The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Might as well save Franks for the next coach at this point, but Zaire doesn't fix our issues, unfortunately.

Man honestly I'm so down on Frank's right now that I don't know if he can be saved. He's  got the worst awareness / pocket presence I've seen since Brantley was behind center. 

Edited by Remixxxxxxx

Just now, Remixxxxxxx said:

Man honestly I'm so down on Frank's right now that I don't know if he can be saved. Yes got the worst awareness / pocket presence I've seen since Brantley was behind center. 

Kid's issues are mental. It's coaching. Kind of like how Muschamp made Brissett and Driskel look like total garbage. 

3 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

At least we don’t have to worry about Shannon being our Orgeron. 

I said the same thing. Thank you, Randy.

It's amazing to me that the UAB team we play later this year (a team scheduled to be a cupcake) has a better coach than we do.(and did entering the year as well)

24 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

so we're probably going to get embarrassed again next week by Muschamp - that's going to sting. 

It's going to sting for me because Muschamp has lowered expectations at South Carolina so much that they're content with his mediocrity.

But yea, now Norvell is getting a lot of buzz. I really hope we don't botch this one.

1 minute ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

I'm really, really, shaky on Norvell, but I'd take him over Mullen. I want absolutely nothing to do with Mullen. Dude is as average as it gets, a place like Miss State is exactly where he belongs. 

I don't know. It would depend on Mullen's staff. If he could bring some guys who have proven that they can really recruit Florida, I'd go with Mullen. I disagree that he's average. Mississippi State has really overachieved with him there. But he's not near the top of my list.

Edited by jrry32

Just now, jrry32 said:

I don't know. It would depend on Mullen's staff. If he could bring some guys who have proven that they can really recruit Florida, I'd go with Mullen. I disagree that he's average. Mississippi State has really overachieved with him there. But he's not near the top of my list.

I'm not taking away anything he's done in Starkville, I just think that's his level, a 7-9 win coach at a program that is completely okay with that. IMO he'd be a monumental flop at any top-tier program with expectations. IIRC, he's something like 6-30 against ranked opponents.

If Mullen is our guy, I hope it's because all of Frost, Taggart, Fuente, Stoops, Kelly, Norvell, Campbell and even guys like Miles and Petrino said no. 

9 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

I'm not taking away anything he's done in Starkville, I just think that's his level, a 7-9 win coach at a program that is completely okay with that. IMO he'd be a monumental flop at any top-tier program with expectations. IIRC, he's something like 6-30 against ranked opponents.

If Mullen is our guy, I hope it's because all of Frost, Taggart, Fuente, Stoops, Kelly, Norvell, Campbell and even guys like Miles and Petrino said no. 

I'm not sure how you can prefer Taggart to Mullen.

As for Mullen at MSU, it's not like Nick Saban was dominant at a different MSU. But he rebuilt the program and showed he could be dominant with the big dogs when he got his chance. This is Mullen's ninth year at MSU, and he only has two losing seasons (one of which was a 6-7 season). He looks poised to post another 9 or 10-win season. This will be his 8th bowl appearance at a school that only had 13 bowl appearances before him despite playing CFB since 1895. And he's doing all of this in the SEC.

Edited by jrry32

I think Mullen would be a good hire but it doesn't come without just a little risk. 

He has done really well at MSU without elite talent. I remember the story on MSU with Dak Prescott being that Dak was what made those teams tick. And that's really how Alabama beat MSU every year. Just take away Dak and you beat MSU.

Winning without elite talent is a plus in many ways but also raises questions about recruiting. Yes, it's MSU. And yes, he was recruiting against one of the all-time worst recruiting violator regimes in-state (Ole Miss with Hugh Freeze).

I'm sure he'll get talent to Florida just as most other coaches would. However, I honestly believe that the next coach will have 2 major issues to overcome that McElwain and Muschamp didn't have to deal with as much.

1. Florida has been down for a significant amount of time. There's kind of a narrative around Florida right now. I'm sure a flashy hire would help that. McElwain was anything but a flashy hire. But I think that McElwain and Muschamp did a bit of damage to that image Florida built up. 
  2. The athletic facilities need work. That's something that people have talked about for a while. The current facilities really hurt in terms of recruiting. 

I want to believe that Mullen with his ties to the region would overcome the image problem. He's an established winner with ties to the school. I think he'd be able to recruit well enough to compete. 

The bottom line for any hire is going to be getting Florida to catch up with Georgia very soon. And based on the talent that Kirby Smart is amassing in Athens, that's going to be a really tall order for the next Florida coach.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

I think Mullen would be a good hire but it doesn't come without just a little risk. He has done really well at MSU without elite talent. I remember the story on MSU with Dak Prescott being that Dak was what made those teams tick. And that's really how Alabama beat MSU every year. Just take away Dak and you beat MSU.

Of course, they're winning again with Nick Fitzgerald. They also had success before Dak.

Winning without elite talent is a plus in many ways but also raises questions about recruiting. Yes, it's MSU. And yes, he was recruiting against one of the all-time worst recruiting violator regimes in-state (Ole Miss with Hugh Freeze).

That's my concern with Mullen. However, he recruited fairly well for the program he was at.

EDIT: And speaking of Hugh Freeze, I wish Florida would consider him if he's not show-caused.

I'm sure he'll get talent to Florida just as most other coaches would. However, I honestly believe that the next coach will have 2 major issues to overcome that McElwain and Muschamp didn't have to deal with as much.

1. Florida has been down for a significant amount of time. There's kind of a narrative around Florida right now. I'm sure a flashy hire would help that. McElwain was anything but a flashy hire. But I think that McElwain and Muschamp did a bit of damage to that image Florida built up. 
  2. The athletic facilities need work. That's something that people have talked about for a while. The current facilities really hurt in terms of recruiting. 

I want to believe that Mullen with his ties to the region would overcome the image problem. He's an established winner with ties to the school. I think he'd be able to recruit well enough to compete. 

Basically anyone can recruit at UF. My demand of Mullen is that I'd need him to bring in staff who recruit Florida incredibly well.

The bottom line for any hire is going to be getting Florida to catch up with Georgia very soon. And based on the talent that Kirby Smart is amassing in Athens, that's going to be a really tall order for the next Florida coach.

I think player development, coaching, and scheme will mean more to Florida than recruiting. Florida is going to land strong classes no matter what. Mac was a sucky recruiter. He still did just fine. If you look at guys like Dantonio and Petersen, they build teams that can compete with anyone despite not landing elite recruiting classes because they're great coaches.

I'm willing to sacrifice recruiting for coaching because we're going to recruit either ways. The question is if Mullen is the type of guy who can develop players and coach at that level. I don't know.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1