but it seems more and more likely that one of those names will be starter next season. 

F F F I can't spell out the words but you can figure it out😁 I hate everyone except Mimi and Goff. Ehlinger is still a guy I like.  He knows how to play QB and that half the battle. He not one of the great athlete that gets by on physical skills such as Lance and Fields.  The one thing that stop him is his  (what I read ) arm and accuracy. There's no way any of us can judge/ know without actual game tape and NFL experience. I'm hoping they look at him and see his faults are correctable.  IMO he has the heart and the knowledge to play the position.

PS Every year I have a guy i don't like and BB picks him. This year it could be two,Lance and Fields. F F F😁

48 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

My current prediction.. Jones gets picked before 15 ( Let's say Carolina) and BB decides to trade out of 15 

Patriots Trade: 

• 3rd round comp

Jaguars Trade: 

• Gardner Minshew

Jaguars select Kyle Pitts at 15

Nice, however with a third RD grade on Mini you would need  the Jags to kick in a 6/7th rd draft choice as well.  

47 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Nice, however with a third RD grade on Mini you would need  the Jags to kick in a 6/7th rd draft choice as well.  

That works, I think he is worth a 4th so maybe switch that 3rd comp to a mid 4th about 15 picks back. 

Either way, I think the Patriots are in prime position to be a trade partner for Pitts and Urban Meyer is going to want to make a splash year 1.. no better time to make a deal. 

Individuals on the Jags forums believe that's way too much the Jags are giving up but I think they will overpay a little to get Lawrence another weapon who can make plays day 1. I wouldn't be surprised if at that point BB even traded back from 25 to dip even further into the 2nd round ( 2nd & 4th this year and 2nd next year for 25 this year? Something like that). 2nd round this year is going to be STACKED with talent. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

That works, I think he is worth a 4th so maybe switch that 3rd comp to a mid 4th about 15 picks back. 

Either way, I think the Patriots are in prime position to be a trade partner for Pitts and Urban Meyer is going to want to make a splash year 1.. no better time to make a deal. 

Individuals on the Jags forums believe that's way too much the Jags are giving up but I think they will overpay a little to get Lawrence another weapon who can make plays day 1. I wouldn't be surprised if at that point BB even traded back from 25 to dip even further into the 2nd round ( 2nd & 4th this year and 2nd next year for 25 this year? Something like that). 2nd round this year is going to be STACKED with talent. 

No QB at 15 I'm all in with a trade. Matter of fact the trade to 25 is much better than 15 pick for what they need and the value.  Sitting in that area of the draft are these players, Exactly the positions we need. Plus we get more picks in the 2nd. Sign me up.

Rondale Moore
Christian  Barmore
Nick Bolton
Kadarious Toney

Now we are looking at

Trevon Moehrig
Shaun Wade    Play him at Safety
Terence Marshall
Levi Onwuzurike
Andre Cisco

Let say at 15 we take, --- Waddle.

Make the trade, we get. --- Moore and Levi Onwuzurike.

Cartwheels by Haynes!!!!!!!

• Like 1