2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

1 minute ago, Crimmage said:

The issue is he will likely play most of the time in the slot at the next level, are we confident in Meyers playing well on the outside?

1 minute ago, Crimmage said:

Do we know why Trask didn't play? I didn't hear anything about him all week

Don't know, out site out of mindless!!!!

2 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Safety feels like a Luxury pick compared to Corner imo.

Don't agree here. . CB is the priority however McCourty is gone after next year, also he says now, he's playing, however he hasn't woken up in late July 2021 yet!!! The safety  position is absolutely loaded and they will go or the board early in the 2nd RD, prime position for the Pats. IMO you can't pass up superior talent to fill a need.

3 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I agree on the trade back if no Surtain/QB/Parsons .. Jags 2 2nd rounders and Minshew is obviously my dream scenario.. with the Patriots being able to move around and control the 2nd / 3rd round and get 4-5 quality day 1 contributors .. because I honestly believe a lot of these 2nd rounders are just as good as what you will see in the 20's this year. 

1000 % right.   lower 1st rd and 2nd is loaded with with players. EX Waddle and Moore are equal however they have Moore late in the 1st or 2nd. Idiots!!  Shoot lunch time!!

DB really depends on your opinion of Williams. I think he NEEDS to become a Safety to be successful in this league. He runs a 4.5 and is going to get burnt if you have him on the outside.. all of these young WR's coming out are fast and unless you are going against the N'Keal Harry's of the world he will fail. If that is the case, you've then got Dugger / Williams as your top 2 Safeties once McCourty is gone after this season. This year he could be the #3 safety similar to Harmon used to play.. and then fully take over the starting spot next season. 

Both Safety and CB are needs tho (especially given that they do a lot of 3 Safety schemes) .. it would not surprise me at all to see a Safety and Corner taken in the top 3 rounds. IF they were to trade back from 15 to 33& 45 I honestly could see BB doubling down on the trade back and doing the following: 

* Trade 33 for later 2nd and 3rd this year

Draft: 

• 45: DL
  • 46: CB
  • Late 2nd:  WR
  • Late 3rd: S
  • Comp 3rd: OL

As fans we would hate it in the moment.. "this team needs talent not more picks!" etc. but given the talent I think will be there in the 2nd and 3rd you could have a great draft this way. 

• Like 1

Watch the CB when Collins makes his slow rounded break. He's shuffling his feet and staying right with him. How the heck does this translate to the NFL. They're saying  he's a vertical threat, where and when Pee Wee Football.  This is the type of WR  BB has to stay away from. They don't work in (Ty Law rule) today's NFL

34 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Next Pats Pod-cast had this for us

15: Patrick Surtain 

2nd traded for Jimmy G

3rd: Alaric Jackson.

I'd hate it. 

Surtain would be a nice replacement for Gilmore... but no way do I want to give up a 2nd rounder for Jimmy. He's way too injury prone for me to want to give anything for him.. I'm sure some other team will overpay for him. 

58 minutes ago, m haynes said:

This kid is pretty damn good. He can move.

Is he projected LT or RT? 

If LT, is he someone who can jump right in and play? Or is this a developmental year then take over for Wynn? I'm not convinced we need a LT.. Wynn if healthy plays pretty well at the position and will likely be able to be negotiated at a reasonable deal given his injuries which for the most part have been fluke injuries. 

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Is he projected LT or RT? 

If LT, is he someone who can jump right in and play? Or is this a developmental year then take over for Wynn? I'm not convinced we need a LT.. Wynn if healthy plays pretty well at the position and will likely be able to be negotiated at a reasonable deal given his injuries which for the most part have been fluke injuries. 

He can play both or move inside to guard. That's what I love versatility. Here he is against OSU. Watch him move, especially in the run game. Works great in the Pats offensive system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6H0ESTmWt0

Edited by m haynes

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

He can play both or move inside to guard. That's what I love versatility.

That's always nice, having another Onwenu would of course be amazing.. but it's more a matter of value. 

Wynn / Onwenu / Andrews / Mason / Herron ... the weak link there is Herron but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a mid tier veteran swing tackle to help out too in case Herron doesn't play well. Onwenu & Herron both played well last season.. so I would expect them to only become more comfortable year 2. This is also assuming Cajuste is a bust and the team doesn't have him battle for the RT spot as well. 

I can see two cases where drafting an OL high makes sense: 

• Team trades Wynn ( if the team lets him go next year they can just draft a day 1 starter at LT in the first round like they have in the past) 
  • Team doesn't trust Herron to start / wants Onwenu to start at RT with Herron swing tackle ( and you need a starting LG)
  • Andrews gets a huge contract somewhere and you need a day one starter at C ( this draft has multiple)

The team has three 4th round picks.. in my opinion that's the ideal spot to draft some developmental OL if they really feel the need. You've got so many other needs that drafting an OL high seems like a waste when they likely won't play. 

QB / WR / DL / LB / CB / S are all higher needs imo ( and this draft has multiple high talent players who will be available first three rounds at those positions) . I'm a best player available person, but given so many needs on this team I think you'll see other positions with a similar draft grade where the need will become a higher priority this season. Bringing in a couple backup veteran players would also help Onwenu/Herron improve imo.

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

That's always nice, having another Onwenu would of course be amazing.. but it's more a matter of value. 

Wynn / Onwenu / Andrews / Mason / Herron ... the weak link there is Herron but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a mid tier veteran swing tackle to help out too in case Herron doesn't play well. Onwenu & Herron both played well last season.. so I would expect them to only become more comfortable year 2. This is also assuming Cajuste is a bust and the team doesn't have him battle for the RT spot as well. 

I can see two cases where drafting an OL high makes sense: 

• Team trades Wynn ( if the team lets him go next year they can just draft a day 1 starter at LT in the first round like they have in the past) 
  • Team doesn't trust Herron to start / wants Onwenu to start at RT with Herron swing tackle ( and you need a starting LG)
  • Andrews gets a huge contract somewhere and you need a day one starter at C ( this draft has multiple)

The team has three 4th round picks.. in my opinion that's the ideal spot to draft some developmental OL if they really feel the need. You've got so many other needs that drafting an OL high seems like a waste when they likely won't play. 

QB / WR / DL / LB / CB / S are all higher needs imo ( and this draft has multiple high talent players who will be available first three rounds at those positions) . I'm a best player available person, but given so many needs on this team I think you'll see other positions with a similar draft grade where the need will become a higher priority this season. Bringing in a couple backup veteran players would also help Onwenu/Herron improve imo.

I agree I was talking about the player.  He has value at 3 however that not the position I would look at based on the Pats needs. Also depends on how the draft falls, he could be to good a players to pass on.  Sorry for the confusion.

I should made this easy like @ Hunter. I would be pissed if other needs (tylan wallace WR)  where left on the board. 

PS The AT symbol in front of Hunters name didn't turn blue ????????????????

Edited by m haynes

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Zierlein - 15: Fields

NBC - 15: Mac Jones

ProFootballNet - 15: Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT / 46: Trevon Moehrig, S

Walterfootball - 15: Jaylen Waddle / 46: Mac Jones / 110: Trevon Grimes, WR (nice Florida WR for @m haynes haha) 

Talk about some crazy all across the board choices!

46: Trevon Moehrig, S I definitely see that. S position is loaded with high quality talent. 

• Like 1

Players I don't want at 15

Trey Lance  ------ Kiper delight.
Alijah Vera-Tucker ---- IOL Why!!
Christian Darrisaw ----comparable players in  2nd
Kyle Pitts -----  Never draft a TE that high. We have 2 rookies. ****
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah --- to small, we have them now.  
Gregory Rousseau ---- complete dog. No NFL skills.
Rashod Bateman ---- Harrys twin
Kadarius Toney ---- Hate Florida WR, too early.
Nick Bolton ----  Love, but to early. Not sure with his size.

**** Look at all world (college) TE, everyone I mean everyone loved this kid,  Hockenson. Noah Fant as well.

Bold  I will chuck,  if it happens

22 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Players I don't want at 15

I agree with all but Lance.. he is boom or bust but if BB takes him at 15 then I believe he's done his hw enough to strongly believe he can turn him into a good QB. It would mean at minimum 1 year on the bench ( if not 2) but I can handle that if they love the kid. 

I would also add Barmore to that list.. he has been rising up mock drafts rapidly and even seen him to the Pats at 15. Way too early imo, if you want him or Bolton just trade back with someone who wants Pitts / Corner / LT.