The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

I don't get the Taggart love. Yea, he can recruit. So what? So could Zook. Recruiting is less important to me than coaching. We are going to pull talent no matter what. Taggart has a losing record after his seven years of being a HC. I don't want the guy. I'd rather have Dan Mullen than Taggart.

Edited by jrry32

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't get the Taggart love. Yea, he can recruit. So what? So could Zook. Recruiting is less important to me than coaching. We are going to pull talent no matter what. Taggart has a losing record after his seven years of being a HC. I don't want the guy. I'd rather have Dan Mullen than Taggart.

Taggart took a WKU team that lost 26 games in a row to 7 wins in three years (and now they're a pretty good G5 program) and took a USF team that was left in total disarray by Holtz had them winning 10 games in four years. Even look at Oregon, they were 4-8 last year, and he had them 4-1 and ranked before Herbert got hurt. He's got a proven record when it comes to turning programs around, which is exactly something that we should be looking for. 

If he's truly on the table, I'm taking him over Frost no question. He'd likely bring Cristobal with him as well, which is only a plus when it comes to recruiting. 

5 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Taggart took a WKU team that lost 26 games in a row to 7 wins in three years (and now they're a pretty good G5 program) and took a USF team that was left in total disarray by Holtz had them winning 10 games in four years. Even look at Oregon, they were 4-8 last year, and he had them 4-1 and ranked before Herbert got hurt. He's got a proven record when it comes to turning programs around, which is exactly something that we should be looking for. 

If he's truly on the table, I'm taking him over Frost no question. He'd likely bring Cristobal with him as well, which is only a plus when it comes to recruiting. 

I don't care about recruiting. Anyone can recruit at Florida. You talk about him turning programs around, but he hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove that he has staying power. He has a losing record as a HC. Who are his biggest wins over as a HC? There are a lot of "buts" and "ifs" with Taggart but not enough substance for me.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Hugh Freeze and would prefer him way before Taggart. You want to talk about recruiting and a guy who built a program up, Freeze has a much better resume.

I'm also taking Frost over Taggart without a second thought. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I don't care about recruiting. Anyone can recruit at Florida. You talk about him turning programs around, but he hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove that he has staying power. He has a losing record as a HC. Who are his biggest wins over as a HC? There are a lot of "buts" and "ifs" with Taggart but not enough substance for me.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Hugh Freeze and would prefer him way before Taggart. You want to talk about recruiting and a guy who built a program up, Freeze has a much better resume.

I'm also taking Frost over Taggart without a second thought. 

Turning two programs from dumpster fires to competitive programs is a lot better for me than staying somewhere for 6-8 years to prove staying power (can't you make that same argument against Frost as well?). Rebuilding USF shows that what he did at WKU wasn't a fluke. You can point to his record all you want, but you have to take into account the state of the two programs when he arrived there. 

Yeah, Freeze rebuilt Ole Miss, but he destroyed it just as quickly. If we want someone like that and watch the world burn around us, might as well just call up Kiffin instead. 

That's fine, as I'm completely fine with Frost too, but if Taggart is truly in play (which I'm still skeptical about, could be just agent speak), he's IMO our best option outside Stoops/Kelly. 

3 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Turning two programs from dumpster fires to competitive programs is a lot better for me than staying somewhere for 6-8 years to prove staying power (can't you make that same argument against Frost as well?). Rebuilding USF shows that what he did at WKU wasn't a fluke. You can point to his record all you want, but you have to take into account the state of the two programs when he arrived there. 

Yeah, Freeze rebuilt Ole Miss, but he destroyed it just as quickly. If we want someone like that and watch the world burn around us, might as well just call up Kiffin instead. 

That's fine, as I'm completely fine with Frost too, but if Taggart is truly in play (which I'm still skeptical about, could be just agent speak), he's IMO our best option outside Stoops/Kelly. 

At the same time, we've seen guys turn around programs quicker than Taggart. Scott Frost is a great example of that. As for what he did at WKU, he never saw it through. Even at USF, he didn't quite see it through. Fact is that he hasn't yet had an elite season. That's not Florida-caliber. We are an elite program. We made that mistake with McElwain. Let's not do it again.

Freeze didn't destroy Ole Miss. That program likely has another strong year this year if it didn't fire him. He stocked the well. If they can't do anything with it, that's their own failure.

And don't even compare him to Kiffin. When has Kiffin ever done what Freeze did? Kiffin was an underachiever at USC. Freeze overachieved at Ole Miss. Freeze is a much better coach.

You're high if you think Taggart is our best option outside of Kelly and Stoops imo. For a guy who has been coaching for seven years, he's not that accomplished. 

Hugh Freeze is not going to be the head coach at Florida or the head coach anywhere for the next couple of years, so it's pointless to continue to bring him up. 

It's either going to be (in this order) Frost, Taggart or Norvell - unfortunately for us it doesn't seem like Fuente is an option right now. 

This is from the UCF staff writer on the UCF board on TOS. From different sources but sounds like it’s very similar info as was posted above in regards to Frost being UF’s clear #1 choice and Frost being on board whenever the official offer comes. I’m sure no contract will be signed until UCF’s regular season is over but that doesn’t stop Frost’s agent and Stricklin from getting everything worked out in principle so they are ready to move fast when UCF ‘s regular season is done or their conference championship which is December 2nd if they make it. 

“So here's the latest I have regarding Frost and the Florida opening... 

I've spent today gathering some more info. A source told me Florida has zeroed in on Frost as their top target, and boosters have already been in contract with Frost's representatives, gauging his interest in Florida. I was also told Steve Spurrier, who's a consultant for Florida athletics, gave his blessing to Stricklin on Frost as the top choice. Florida is fearful they could lose Frost to Nebraska if that job comes open. They're going after him immediately. Things could escalate quickly between Florida and Frost. However - if he is offered and accepts the job - I doubt he leaves UCF prior to their potential conference championship game in December.” 

On Wednesday, Spurrier was on FoxSports Radio’s ‘Outkick the Coverage’ with Clay Travis where he was asked if he has reached out to Stoops for the Florida job.

“Oh, I called him and said if you want this job, we’ll put your name in the pot,” Spurrier said lightheartedly. “He hasn’t called back yet. I don’t know if he got the message or not. But, I seriously doubt that Bobby wants to do it again, but that certainly would be his call. If he wanted to, I’m sure there are a lot schools that would love to have him.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/steve-spurrier-says-called-bob-stoops-florida-job/

3 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Hugh Freeze is not going to be the head coach at Florida or the head coach anywhere for the next couple of years, so it's pointless to continue to bring him up. 

It's either going to be (in this order) Frost, Taggart or Norvell - unfortunately for us it doesn't seem like Fuente is an option right now. 

Winners make bold moves. Losers make excuses.

If you can bring up Taggart, I certainly can bring up Freeze.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Winners make bold moves. Losers make excuses.

If you can bring up Taggart, I certainly can bring up Freeze.

Hugh Freeze and Kelly are both unrealistic options - you can believe or think whatever you'd like but neither are going to happen. 

While you may not like Taggart, he's a realistic option at this point and is worth being discussed, unlike Freeze and Kelly.

2 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Hugh Freeze and Kelly are both unrealistic options - you can believe or think whatever you'd like but neither are going to happen. 

While you may not like Taggart, he's a realistic option at this point and is worth being discussed, unlike Freeze and Kelly.

A guy with a losing record after seven years as a HC is not going to sell to the boosters and fans. He's not a realistic option for the same reasons that Freeze isn't. There will be too much blowback.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

A guy with a losing record after seven years as a HC is not going to sell to the boosters and fans. He's not a realistic option for the same reasons that Freeze isn't. There will be too much blowback.

He is very much a realistic option - he's done wonders for two programs (like @eggybucsfan31 pointed out) already and he's done a wonderful job turning a putrid Oregon squad around quickly. Also, had he still been at USF he would've achieved back to back 10 win seasons. 

...just because YOU don't want him doesn't mean he isn't a realistic option. 

5 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

He is very much a realistic option - he's done wonders for two programs (like @eggybucsfan31 pointed out) already and he's done a wonderful job turning a putrid Oregon squad around quickly. Also, had he still been at USF he would've achieved back to back 10 win seasons. 

...just because YOU don't want him doesn't mean he isn't a realistic option. 

One can say the exact same thing to you. Difference is that I'm aware enough to realize that my guy isn't a realistic option. On the other hand, you think a guy with a 45-49 career record and ZERO career bowl wins is a realistic option here. Let me know how that one goes over with the fans. The AD knows it would not go well, and that's why they'll steer clear.

A putrid Oregon squad? They went 33-8 in the three years prior to that 4-8 record in 2016. Stop with the hyperbole.

Edited by jrry32