The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

6 hours ago, Scalamania said:

At this point if it’s not Belk or Knowles it’ll be a major disappointment. 

It sounds to me like Knowles is #1 and Belk is #2. I'd expect we get one or the other. The other names I've heard are: Chris Rumph, Tim Skipper, Tosh Lupoi, and Desmond Kitchings. I'll be interested to see what he does at DB Coach. Could bring along Jeff Burris as CB Coach, could go after a big name like Derrick Ansley, or could go after an up-and-comer like Aazar Abdul-Rahim.

51 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It sounds to me like Knowles is #1 and Belk is #2. I'd expect we get one or the other. The other names I've heard are: Chris Rumph, Tim Skipper, Tosh Lupoi, and Desmond Kitchings. I'll be interested to see what he does at DB Coach. Could bring along Jeff Burris as CB Coach, could go after a big name like Derrick Ansley, or could go after an up-and-comer like Aazar Abdul-Rahim.

Don’t think I’d mind Tosh but he wouldn’t be first option. I would absolutely love AAR though (as a position coach). 

38 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Right now, rumor is that Knowles is staying, so Belk is our guy at DC.

I'm assuming this is in regards to what Gundy said? It just seemed like Gundy was speculating that he'll be there. He's due for a raise and I'm sure a lot of teams will come calling. I wouldn't count him out yet. 

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

I'm assuming this is in regards to what Gundy said? It just seemed like Gundy was speculating that he'll be there. He's due for a raise and I'm sure a lot of teams will come calling. I wouldn't count him out yet. 

More than that. Poster on a UF insider forum I'm on is saying he heard it from a source of his. Not making any guarantees he's right. Just saying that's the rumor.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If Belk stays at Houston, I wonder if we can lure Glenn Schumann away from UGA. As long as Lanning is there, he is blocked in terms of career progression.

If we miss on Belk I think one name to watch is Tosh - not sure how interested he would be in returning to college but him and Napier have ties. 

Realistically though, if we miss on Belk and Knowles I'm scared to see who we end up hiring to fill that spot. 

Kelly was actually open to dancing with several programs. When Florida’s job opened, its officials were alerted that Riley and Kelly were willing to move, sources tell SI. The Gators were already set on their No. 1 target and the coach they eventually hired, Napier. During the final week of the regular season as Oklahoma State was preparing to play Bedlam, at least one AD received an email from a marketing agent representing Mike Gundy, saying he was interested in the job.

I think this information was already posted but this article is pretty fun to read. 

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/03/college-football-brian-kelly-lincoln-riley-wild-week-daily-cover

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

If we miss on Belk I think one name to watch is Tosh - not sure how interested he would be in returning to college but him and Napier have ties. 

Realistically though, if we miss on Belk and Knowles I'm scared to see who we end up hiring to fill that spot. 

I'm not worried. Napier has connections to a lot of guys. He worked with the aforementioned Glenn Schumann, Jeremy Pruitt, and Belk at Bama. Dave Aranda hired his ULL DC, Ron Roberts, to go to Baylor. And Napier's current DC, Patrick Toney, is considered an up-and-comer. If he brings Toney, he could always hire a guy like Kevin Steele (worked with at Clemson and Bama) to be a Co-DC and give Toney an experienced SEC DC to bounce ideas off of (with Toney calling plays).

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not worried. Napier has connections to a lot of guys. He worked with the aforementioned Glenn Schumann, Jeremy Pruitt, and Belk at Bama. Dave Aranda hired his ULL DC, Ron Roberts, to go to Baylor. And Napier's current DC, Patrick Toney, is considered an up-and-comer. If he brings Toney, he could always hire a guy like Kevin Steele (worked with at Clemson and Bama) to be a Co-DC and give Toney an experienced SEC DC to bounce ideas off of (with Toney calling plays).

Kevin Steele wouldn’t be terrible but him bringing Toney is a legit fear of mine. That’s a huge jump for someone with little experience. 

I guess I’m at the point where I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Just seems like what happened when we hired McElwain or maybe it’s because we’ve hired one good coach in my 25 years following this program. 

Time will tell.