The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

On 10/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, jrry32 said:

Crapelwain is a master of surviving. We'll end up 7-4 or 8-3 before the bowl game.

Probably looking at losses to A&M and FSU and possible SCAR - definitely going to lose to UGA. Which means the only two guaranteed wins left are Missouri and UAB.

That leaves us at 5-6 for the year, which would hopefully signal the end for McElwain. 

I'm so shocked that so few UF fans see how bad this coaching staff. We have a hella talented team being held back by bad coaching. The fact that Franks still keeps taking losses outside the pocket instead of throwing it away speaks to how bad the coaching is. Shannon's schemes, planning, and play-calling are unimpressive. And we all know how terrible the offense is to watch. It seems like our big plays are due to the players and in spite of the coaches (ex. Franks's 79-yard run).

Edited by jrry32

7 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

This staff simply has to go. Also, I don’t think Franks is the guy either. His decision making is absolutely brutal. 

Maybe. Maybe not. Look at how terrible Brissett and Driskel looked under Muschamp. Coaching makes a world of difference. Hell, even Grier didn't look that great in this offense, but he looks awesome at WVU. Franks doesn't look like he's being coached at all. He doesn't know to throw the ball away. He won't stand tall in the pocket and scan the field. He has no idea what to do when his first read is taken away. And our terrible play-calling does nothing to help him out.

This team has a lot of talent. This coaching staff is just trash.

I know he'll never receive any consideration, but Bill Clark of UAB really intrigues me. UAB went 23-61 in the 7 years prior to Clark arriving at UAB (including 2-10 the year before Clark). UAB goes 6-6 in Clark's first year. They have players like J.J. Nelson, Jordan Howard, Gerald Everett, Jamari Staples, Jake Ganus, etc. The program gets shut down after that one year. They finally reinstate the program and begin playing football again this year. UAB is 4-2 this year. They haven't played anybody good, but they're still in the Sun Belt competing with teams despite having no football team since 2014 until this year.

That's amazing to me. It would be ballsy as hell to hire a guy with such a limited track record, but the guy is doing incredibly impressive things considering the hand he was dealt. But it would take major balls to make a hire like that. I just don't see any Florida AD taking that chance considering the options we'll have.

24 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Mac is done and after the thrashing we get in two weeks it will be a done deal. 

With that said, give me your realistic staff (HC, OC, DC) to replace Mac and Co..

HC - Mike Leach

OC - Jake Spavital

DC - John Chavis

For me:

HC - Scott Frost

OC - Troy Walters

DC - Erik Chinander

I actually would really like the idea of Jake Spavital if we hired Bob Stoops. He could be the Coach-In-Waiting.

Edited by jrry32

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

For me:

HC - Scott Frost

OC - Troy Walters

DC - Erik Chinander

I actually would really like the idea of Jake Spavital if we hired Bob Stoops. He could be the Coach-In-Waiting.

Absolutely love Frost - but he's going to Nebraska. He would definitely be my top choice, though. 

44 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

HC - Bob Stoops (I don't buy the whole "I'm not coaching again" stuff)

OC - Jedd Fisch

DC - Ted Roof

Only staff members I'd keep around are Seider and Skipper, everyone else can kick rocks. 

Stoops is only coaching at Notre Dame, IMO. 

45 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

HC - Bob Stoops (I don't buy the whole "I'm not coaching again" stuff)

OC - Jedd Fisch

DC - Ted Roof

Only staff members I'd keep around are Seider and Skipper, everyone else can kick rocks. 

We can do better than that. If we get Stoops, we need to bring in a young hot-shot OC to be a Coach-In-Waiting. Fisch is not any of those things.

1 minute ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Absolutely love Frost - but he's going to Nebraska. He would definitely be my top choice, though. 

You never know. We offer a lot more than Nebraska. Obviously, we can't offer him one thing they can, but that might not be enough.

1 minute ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Stoops is only coaching at Notre Dame, IMO. 

Why? He has no connection to Notre Dame and was our DC here under Spurrier when we won a NC. If Stoops wants to coach again, I think Florida will be near the top of the list (if not #1). I'd be happy with that if (as I said before) he does what he did at OU with Lincoln Riley.(hires an up-and-coming OC to be his predecessor) One name that I think fits there is Sterlin Gilbert. Jake Spavital is another intriguing name. Wes Phillips is a name from the NFL that would be worth monitoring as an OC.