BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Um. No. I am a PSU fan. First of all, I dont think Oweh will live up to any of the hype. Second of all, I see Parsons as being very similar to Navarro Bowman pre-injury.

I think Parsons best position is absolutely Off ball LB in the NFL but can, imo, play OLB

Well now I'm really confused because I don't know why you would even bring up Parsons as an Edge at all in that case.

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well now I'm really confused because I don't know why you would even bring up Parsons as an Edge at all in that case.

I'm simply saying in the NFL, who knows what a coach will do.  Having said that, when I said Edge that was a mistake. I was referring to him as being used outside. But I could see an NFL coach trying to force him to be a 4-3 End which would be a major mistake.

Edited by wwhickok

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm simply saying in the NFL, who knows what a coach will do.  Having said that, when I said Edge that was a mistake. I was referring to him as being used outside. But I could see an NFL coach trying to force him to be a 4-3 End which would be a major mistake.

...why? That's like saying you could see a team using Zach Wilson at safety.

52 minutes ago, Blue said:

...why? That's like saying you could see a team using Zach Wilson at safety.

That’s not even remotely close. That’s the different side of the ball. Parsons came to PSU as a defensive end. LBer is also front 7 on defense. Will he play end? No. But could he be used to rush off the edge on passing downs or long to go situations on a four man line? He very well could. A creative defensive mind may use him there. But he will not play every down 4-3 end. His arms are too short and he hasn’t played it in years. But come on. WW saying that is nothing like saying a team could use Zach Wilson at safety. 

38 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

That’s not even remotely close. That’s the different side of the ball. Parsons came to PSU as a defensive end. LBer is also front 7 on defense. Will he play end? No. But could he be used to rush off the edge on passing downs or long to go situations on a four man line? He very well could. A creative defensive mind may use him there. But he will not play every down 4-3 end. His arms are too short and he hasn’t played it in years. But come on. WW saying that is nothing like saying a team could use Zach Wilson at safety. 

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Thought he was recruited as a backer.

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Thought he was recruited as a backer.

I don’t think they ever had any intention of playing him at end. But he was the #2 WDE prospect in the country, as he was an end in high school. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

I don’t think they ever had any intention of playing him at end. But he was the #2 WDE prospect in the country, as he was an end in high school. 

Or #1 depending on the recruiting site.

“The 5-star prospect is the top-ranked player from his home state, top-ranked weak-side defensive end in the nation and fourth-ranked overall player, per 247sports.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Or #1 depending on the recruiting site.

“The 5-star prospect is the top-ranked player from his home state, top-ranked weak-side defensive end in the nation and fourth-ranked overall player, per 247sports.”

True and the reality is, a DE can have many different builds in different levels of competition. In the NFL teams typically look for a certain type but purely size wise, Parsons does have the size and athleticism for 4-3 DE. 

Having said that I think off ball LB in a 3-4 is his best fit.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

TL;DR

Oweh is the 3rd best pass rusher on his own college team...which didn’t exactly perform well this year.

Already been seeing the inevitable "but Danielle Hunter" comps.

• Like 1