The Dirty Dozen Dynasty league (Discussion thread)

sammymvpknight

On 12/31/2020 at 12:15 PM, sammymvpknight said:

e) Position minimums/maximums: Notice that there are position minimums/maximums listed in the ESPN league settings. If you draft a player that puts you over that maximum, you will lose that selection. Other managers and commissioner(s) are encouraged to notify the manager as soon as possible. If the manager does not rectify the selection, the pick will be considered “late”. See 2.5.b) for more details. If the manager notices that they have a skipped pick, they may make their selection immediately (unless the selection has already been made by the commissioner). Likewise, every team has to conclude the draft with position minimums (For example, every team must have at least one kicker and team defense/ST).

I think this league is super overdue to abolish this rule. I realize it's far too late to implement for 2021 and perhaps even 2022 since picks are being traded, but it seems unnecessarily restrictive to force managers to draft a D/ST and K, and potentially devalues maximizing ones draft capital. If a manager prefers to skip one or both of those positions in the draft entirely to hold an extra bench player, they should absolutely be allowed to IMO. Especially when you consider that there is no penalty or rules against immediately dropping one of those positions for another bench player immediately after the draft. 

Food for thought. 

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I think this league is super overdue to abolish this rule. I realize it's far too late to implement for 2021 and perhaps even 2022 since picks are being traded, but it seems unnecessarily restrictive to force managers to draft a D/ST and K, and potentially devalues maximizing ones draft capital. If a manager prefers to skip one or both of those positions in the draft entirely to hold an extra bench player, they should absolutely be allowed to IMO. Especially when you consider that there is no penalty or rules against immediately dropping one of those positions for another bench player immediately after the draft. 

Food for thought. 

I think that is something that is reasonable to vote upon next year. Some have mentioned simply abolishing the DEF and K positions as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that is something that is reasonable to vote upon next year. Some have mentioned simply abolishing the DEF and K positions as well. 

I am good with this, at least with defense.  Or going to IDP instead.  The top 12 kickers scored within 20 points of each other on the season so they aren't really impactful on a season but can have a big impact in an individual week. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am good with this, at least with defense.  Or going to IDP instead.  The top 12 kickers scored within 20 points of each other on the season so they aren't really impactful on a season but can have a big impact in an individual week. 

I’d actually argue this is why we should keep D/ST and drop K. Kickers hardly matter due to the lack of variance and sheer luck of it all. Defenses actually require a bit of homework and can be a real difference making asset to set your team apart. 

A good topic for debate next offseason. 

• Like 1

Yeah...I'm up for suggestions. But I do think that if we vote to just allow people do what they want with all of their picks, that we should strongly just get rid of the kicker and/or defense positions. Because if we aren't even going to draft those positions...then why bother with including them on rosters.

FYI...I'm consider starting another league next year. It'll be more of a fun league, and I don't think that you can take it too seriously, but I really liked the concept. Stay tuned...because I'll announce it eventually. If you are interested in joining another league, but something that may not be as competitive as others, let me know so that I can tag you when the league gets announced, because I think that it'd probably fill up pretty quickly.

Edited by sammymvpknight

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Yeah...I'm up for suggestions. But I do think that if we vote to just people do what they want with all of their picks, that we should strongly just get rid of the kicker and/or defense positions. Because if we aren't even going to draft those positions...then really why bother with including them on rosters.

FYI...I'm consider starting another league next year. It'll be more of a fun league, and I don't think that you can take it too seriously, but I really liked the concept. Stay tuned...because I'll announce it eventually. If you are interested in joining another league, but something that may not be as competitive as others, let me know so that I can tag you when the league gets announced, because I think that it'd probably fill up pretty quickly.

I’d be interested. 

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

Yeah...I'm up for suggestions. But I do think that if we vote to just people do what they want with all of their picks, that we should strongly just get rid of the kicker and/or defense positions. Because if we aren't even going to draft those positions...then really why bother with including them on rosters.

Some will draft defenses. Last year the top defense scored 85 more points than the #12 defense.  Even the #5 outscored #12 by 40 points. Thats pretty significant.  So if someone wants to use draft resources or keeper space for a top D, they can, but others can wait and let it play out in preseason.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I'm all about more leagues.  Also, anyone interested in doing a money league on Fantrax?  Could do keeper or dynasty.  Nothing too crazy expensive but we did that for baseball on here and has been fun. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm all about more leagues.  Also, anyone interested in doing a money league on Fantrax?  Could do keeper or dynasty.  Nothing too crazy expensive but we did that for baseball on here and has been fun. 

I’d be interested

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Some will draft defenses. Last year the top defense scored 85 more points than the #12 defense.  Even the #5 outscored #12 by 40 points. Thats pretty significant.  So if someone wants to use draft resources or keeper space for a top D, they can, but others can wait and let it play out in preseason.  

Exactly this. I would personally still make it a priority to draft a defense, but I don’t want to be forced to if I don’t value what’s available. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics