The Dirty Dozen Dynasty league (Discussion thread)

sammymvpknight

27 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

For the record, I’m all for idp as long as the positions are meaningful and not just a few extra “bonus” points. In a lot of leagues idp scoring is almost an afterthought.

I say we put it up for vote next year. There are already a handful of pretty significant rule changes that could pass this year. But we can start thinking about the types of position/stats we’d consider for IDP

On 5/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Rule changes up for vote:

1. Eliminating K (effective 2022)
  2. Eliminating DEF (effective 2022)
  3. Increasing number of keepers from 12 to 13 (effective 2023)- details: no change this season. 
  4. Superflex league (effective 2023, modification of QB scoring)- details: no change this season. SuperFlex position replaces FLEX in 2023. If adopted, points/passing yard will reduce from 0.04 to 0.03. Scoring change would not go into effect until 2023. 

I’d appreciate 100% participation. This is your league, so we want your input. Majority wins. 

1. Yes. Kickers are useless

2. Yes. Team DEF is also useless

3. No. 12 is already a lot

4. No. I'm fine with Superflex leagues but "converting" to superflex from a regular league is always a mess.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:06 AM, sammymvpknight said:

Rule changes up for vote:

1. Eliminating K (effective 2022)
  2. Eliminating DEF (effective 2022)
  3. Increasing number of keepers from 12 to 13 (effective 2023)- details: no change this season. 
  4. Superflex league (effective 2023, modification of QB scoring)- details: no change this season. SuperFlex position replaces FLEX in 2023. If adopted, points/passing yard will reduce from 0.04 to 0.03. Scoring change would not go into effect until 2023. 

I’d appreciate 100% participation. This is your league, so we want your input. Majority wins. 

1 - Indifferent 
2 - Yes, eliminate

Thoughts: I don't mind kickers, mostly because the variance in scoring is, at most, about 10 points. It won't make or break a week, but holding/streaming the right guy can earn a win. I won't fight to keep them, either. D/ST can completely sway the results of a week if you have a defense go for 20+ points vs someone else's -5 point defense, for example. The variance is much larger for a position that is largely an afterthought. 

3 - Indifferent 
Thoughts: Part of me wants to vote No, because I like adding as much talent as we can to the draft. The other part of me wants to vote Yes, because increasing the number rewards managers that are drafting well & making prudent moves throughout the year. I lean Yes, but don't mind too much either way.

4 - Yes
Thoughts: Big yes. It's been in the air long enough for people to have been prepping their rosters for the transition, and with the surplus of fantasy-relevant QBs in the league it only makes sense for us to manufacturer value to the most important position in the sport. QBs are incredibly devalued in this league. 

@winitall @EaglesPeteC @deathstar

Would love to talk more about your reservations with Superflex. I think it's a necessary move with today's QB landscape, particularly in a dynasty league. I just went through the roster of every team in the league, and no fewer than 10 or 11 teams have an optimistic future at the QB position going into 2022, and this proposed change wouldn't take effect until 2023. It's the most important position in the sport, yet arguably the most devalued position in fantasy outside of K & D/ST. 

14 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Would love to talk more about your reservations with Superflex. I think it's a necessary move with today's QB landscape, particularly in a dynasty league. I just went through the roster of every team in the league, and no fewer than 10 or 11 teams have an optimistic future at the QB position going into 2022, and this proposed change wouldn't take effect until 2023. It's the most important position in the sport, yet arguably the most devalued position in fantasy outside of K & D/ST. 

Outside of adding Superflex to the league to add value to the QB position, An option could be to increase the the TD scoring for QB's from 4 to 6pt's for TD competitions. We could vote on this next year if Superflex doesn't pass this year?

Just a thought! 

1 minute ago, WE-R-Lions said:

Outside of adding Superflex to the league to add value to the QB position, An option could be to increase the the TD scoring for QB's from 4 to 6pt's for TD competitions. We could vote on this next year if Superflex doesn't pass this year?

Just a thought! 

Certainly an option. I was in a league that tried that exact change before ultimately converting to Superflex after that didn't give us the desired results. 

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I oppose it for the same reason you are for it. I have a very meh QB 2. You have 2 QB 1s. Having both Watson and Prescott play is a serious advantage for you, so it sounds great. Having Tua play every week, not so good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winitall said:

I oppose it for the same reason you are for it. I have a very meh QB 2. You have 2 QB 1s. Having both Watson and Prescott play is a serious advantage for you, so it sounds great. Having Tua play every week, not so good. 

We could have everyone drop to one qb for the first superflex draft thus neutralizing this concern. I would suspect that people with 2 good qbs currently would be opposed to that.

4 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

Just a thought! 

It’s been my experience that it doesn’t make a huge difference. There will be the same number of QBs selected. It’ll increase the value of the top QBs compared to average QBs slightly, but only the managers with QBs at the very top may care. 

To be honest, the only reason people don’t adopt SuperFlex is history. You grew up playing in fantasy when the RBs rule…and that’s what you’re comfortable with. QB is arguably the most important position in all of sports, but is it treated with the same regard as TEs in fantasy. They're a complete afterthought with our settings. I understand the reluctance, but SuperFlex does a much better of matching fantasy importance to real importance, comfort levels be damned. Reducing QB scoring with SuperFlex seems like a perfect compromise to ensure that QB doesn’t continue to be a complete joke. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, winitall said:

To be fair, I've been beating the Superflex drum for years now in this league (before I even had Watson). Idk if it's fair to call that the "reason [I'm] for it". 

I'd actually be very willing to negotiate a trade around Dak/Watson and Tua fwiw. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

On 5/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

In super flex the WORP - wins over replacement players - favors elite QBs tremendously. If you have two you’re essentially guaranteed a playoff spot. I like how this league doesn’t particularly value one position over the other; and I want to make sure everyone who doesn’t have two good QBs (tbh 2 good QBs plus 2-3 more who could provide spot starts) can compete. So I voted against it. 

8 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I’m in another league that is converting to SuperFlex and it’s a mess. Some teams just hoarded QB’s and others can’t get their hands on one to even field competitive rosters. 

Thus the reason why I suggested everyone dropping down to one QB for the first draft. This would eliminate this issue.

4 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Thus the reason why I suggested everyone dropping down to one QB for the first draft. This would eliminate this issue.

That would be tough for me as I just spent a 1st rd pk for my #2 QB last year (Lance), He only played 2 1/2 games last year & may not play this year?   For me that's like saying everyone drop their 1st Rd pk(s) last year to make it fair....

I do like how @deathstar laid this out:

"In super flex the WORP - wins over replacement players - favors elite QBs tremendously. If you have two you’re essentially guaranteed a playoff spot. I like how this league doesn’t particularly value one position over the other; and I want to make sure everyone who doesn’t have two good QBs (tbh 2 good QBs plus 2-3 more who could provide spot starts) can compete. So I voted against it. "

But with lowering the QB scoring & replacing the flex spot with a Supperflex vs adding a Supperflex spot I feel helps equal the playing field between Players & QB's.

@EaglesPeteC Indicated:

"I’m in another league that is converting to SuperFlex and it’s a mess. Some teams just hoarded QB’s and others can’t get their hands on one to even field competitive rosters."

That would be a problem.... I would suggest we limit teams to have up to 2 QB on their roster including 2022 drafted QB's. after the draft, it would leave:   32 NFL starting QB's,  possibly 24 taken, & 8 FA's.  (no hording)