The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

48 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If we whiff on Kelly and Frost (and Gundy and Leach aren't options), this program needs to hire Les Miles. It's time to get back to respectability.

Ugh. No thanks. If not Frost, I want Taggart. He would kill it at Florida. I really don't understand your ambivalence towards him. 

1 minute ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Ugh. No thanks. If not Frost, I want Taggart. He would kill it at Florida. I really don't understand your ambivalence towards him. 

He hasn't won anywhere. He has one great year under his belt at USF in seven years as a HC. It's very obvious where my ambivalence comes from on him. I don't think he's done enough to earn our job. Les Miles is a proven winner with a long track record of success in the SEC.

Edited by jrry32

Florida needs someone who is here for the long haul. We need someone who is committed and capable or staying here at least a decade - and the only two options are Frost and Taggart. 

I get the reluctantly towards Taggart but given the chance (with the current staff he has) I think he's a consistent 9 win guy.

Regardless of how we all feel, this program can not whiff on another hire or we're going to end up like Texas or Tennessee. This is a huge decision for the administration and I hope they make the right choice. 

21 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Florida needs someone who is here for the long haul. We need someone who is committed and capable or staying here at least a decade - and the only two options are Frost and Taggart. 

I get the reluctantly towards Taggart but given the chance (with the current staff he has) I think he's a consistent 9 win guy.

Regardless of how we all feel, this program can not whiff on another hire or we're going to end up like Texas or Tennessee. This is a huge decision for the administration and I hope they make the right choice. 

Especially given how this Kelly Saga has unfolded, this new AD can't afford to miss. Confidence would be leaking. 

Frost isn't going to happen, might as well put the full press on Taggart. If he was still at USF, he'd be just as desired by UF fans as Frost is. One season at Oregon where he was down to a walk-on at QB doesn't change anything about him. He had Helfrich's Oregon 4-1 before Herbert got hurt. 

It's the obvious move, he's young, he's got a cheap buyout and he already knows the area and all of the high school coaches in FL, so recruiting won't take a hit this year or next, he likely brings Cristobal with him as well, so that's another plus on the recruiting front. Use the money saved on going from Kelly/Frost to Taggart and use it to go after a good OC (Spavital, Cumbie, Gilbert, Heupel, hell even Kingsbury if he gets fired). 

16 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Frost isn't going to happen, might as well put the full press on Taggart. If he was still at USF, he'd be just as desired by UF fans as Frost is. One season at Oregon where he was down to a walk-on at QB doesn't change anything about him. He had Helfrich's Oregon 4-1 before Herbert got hurt. 

It's the obvious move, he's young, he's got a cheap buyout and he already knows the area and all of the high school coaches in FL, so recruiting won't take a hit this year or next, he likely brings Cristobal with him as well, so that's another plus on the recruiting front. Use the money saved on going from Kelly/Frost to Taggart and use it to go after a good OC (Spavital, Cumbie, Gilbert, Heupel, hell even Kingsbury if he gets fired). 

Agreed. I've been on the Taggart train for a while and think he'd be a great hire. Him and Frost are 1A and 1B for me

45 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

The one thing I can say is that he has a great staff. That does give me some confidence in him. Jim Leavitt is amazing. I still think Les Miles is the safest hire we can make if we whiff on our top guys.

14 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

If we can't get Taggart, then I'm alright with Miles. Give him 3-4 years to stabilize things and bring in whoever to succeed him, maybe a HCIW type-deal we were talking about with Stoops a while ago. 

I think that's our best bet if things don't go our way, even over Taggart. But I've come to accept Taggart, and I'll be behind him 110% if he's the guy. I still am disappointed that we won't consider Freeze, but I knew we never would. 

There's only one hire that would make me not support this program: Lame Kitten.

Edited by jrry32

1 hour ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

I can’t even blame Nuss anymore, Franks is straight trash. 

Franks is straight trash because his coaching is straight trash. It's all mental. It's kind of like how people assumed Goff couldn't play last year when he didn't have anyone competent coaching him and played in a terrible offensive scheme.