The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

Florida needs someone that can go in and recruit Miami and the rest of South Florida. 

And maybe more importantly, someone that can keep Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia out of the panhandle. 

Only way I'd hire Chip Kelly at Florida is if almost everyone on that staff has some sort of strong tie to different regions of the state. He can't bring his staff from previous jobs to Florida if he's a candidate. That won't work.

6 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Alright gents - give me your top five list in order. 

1. Bob Stoops

2. Chip Kelly

3. Scott Frost

4. Justin Fuente

5a. Matt Campbell (assuming no collapse)

5b. Hugh Freeze

(Okay, I cheated.)

2 hours ago, RollEagles said:

Florida needs someone that can go in and recruit Miami and the rest of South Florida. 

And maybe more importantly, someone that can keep Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia out of the panhandle. 

Only way I'd hire Chip Kelly at Florida is if almost everyone on that staff has some sort of strong tie to different regions of the state. He can't bring his staff from previous jobs to Florida if he's a candidate. That won't work.

If Chip Kelly wants the job, I'm handing it to him. His name, alone, will get him plenty of talent. Plus, he's already shown the ability to build dominant teams without elite recruiting. He's going to have access to better talent at UF than he did at Oregon. I'm not even remotely worried about Chip's recruiting. Let's say the guy only pulls classes in the 10 to 25 range each year, he's still going to do work. But the reality is that Chip was pulling top 25 classes at Oregon. He'd do just fine at UF.

7 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

1. Stoops - Again, if he has any interest in coaching again, he should be the guy. Regardless, force him to say no. 

2. Frost - Tough to ignore what he's done at UCF and him already having established relationships in Florida recruiting can only help matters. 

3. Fuente - Pipedream as I don't see any way he's leaving VT after two years, but he'd be a phenomenal fit. 

4. Kelly - I don't think he's the best fit, but you can't deny the man knows offense and things would be entertaining, to say the least. 

5. Campbell - I really like him, but I'm not sure he'd be a great fit here, but with what he's done at ISU he'll probably at least get a call. Seems like a Big Ten guy to me. 

Honestly, I'm really only interested in Stoops and Frost (at least in terms of realistic targets). Not, and never have been, a fan of Mullen being the head guy here and guys being thrown around like Norvell, Babers etc. seem like extreme reaches for us. Can't afford to **** this one up after the past two disasters. 

Edited by eggybucsfan31

Just now, eggybucsfan31 said:

1. Stoops - Again, if he has any interest in coaching again, he's the guy. 

2. Frost - Tough to ignore what he's done at UCF and him already having established relationships in Florida recruiting can only help matters. 

3. Fuente - Pipedream as I don't see any way he's leaving VT after two years, but he'd be a phenomenal fit. 

4. Kelly - I don't think he's the best fit, but you can't deny the man knows offense and things would be entertaining, to say the least. 

5. Campbell - I really like him, but I'm not sure he'd be a great fit here, but with what he's done at ISU he'll probably at least get a call. Seems like a Big Ten guy to me. 

Honestly, I'm really only interested in Stoops and Frost (at least in terms of realistic targets). Not, and never have been, a fan of Mullen being the head guy here and guys being thrown around like Norvell, Babers etc. seem like extreme reaches for us. Can't afford to **** this one up after the past two disasters. 

Why is Kelly not a good fit? His offense would be amazing with the plethora of speed in Florida, and his recruiting results at Oregon were quality. Based on what's being reported, Chip wants wherever he goes to give him a big recruiting budget to allow his assistants to do work. The guy's name, alone, will attract top talent to us.

I get people not thinking it will happen, but man, how could we possibly say no? He's as good of a college coach as anyone in the country.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Why is Kelly not a good fit? His offense would be amazing with the plethora of speed in Florida, and his recruiting results at Oregon were quality. Based on what's being reported, Chip wants wherever he goes to give him a big recruiting budget to allow his assistants to do work. The guy's name, alone, will attract top talent to us.

I get people not thinking it will happen, but man, how could we possibly say no? He's as good of a college coach as anyone in the country.

Not the best fit in terms of him and the boosters/administration, it's tough for me to see any way Kelly works out long term with them. Scheme wise there's no issue with fit or anything. 

Just now, eggybucsfan31 said:

Not the best fit in terms of him and the boosters/administration, it's tough for me to see any way Kelly works out long term with them. Scheme wise there's no issue with fit or anything. 

I think they'll take a backseat if he's winning (which he will).

13 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

1. Chip Kelly: I get why it won't happen. But his offense with Florida Speed? ALL THE POINTS.

2. Scott Frost: If we can't have Kelly, we might as well go after someone who learned from Chip & has already built roots in Florida.

3. Matt Campbell: Really impressive what he has done with the talent at Iowa State, can only image what he'd do here.

4. PJ Fleck: His name has cooled this season, but the passion and energy he'd bring to Florida would be exciting.

5. Justin Fuente: I doubt we get him. But it would be a home-run-hire.

I think Stoops is done Coaching. And while I think Florida made a mistake passing on Strong, I still don't think the Boosters have changed enough for him to be our hire. Mullen burned bridges on his way out. So neither of those three with strong ties to Florida will get the call.

Seems like we all have the same idea 

1. Justin Fuente

2. Bob Stoops (ONLY if he bring Spavital or Kliff, assuming he gets fired, as OC)

3. Scott Frost

4. Chip Kelly

5. Charlie Strong

It's a damn shame we missed the boat on Taggart because he's the best fit for us. 

If you’re hoping Chip Kelly becomes the next coach of your favorite SEC team, a recently passed conference bylaw could stand in the way.

On Monday, college football analyst Brett McMurphy reported that “there could be some challenges” for Kelly to become a consideration for an SEC job because of Bylaw 19.8.1.2, which requires a school’s president or chancellor to “consult directly” with SEC commissioner Greg Sankey before considering hiring a coach who has had any major NCAA infractions.

In June 2013, the NCAA gave Kelly an 18-month show-cause penalty for a failure to monitor his Oregon program. McMurphy writes that the bylaw could keep Kelly from becoming an SEC coach, even with the penalty expired. For example, McMurphy writes that “there is no way Florida will take a chance on Kelly” after the school parted ways with Jim McElwain on Sunday.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/report-sec-bylaw-prevent-chip-kelly-coaching-conference

2 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Sounds like Taggart may be in play, he's got a $4.3m buyout. 

Now this is interesting. I suspect the same Boosters who blocked Strong will try to strong-arm UAA into looking elsewhere. But hopefully those voices are being silenced and he does in fact become an option.