BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, it made sense to save that money and spend it on a cornerback, defensive tackle, or offensive line depth. Now they're sitting here having spent a second-round pick on a backup running back.

Unless they thought that Jones moved the needle more than the guys they could get in FA.

That said, I'm not going to try to defend last year's draft class.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Unless they thought that Jones moved the needle more than the guys they could get in FA.

That said, I'm not going to try to defend last year's draft class.

If Dillon hadn't looked good when he got a chance last year, I would agree. But you can't tell me they seriously looked at our CB depth chart and thought this team is better off addressing the running back position in free agency.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

If Dillon hadn't looked good when he got a chance last year, I would agree. But you can't tell me they seriously looked at our CB depth chart and thought this team is better off addressing the running back position in free agency.

I dont disagree in theory, but who at CB do you see available in FA that we could sign who would actually move the needle?

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I dont disagree in theory, but who at CB do you see available in FA that we could sign who would actually move the needle?

Rhodes, Peterson, Sherman would all be major upgrades on Kevin King even if they play as well as they did last year and come relatively cheaply because of age. Will Jackson is a young-ish guy who's been great at times. Shaq Griffin and Quinton Dunbar aren't anything special but could come cheap in a cap-tight year.

And all of them are massive upgrades over Josh Jackson and Ka'dar Hollman, who currently top our depth chart opposite Jaire.

Edited by Blue

43 minutes ago, Blue said:

Rhodes, Peterson, Sherman would all be major upgrades on Kevin King even if they play as well as they did last year and come relatively cheaply because of age. Will Jackson is a young-ish guy who's been great at times. Shaq Griffin and Quinton Dunbar aren't anything special but could come cheap in a cap-tight year.

And all of them are massive upgrades over Josh Jackson and Ka'dar Hollman, who currently top our depth chart opposite Jaire.

I agree with all of that.  However, my point remains in that I don't think any of those guys move the needle as much as Aaron Jones.  Maybe if one of those vets signs on a cheap one-year deal and has a resurgence, but that's a bigger risk than Jones(especially if the deal is incentive-based).

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I agree with all of that.  However, my point remains in that I don't think any of those guys move the needle as much as Aaron Jones.  Maybe if one of those vets signs on a cheap one-year deal and has a resurgence, but that's a bigger risk than Jones(especially if the deal is incentive-based).

I think you're grossly overrating the drop-off from Jones to Dillon and the value of running backs in general.

11 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Expected more than 11.25m apy for JJIII. Good get for Cleveland for sure. Helps us with Simmons too I guess.

If Simmons and Denver get a deal done this year. Next off season’s deals project to be absurdly richer with the new TV deals.