The Dirty Dozen Dynasty league (Discussion thread)

sammymvpknight

17 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Well ya. That's like saying adding another Flex spot (which we have done) is an advantage to teams with better depth at WR. It's simply something you plan for. And with Sammy's idea of lowering QB scoring to potentially level out what a mid-tier QB and mid-tier WR might score, it lessens the NEED to play a QB there. 

As it stands today, QBs have virtually no trade value in this league and we're in a golden era of QB play where all 12 teams could easily start 2 legit QBs. 

Again, this isn't something I'm beating the drum for in 2021. I agree teams should have some leash to prepare for something like this. I personally think 2022 is more than enough time to make that transition, but if people need more time, we could convert the Kicker spot to an extra bench spot in 2022 and then convert that bench spot to a Super Flex spot in 2023. 

I was against it at first but have softened my stance.  I do think you have to have roster limits though and only allow each team to have 3 QBs if we have a Super Flex.  As you said, there would only be two weeks at worst that you would need to have a WR/RB/TE there and we wouldn't likely do it until 2023 at this point so plenty of time to plan. 

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I was against it at first but have softened my stance.  I do think you have to have roster limits though and only allow each team to have 3 QBs if we have a Super Flex.  As you said, there would only be two weeks at worst that you would need to have a WR/RB/TE there and we wouldn't likely do it until 2023 at this point so plenty of time to plan. 

This I completely agree with. There is no way that you can have a SuperFlex league and allow teams to hoard QBs. But at the same time, I think that reduction of QB scoring limits the relative strength of the QB position more than your average SF league (which frankly, just turns into a QB only league). But at the same time, I do agree with @SaveOurSonics that our current league does underweight the QB position. I have Kyler Murray...a top 3 dynasty QB in my opinion, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to trade him for a RB2. That's just sad.

And @JaguarCrazy2832...it would be much easier to say..."yeah, the league is what it is...no changes will be made." The problem is that we didn't create this league...we adopted this league. I would have structured this league different from the jump if I had started the league. But here we are. I'm honestly pretty flexible. I'm competitive, but I've been doing fantasy football competitively for a couple decades now. This is a fun league for me. I do think that there are ways to improve the league and keep it fresh without creating competitive disadvantages for teams.

I do think that @winitall has a legitimate concern. If let's say that a SF starts in 2023 (again...that's not necessarily the case...I'm just saying for arguments sake). Is two years enough to prepare for a significant change such as SF. Some will say yes...but some will say no. Those that do say no really have no other choice...for the sake of sanity...to overinvest in the QB the position NOW. I'm not sure that is fair. I don't want people going out and selecting Mac Jones in the 1st round out of fear of the unknown moving forward. The question is whether TWO years enough for people to not overreact to the unknown?

26 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

This I completely agree with. There is no way that you can have a SuperFlex league and allow teams to hoard QBs. But at the same time, I think that reduction of QB scoring limits the relative strength of the QB position more than your average SF league (which frankly, just turns into a QB only league). But at the same time, I do agree with @SaveOurSonics that our current league does underweight the QB position. I have Kyler Murray...a top 3 dynasty QB in my opinion, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to trade him for a RB2. That's just sad.

And @JaguarCrazy2832...it would be much easier to say..."yeah, the league is what it is...no changes will be made." The problem is that we didn't create this league...we adopted this league. I would have structured this league different from the jump if I had started the league. But here we are. I'm honestly pretty flexible. I'm competitive, but I've been doing fantasy football competitively for a couple decades now. This is a fun league for me. I do think that there are ways to improve the league and keep it fresh without creating competitive disadvantages for teams.

I do think that @winitall has a legitimate concern. If let's say that a SF starts in 2023 (again...that's not necessarily the case...I'm just saying for arguments sake). Is two years enough to prepare for a significant change such as SF. Some will say yes...but some will say no. Those that do say no really have no other choice...for the sake of sanity...to overinvest in the QB the position NOW. I'm not sure that is fair. I don't want people going out and selecting Mac Jones in the 1st round out of fear of the unknown moving forward. The question is whether TWO years enough for people to not overreact to the unknown?

I think its plenty of time.  Would be better if we decided now to implement in 2023 as there would be three draft classes to prepare for it.  but even if we do it next year and have two draft classes to plan for it that should be fine.  Given there will be retirements, injuries, and guys declining while some come from nowhere,  nobody's standing now would have a huge impact on 2023.  

40 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Is two years enough to prepare for a significant change such as SF. Some will say yes...but some will say no. Those that do say no really have no other choice...for the sake of sanity...to overinvest in the QB the position NOW. I'm not sure that is fair.

I really don't think it has to be this dire. Per your suggestion, if we were to water down QB scoring to where it's more in line with WRs (for example), teams wouldn't HAVE to panic for QBs, because they aren't forced to play a QB there. Also, QB scoring already has an incredibly low variance. The difference between QB10 and QB20 from a points-per-game perspective is null. It's not like RB where you have huge, distinguishable tiers. 

For reference, last years QB11 in standard scoring was Kirk Cousins, who put up 19.9 points per game (per FantasyPros). Carson Wentz was QB22, and he put up 17.8 ppg. This notion that you're screwed at QB is wildly overblown. 

And I also totally agree with @Sllim Pickens, a 3 QB maximum would be necessary. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

14 minutes ago, deathstar said:

So come ‘22 off-season are you going to hold on to Akers?

Lol. I’m an FSU fan. I believe in Akers as a player and a person. He’s 21 years old with great work ethic. It’s not inconceivable that Henderson shows out and Akers comes back great...then I have two premium RBs that come from this. Or things can go sour. I can’t foresee a scenario that I would trade Akers right now. There is literally no chance I’d drop him. The only way I’d do that is if he came back and looked like a shell of his former self. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lol. I’m an FSU fan. I believe in Akers as a player and a person. He’s 21 years old with great work ethic. It’s not inconceivable that Henderson shows out and Akers comes back great...then I have two premium RBs that come from this. Or things can go sour. I can’t foresee a scenario that I would trade Akers right now. There is literally no chance I’d drop him. The only way I’d do that is if he came back and looked like a shell of his former self. 

Love it, sucks that it happened.

Few house keeping items:
- @HvacRaiderwill have Sony Michel as a keeper. Unfortunately ESPN locked the keepers sooner than the deadline I declare on this site, and we will not be able to edit them until after the draft. So Sony Michel is locked and not eligible to be drafted.

- I wanted to ensure everyone that @WE-R-Lions and I will do what we think is fair regarding large league setting changes in the future. I've both talk extensively about SuperFlex...and we wanted to reinforce that this will not be a SF league in 2021 or 2022, and it may start larger than that (if ever). We may push toward a 2 year build up as that is what most outside sources recommend as enough time to build up such a change. As it stands, this is not a superflex league and it may never be a superflex league. If a SuperFlex is ever started in this league, it will likely be accompanied with a reduction in QB scoring.

- The draft will start this Saturday. Enjoy!

15 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Few house keeping items:
- @HvacRaiderwill have Sony Michel as a keeper. Unfortunately ESPN locked the keepers sooner than the deadline I declare on this site, and we will not be able to edit them until after the draft. So Sony Michel is locked and not eligible to be drafted.

- I wanted to ensure everyone that @WE-R-Lions and I will do what we think is fair regarding large league setting changes in the future. I've both talk extensively about SuperFlex...and we wanted to reinforce that this will not be a SF league in 2021 or 2022, and it may start larger than that (if ever). We may push toward a 2 year build up as that is what most outside sources recommend as enough time to build up such a change. As it stands, this is not a superflex league and it may never be a superflex league. If a SuperFlex is ever started in this league, it will likely be accompanied with a reduction in QB scoring.

- The draft will start this Saturday. Enjoy!

The draft is on here correct?  ESPN alerted me the draft is tomorrow and it will likely auto pick on ESPN if we don't change that date.