The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It sounds like Stoops and Napier are the two guys we've keyed on.

Makes sense. Like I said we have to make Stoops say no before we move on. Hiring Stoops would immediately change the culture of this program, IMO. 

I’m not as high on Napier as most but I wouldn’t hate it. However, I feel like UF can do better. 

55 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Makes sense. Like I said we have to make Stoops say no before we move on. Hiring Stoops would immediately change the culture of this program, IMO. 

I’m not as high on Napier as most but I wouldn’t hate it. However, I feel like UF can do better. 

I'm not as high on Cristobal as most. So I can respect we all have different perspectives on this.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I like the idea of a HC who understands how to build an organized program.

I’m hoping that’s the case. I’ve read some stuff about his loyalty to his staff and after dealing with Mac and DM having the same issue that ultimately lead to their demise has me worried. 

I’m of the opinion that UF could do better than Napier. I could be wrong in the long run and hopefully I am. This is a crucial hire for this program and if it doesn’t work out we will spiral to mediocrity.  

I know he has a lot of ties to some great coaches around the country so the staff he puts together will also be important. 

I'm perfectly okay with Napier. Has sustained success at a G5 program instead of having one good year with someone else's recruits like other G5 --> P5 coaches do. Is well known as a great recruiter from his days at Clemson and especially Alabama so he already has connections to high school coaches in the areas we want. 

Decent amount of risk going to the G5 well, especially with the importance of getting this hire right, but I really do think Napier has the biggest upside of all our likely candidates. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

I'm perfectly okay with Napier. Has sustained success at a G5 program instead of having one good year with someone else's recruits like other G5 --> P5 coaches do. Is well known as a great recruiter from his days at Clemson and especially Alabama so he already has connections to high school coaches in the areas we want. 

Decent amount of risk going to the G5 well, especially with the importance of getting this hire right, but I really do think Napier has the biggest upside of all our likely candidates. 

There are a lot of reasons why I like the hire, if he's the choice. Here are the three biggest for me:

1. His program got better each year he was there.

2. His team hasn't lost games to inferior opponents over the past three years. Every game they lost was to an equal or more talented team.

3. He is a relentless recruiter who understands the value of a large support staff, an organized recruiting apparatus, analysts, and analytics. That sort of organizational genius is badly needed here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Chiropractor I go to claims to know some Gator Boosters that are really high on Kiffin. Claims that if we land Kiffin that Arch Manning will commit to the Gators.

I believe very little of this - but thought it was interesting. 

Everything I've heard has said that Kiffin isn't in the running. And Arch Manning committing to us sounds like a fantasy.