The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

9 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Aranda would have the same recruiting problems that Mullen has/has had. 

Hugh Freeze would probably be the best hire we could make but that’s not going to happen. 

It’s going to be an interesting upcoming week. 

Aranda was a monster recruiter at LSU. It looks like Bob Stoops, Billy Napier, and Luke Fickell are the top three guys we're targeting out of the gate.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Aranda was a monster recruiter at LSU. It looks like Bob Stoops, Billy Napier, and Luke Fickell are the top three guys we're targeting out of the gate.

and he’s been a mediocre recruiter at Baylor. He’s likely to gone west rather than east though  

Stoops is the popular name right now and that’s an absolute home run. I’m not as high on Napier as most - I think somewhere like Virginia Tech is a good spot for him. I also don’t believe Fickell will come here so he hasn’t even crossed my mind. 

38 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Of these three names I Like Napier the best. 

But would prefer Riley, Aranda, and Campbell. Maybe Kiffen too. 

I'm also starting to favor Napier. The more I read about him, the more he seems like the anti-Mullen. He understands the value of support staff, organization, assistants, and analytics.

47 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I…don’t understand the big game bob love. 

He has a cushy job.  He’s removed from coaching and recruiting. 

We really need to move forward. These nostalgia hires need to end. 

190-48 with a national title and chose Lincoln Riley as his heir apparent. Hard not to like him. He gives us instant credibility.

34 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

He’s also in his 60s. A few years removed from coaching and recruiting. 

IDK. Maybe I’m wrong. But it just seems like his a Name hire. And it reeks of desperation. It’s like a recall to the Spurrier days. 

He's 61. He could coach for a few years, build the program back up to an elite program, and then hand it off to an up-and-comer like he did at Oklahoma. It is a name hire. That name rebuilt an elite program, coached in four national championships as a HC, won a NC, and won 79.8% of his games. The idea that hiring a hall of fame HC reeks of desperation blows my mind.

The question for me is if he's interested. It's not whether I'd hire him. You don't turn down Bob Stoops if he's interested. Outside of Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier, this program has had little consistency. You don't turn your nose up at one of the most consistent winners of the past 30 years. Hiring Bob Stoops immediately changes how people perceive this program.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's 61. He could coach for a few years, build the program back up to an elite program, and then hand it off to an up-and-comer like he did at Oklahoma. It is a name hire. That name rebuilt an elite program, coached in four national championships as a HC, won a NC, and won 79.8% of his games. The idea that hiring a hall of fame HC reeks of desperation blows my mind.

The question for me is if he's interested. It's not whether I'd hire him. You don't turn down Bob Stoops if he's interested. Outside of Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier, this program has had little consistency. You don't turn your nose up at one of the most consistent winners of the past 30 years. Hiring Bob Stoops immediately changes how people perceive this program.

You very well may be right. Frankly I hope he turns it down since I don’t see Florida picking anyone ahead of him. 

I just don’t want the stopgap. I don’t want the safe hire. And that seems to be what Stoops is: a retired legendary coach asked to go on one more ride; with the hope of finding an heir before the fans turn on him. 

To your point Strickland needs to get this right so he might play it safe. One more botched hire and he’s likely gone. 

Damn. This made me realize how much I missed Foley. How bold he was. How willing he was to go outside of the Florida network. 

Yeah. I’m pretty firmly on the Clean Break camp. Find me someone who won’t be a legacy hire at Florida. 

Ridley. Napier. Kiffin. Aranda.

Edited by Texas_OutLaw7

7 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Damn. This made me realize how much I missed Foley. How bold he was. How willing he was to go outside of the Florida network. 

Yeah. I’m pretty firmly on the Clean Break camp. Find me someone who won’t be a legacy hire at Florida. 

Ridley. Napier. Kiffin. Aranda.

Reports on Aranda are that he wants to go to the West Coast. Kiffin is a bum. And Napier appears to one of the leaders. I'm good with Napier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Reports on Aranda are that he wants to go to the West Coast. Kiffin is a bum. And Napier appears to one of the leaders. I'm good with Napier.

I’d expect Aranda at either USC or UW when it’s all said and done. Kiffin to Miami seems like it’s destined to happen too. 

I think it comes down to Stoops, Cristobal, Napier. In that order - Stoops seems unlikely but you at least have to make the call. 

44 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I’d expect Aranda at either USC or UW when it’s all said and done. Kiffin to Miami seems like it’s destined to happen too. 

I think it comes down to Stoops, Cristobal, Napier. In that order - Stoops seems unlikely but you at least have to make the call. 

It sounds like Stoops and Napier are the two guys we've keyed on.