David Bakhtiari fears torn ACL

rthom348

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Yes, 10 to 12 month recovery for ACL tears.

6 month recovery is doable.  But the risk of reinjury/retear is higher and reduces rather significantly for each month that return to play is "delayed".

OL is a little easier to return vs CB, RB, WR where speed and change of direction is more important. 

There is more research pointing to a timeline of around 9 months being a much safer return with respect to re-injury reduction.  This is based on ACL reconstruction and likely is a bit different for multiligament injuries and surgery/rehab timelines.  

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/13/804

Patients who returned to level I sports had a 4.32 (p=0.048) times higher reinjury rate than those who did not. The reinjury rate was significantly reduced by 51% for each month RTS was delayed until 9 months after surgery, after which no further risk reduction was observed. 38.2% of those who failed RTS criteria suffered reinjuries versus 5.6% of those who passed (HR 0.16, p=0.075). More symmetrical quadriceps strength prior to return significantly reduced the knee reinjury rate.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

6 month recovery is doable.  But the risk of reinjury/retear is higher and reduces rather significantly for each month that return to play is "delayed".

OL is a little easier to return vs CB, RB, WR where speed and change of direction is more important. 

There is more research pointing to a timeline of around 9 months being a much safer return with respect to re-injury reduction.  This is based on ACL reconstruction and likely is a bit different for multiligament injuries and surgery/rehab timelines.  

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/13/804

Patients who returned to level I sports had a 4.32 (p=0.048) times higher reinjury rate than those who did not. The reinjury rate was significantly reduced by 51% for each month RTS was delayed until 9 months after surgery, after which no further risk reduction was observed. 38.2% of those who failed RTS criteria suffered reinjuries versus 5.6% of those who passed (HR 0.16, p=0.075). More symmetrical quadriceps strength prior to return significantly reduced the knee reinjury rate.

Is the new FDA approved ACL surgery being implemented on professional athletes? Or do they wait for more data before going that route?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

what good are you

You are asking a question that I don't know the answer to.  

If you are referring to the BEAR technique, I know it is in research phases to compare the outcomes vs patellar tendon, hamstring and other techniques.

I don't think the rehab is drastically shorter in timeframe

17 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

packers give out ONE 3rd contract ever and then dude immediately destroys his knee lol 

It was still the right decision on a franchise player that you can’t often find in the draft, but I have a friend who now has an I told you so for at least the next 9 months. 

If we had a crystal ball we could have saved a whole lot of cap. Of course, everyone would be freaking out seeing 69 walk out of the building. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It was still the right decision on a franchise player that you can’t often find in the draft, but I have a friend who now has an I told you so for at least the next 9 months. 

If we had a crystal ball we could have saved a whole lot of cap. Of course, everyone would be freaking out seeing 69 walk out of the building. 

yeah no doubt it's the right move. just the paradoxical nature of the move by the FO and then subsequent injury less than a month later after moving on from countless guys because of injury concerns/wear n tear should serve as lore for future GM's of GB to never abstain from the teachings of Ted Thompson 

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

Simmons for the Titans did it in about 8 months and was starting soon after in his rookie year.  We’ll see but this obviously sounds like a full tear with surgery. Hopefully pounding beers will give him super healing powers.

All I can say is it's generally worked for me. 

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -    Three options (we've seen) for the Packers offensive line moving forward without David Bakhtiari

LT Billy Turner/RT Wagner
LT Rick Wagner/RT Turner
LT Elgton Jenkins/LG Runyan

Elgton Jenkins CAN play OT but I'd imagine keeping G-C-G intact would keep continuity inside...

////

Note - no Patrick.

I'd think they'd keep Jenkins inside. I think they'll be relying on the inside run for this game quite a bit. I mean, got to protect Rodgers. 

• Like 1