2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

Agreed, assuming you get value I think it's worth it. 

Especially with the Jags who have the most draft picks out of everyone this year.. it's very likely they would be willing to overpay to get their guy. If that's the case you can get more quality players.. and given the amount of holes on this team, that's the right move. 

Urban Meyer wants to make a splash.. he's going to want to move up with that 25th pick I think.. I'm more than happy to help him do so ( Minshew would be a throw in they regret later)

• Like 1

I was saying for weeks Jones is legit. I also said Jamie Newman is awful and I had Wilson going in the 1st months ago.   I'm the QB guru !!!!!!!😁  🥇🥇🥇

Sorry I was patting myself on the back.  C Basham can play. He's big and is quick as lightning. Impressive. 

Edited by m haynes

All of these QB trades / free agency will tell a lot .. if a lot of these teams miss out on QBs they could easily get desperate in the draft. 

Will be really interesting if 3-4 QBs get traded to teams in the top 10.. I'm ok with Mac Jones at this point, but I still don't love him. If BB and company are going to take him at 15 they BETTER love him! Don't draft a qb just because you feel you need one and everyone else is going crazy for one is all I ask for. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would you be pissed with a trade back either toward the end of the 1st or 2x 2nd  something similar?

It really depends who is there at 15 .. if any of the following players are there then I would be angry: 

• Micah Parsons ( likely top 10) 
  • Patrick Surtain

Anyone else like Waddle or Jones,etc. I'd be fine with them trading back. 

The Jaguars are the ideal trading partner.. they seem like they would want Kyle Pitts who will likely be there at 15. I see three main trade options with them for 15

• OVERPAY: 25/45 for 15
  • UNDERPAY: 33+45 for 15 (which Pats lose a bit in value)
  • THROW IN VALUE: 33+45+Minshew ( that would have him evaluated at around a 5th round pick) for 15 

At 33 you can grab a 1st round talent who can contribute right away (see Tee Higgins last season).. and you'd own 45+46. If BB is really going to be uncharacteristically aggressive in the draft, trading down is less likely. I personally interpreted that quote as him being aggressive in Free Agency to win now and pretty much the same in the draft so I think the trade down will likely happen. 

This week of the Senior Bowl is going to dictate a lot imo, least year I believe 4 players drafted came from the Senior Bowl.. I would expect at least that many this draft as well given that they have no combine. A lot of those Senior Bowl players will be available in the 2nd round which is why I think BB is going to really want to invest in that 2nd-3th round ( where all the depth is) 

Edited by Crimmage

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Are they gonna draft a TE

Possible, but I doubt it. 

You have two which were drafted in the 3rd round last year.. suffered multiple injuries.. and couldn't be part of the offense because you had a QB who couldn't throw. You have to give them the offseason to try and take that year 2 jump. They should 100% be signing a veteran to help them improve and be a solid TE in the meantime if they don't

Did anyone watch the Senior Bowl by chance? I only got some glimpses of the first half myself.. but given BB's interest in the game it seems likely they will draft at least a couple players who performed well this week. 

An interesting article from Lazar ( lots of WR who did well it seems):

https://www.clnsmedia.com/lazar-ten-things-we-learned-in-2021-senior-bowl-from-patriots-perspective/

Another thing I've been hearing a lot of is the depth at Center.. potentially 4-5 guys who could start day 1 and be successful. I've got no idea how to evaluate OL but it felt like an automatic that David Andrews would be locked in for the next 4 years or so. Would be interesting if they go cheap at the position ( I still doubt it given the youth on the line)

Some thoughts based off practices and articles based off todays game: 

• QBs for the most part were bad ( the first half was painful to watch) .. Jones was the only one people talked to throughout the week.. then Mond today ( Was Trask there? I never heard anything about him)
  • OL has DEPTH .. we can expect to see multiple mid to late round picks focused on C/RT/LG .. maybe even LT early if the value is there... whatever happened to Yodny Cajuste now that I think of it?? Was he expected to be Cannons replacement but has been redshirted two years? Or is he just injury prone? 
  • WR has a lot of depth and some short, speedy guys. Makes you really think this is the year to double dip and find your next Deon Branch .. Shi Smith .. Kadarisu Toney ( I wouldn't want him in the 1st tho) .. Amari Jones looks like a steal in the late 2nd / 3rd .. Fitzpatrick taller and speedy.. Nico Collins.. Tylan Wallace has some awesome ankle breaking cuts too which I loved .. etc.etc. 
  • Demeric Felton could be a stud at the next level.. no idea where he where he is projected to be drafted but looks like a future 500 running / 500 receiving type .. he would be awesome with that 3rd round comp pick or a 4th rounder.. steal 
  • Don't be surprised if we see a corner in the 2nd round either.. I don't know the corner free agent class but with Gilmore likely traded they are going to want a high upside guy to replace him like Melifonwu ( assuming Joejuan doesn't suddenly become a starter next season opposite JC Jackson)

The more research I do .. the more I love the depth of this draft and can see BB making a lot of trades to get a bunch of picks. Especially with no combine you could see some great players available in the middle to late rounds. 

Edited by Crimmage

Well that was depressing.

The SR Bowl that I waited for weeks was a snooze fest. I turn on the TV just in time to hear Mac Jones is out of the game. WHAT!!!! Damn. Later I thought maybe that's a good thing. 

OK here is what I took away from the game. Lets me start ahead of time there were quality players throughout the rosters however I'm not going to state the obvious on each player. I will was looking for needs and someone to catch my eye. Hers a list of players that did that during the game. My thought on the following.

Osa Odighizuwa  UCLA DL --- Powerful, dominated the inside. Shocked when I looked up measurable, plays a lot bigger. I don't care about the measurable with this player. Lets sat A Donald, plays much bigger than his size. However he is raw as heck. I saw him going in the 1st RD on some mock. Heck no, but I definitely  draft him later in the draft.

Elerson Smith northern DL ---- Damn he a small school kid but he has tremendous size and speed. Built for the Pats defense.  He stood out over the bigger names and did it on pure ability. Get him with a coach, and he could flourish. I really like him. Also got a roughing of the passer called on him. That happen to me when I what this kid from Iowa, Andra Tipett!!!

Marlon Tuipulotu DT  ----   I put MT on the list for one reason. He STINKS. "Fat and lazy is no way to go son ! "  I would use a 7th RD pick on him, most likely he cut by mini camp!!!!

Rogers WR clemson.  ----  Best receiver on the field. Guarantee quality starter.

Dez Fitzpatrick    ------ Size and knows how to play the position. It seemed like every pass went to him. He was always open and made several quality catches, but he did have an easy drop at the beginning of the game.

Micheal carter  ---- Best Player on the field. He remind me of the runner in the movie "Varsity Blues "  I swear he played the RB !!!!!

Kellen Mond   ------  He impressed me however I still would not waste a middle RD pick on him. He's a 6th RD at best.  You have to teach him everything when it come to throwing a football.  When he misses, which is often, boy does he miss. You think CN missed well this kid had some head starches.

Aaron Banks and Robert Hainsey.  ---- Dominated in this game.  Both impressed me. I would  be extremely happy if we pick them. 

Last but not least. 

Sam Ehlinger. ----  I was dead on about him, he can do everything and could be a staring QB, except for ONE BIG THING. His arm and throwing mechanics stucks.

IMO if Sam had a pro arm, he would be a high 1st RD talent.  The big question can you fix his throwing motion and will that improve his throws and arm strength . I would would still draft him in the later RDs. Worst case, he's a perfect BU and would be great in the QB room.

Sr bowl
Osa Odighizuwa, DT, UCLA - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN
DL Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa
DL Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa
Osa Odighizuwa, DT, UCLA - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN
Louisville WR Dez Fitzpatrick Stands Out at 2021 Senior Bowl - Sports Illustrated Louisville Cardinals News, Analysis and More
Dez Fitzpatrick leaves lasting impression with NFL scouts
Dez Fitzpatrick, WR, Louisville - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN
Edited by m haynes

I may be seeing something that isn't there but every time I saw Jones he was attached to Rhules hip .. and Rhule seemed to really love this kid throughout the week. I remember a couple years ago when Daniel Jones was seen as a later 1st round pick and the Giants took him in the top 10.. I'm getting those vibes from Carolina. I've got a strange feeling they skip over Fields/Lance if available and go after Mac Jones. I have a feeling he never intended to play in the game.. he mainly came for interviews, etc. He had no reason to play after his performance in the championship game ( although if he did..even playing average would have made him look amazing compared to the others)

• I didn't like any of the QBs I saw at the Senior Bowl ( I only watched the first half fully then was in and out second half) .. made life much difficult than necessary for the receivers out there. Mond didn't really impress me, I agree that he seems like a super late flyer type of guy.. same for Ehlinger, he's a 5th rounder to UDFA imo .. sounds like he has all the leadership and intangibles in the world but he wasn't accurate at all and def lacked arm strength. I have no idea if his throwing motion is the reason why his throws were awful but you'd hope after 4 years in college they would improve on that.. he's not great physically at anything.. he seems like a future Colt Mccoy to me, someone who will somehow be able to stick in the league as a backup for 10+ years but be long forgotten by most people
  • I agree on Osa Odighizuwa .. no way do I grab him in the first but in the mid rounds he seems very much like a player BB would find a role for
  • Michael Carter looked good, I agree.. but he isn't a player Pats would need .. Demeric Felton is much more of a fit imo
  • YES on Banks and Hainsey.. but I think they could get drafted earlier than Pats want.. if they are there mid round, i'm all for it .. but they wont be ( lots of depth in this draft at OL imo)
  • I loved what I saw from Amari Rodgers, Where is he projected to be drafted?? he seems like a very high floor prospect to me.. which given all the busts the Patriots draft would be a good thing. Tylan Wallace was amazing during the week of practices too and I'd be 100% for drafting him as well. 
  • Elerson Smith looks liked this years Dugger haha .. no idea how high he goes in the draft but he seems like a guy you could ease into a role over a year or two and be successful. 

Feel free to pick your favorite 2-4 guys at the Senior Bowl.. because we can almost guarantee that many will be on the Patriots next season. They are going to put a lot of stock into this game like they did last season 

15 hours ago, Crimmage said:

QBs for the most part were bad ( the first half was painful to watch) .. Jones was the only one people talked to throughout the week.. then Mond today ( Was Trask there? I never heard anything about him)

Trask on roster did not participate.  After the 1st six, you are just throwing ships against the wall and hope one sticks.  Jamie Newman, need to look into a new position or another line of work. He's not draftable. 

OL has DEPTH .. we can expect to see multiple mid to late round picks focused on C/RT/LG .. maybe even LT early if the value is there

Loaded in the area of need IOL. Really impressive.  I didn't pay attention to RT.

Amari Jones looks like a steal in the late 2nd / 3rd .. Fitzpatrick taller and speedy.. Nico Collins.. Tylan Wallace has some awesome ankle breaking cuts too which I loved .. etc.etc. 

Who is Amari Jones? I assume your talking about Rodgers the best WR there. The rest you mentioned all stood out, except Nico " cement shoes" Collins. He makes Harry look fast. Over all if BB screw up WR this year I would dock his pay. You can throw a dart from 100 ft and his a potential starter. My luck the dart hits NC. With their 2nd RD pick the Pats take WR from Michican, crash, glass breaking, wife screaming, TV just went of the window!

Don't be surprised if we see a corner in the 2nd round either.. I don't know the corner free agent class but with Gilmore likely traded they are going to want a high upside guy to replace him like Melifonwu ( assuming Joejuan doesn't suddenly become a starter next season opposite JC Jackson)

I can defiantly see DB in the second RD. especially the Safeties.  Many might not want a safety  that early however the value is to great to pass. Also I didn't pay attention to CB, impossible to at these type of  games.

The more research I do .. the more I love the depth of this draft and can see BB making a lot of trades to get a bunch of picks. Especially with no combine you could see some great players available in the middle to late rounds. 

I agree, this draft is loaded in two areas the Pats need. WR, CB.  The OL position is loaded as well.  Unfortunately this draft stinks in two major needs for the Pats DT, LB. Complete garbage, unless they trade to get in position to get defensive help.  EX Christian Barmore  I would love the pick if we trade down in the 1st, hate it at 15. he's not there in the 2d.

The only reason to keep 15th pick is if a QB falls , Micah Parsons or Patrick Surtain II are still there.

I would trade the pick if Waddle, Smith and Pitts are there.

I would have to think 2, 3, or 4 times , if Chase is there. The best WR in the draft. Its him and all others.  Just think Justin Jefferson was the 2nd option at LSU. There was no question who the best WR was when they played together.

52 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I have no idea if his throwing motion is the reason why his throws were awful but you'd hope after 4 years in college they would improve on that..

No coaching  guy was fired. Throw like a whid mill throwing a javerlin.!!!!

I loved what I saw from Amari Rodgers, Where is he projected to be drafted??

2nd

Elerson Smith looks liked this years Dugger haha

2nd RD pick !!!

Feel free to pick your favorite 2-4 guys at the Senior Bowl.

Quinn Meinerz and Elerson Smith will be one of our 2nd RD picks!!!!!! Also Nico Collins WR is a Pats pick. They always pick one guy I hate.

My favorite from this game

Amari Rodgers,  need another high 2nd RD pick to get him. Not sure the priority(SWR) is there. 

,Dez Fitzpatrick  4th RD steal. Might of played himself into a higher pick.

Aaron Banks  if he's there later in the draft, great. I said the same with " Weno " last year. Major steal. Could be the 23rd best steal ever for the Pats. 1 TB, 2 JE

Robert Hainsey,  played RT 3 years projected as a OG

Edited by m haynes

10 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Trask on roster did not participate. 

Who is Amari Jones? I assume your talking about Rodgers the best WR there. 

I can defiantly see DB in the second RD. especially the Safeties.  Many might not want a safety  that early however the value is to great to pass. Also I didn't pay attention to CB, impossible to at these type of  games.

I agree, this draft is loaded in two areas the Pats need. WR, CB.  The OL position is loaded as well.  Unfortunately this draft stinks in two major needs for the Pats DT, LB. Complete garbage, unless they trade to get in position to get defensive help.  EX Christian Barmore  I would love the pick if we trade down in the 1st, hate it at 15. he's not there in the 2d.

The only reason to keep 15th pick is if a QB falls , Micah Parsons or Patrick Surtain II are still there.

Do we know why Trask didn't play? I didn't hear anything about him all week

My fault, Amari Rodgers lol! He looked like a plug and play day 1 contributor which this team needs. The issue is he will likely play most of the time in the slot at the next level, are we confident in Meyers playing well on the outside? Or are we hurting ourselves drafting a player like Rodgers or can he and Meyers play outside enough that it isn't an issue? Rodgers would be awesome YAC player which would really help this team as well. I was reading that his 40 time is an unofficial 4.6 but that can't be right.. how he runs at his pro day could determine if he is a 2nd rounder or slips to the 3rd/4th. At the end of the day this team needs to add SPEED to the WR position.. if they can add 2 fast players that will even help Harry become at minimum a better redzone / jump ball option. 

Safety feels like a Luxury pick compared to Corner imo. We can almost guarantee Gilmore is traded before or during the draft .. making Corner a top need on defense unless someone here believes JoeJuan Williams is a capable starter next season??). JoeJuan would be great opposite JC because he's a bigger guy.. I'm just not confident the coaching staff believes in him given that he barely played his second season. I don't trust Jason McCourty starting either. Drafting a DB will 100% be dependent on what the team thinks of Williams .. are they trying to make him Gilmore or McCourty's replacement? Or are they in the process of making him another 2nd round bust. 

I agree on the trade back if no Surtain/QB/Parsons .. Jags 2 2nd rounders and Minshew is obviously my dream scenario.. with the Patriots being able to move around and control the 2nd / 3rd round and get 4-5 quality day 1 contributors .. because I honestly believe a lot of these 2nd rounders are just as good as what you will see in the 20's this year.