BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

8 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

@rackcs likes Oweh I believe 

I do, I'm a sucker for guys with physical traits. Can't teach that but can teach the stuff that he doesn't know. I see a lot of traits and flashes of the skills he needs to be a great pass rusher. Also, Oweh is already a very good run stopper so I think there's a way for him to get on the field early while he develops. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

I do, I'm a sucker for guys with physical traits. Can't teach that but can teach the stuff that he doesn't know. I see a lot of traits and flashes of the skills he needs to be a great pass rusher. Also, Oweh is already a very good run stopper so I think there's a way for him to get on the field early while he develops. 

It's not about you, but I hate this logic. You can't teach work ethic, smarts, or leadership either, but that doesn't stop NFL teams from trying.

6 hours ago, Blue said:

It's not about you, but I hate this logic. You can't teach work ethic, smarts, or leadership either, but that doesn't stop NFL teams from trying.

Yeah that's fair and a different conversation. I haven't done a deep dive into Oweh so I don't know if he's got those issues or not. Physical freak upside guys don't appeal to me as much when they're known to be lazy or have work ethic problems. It's one of the reasons I like Ojulari so much. All of the physical upside stuff and he's known to be a high character individual.

11 hours ago, rackcs said:

My issues with him are fairly universal ones with DL prospects as a whole. He has sloppy to terrible footwork and almost zero technical ability to use his hands, and while he has prototypical size and Jevon Kearse freaklike athleticism and age consideration (he's really young), he's going to get man handled with those issues. Throw in the fact that he's already getting out positioned on single blocks and lacks bulk for his frame (can be addressed as you said), he also has slow instincts.

Now, he does have a high motor/effort and is very explosive, but he struggles to play in space despite his athleticism, so I see him as a definite 4-3 hand in the dirt DE.

Most importantly...he doesn't have much in the way of production as an EDGE rusher.

JMHO 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

My issues with him are fairly universal ones with DL prospects as a whole. He has sloppy to terrible footwork and almost zero technical ability to use his hands, and while he has prototypical size and Jevon Kearse freaklike athleticism and age consideration (he's really young), he's going to get man handled with those issues. Throw in the fact that he's already getting out positioned on single blocks and lacks bulk for his frame (can be addressed as you said), he also has slow instincts.

Now, he does have a high motor/effort and is very explosive, but he struggles to play in space despite his athleticism, so I see him as a definite 4-3 hand in the dirt DE.

Most importantly...he doesn't have much in the way of production as an EDGE rusher.

JMHO 

I think most of what you said falls under 2 important categories.

1. True

2. Correctable.

If he ends up on a team without pressure of having to.start immediately that has a quality DL coach, he could develop into a respectable player. I don't see him personally as an every down starter at any point in the future however 

Correctable =/= will be corrected.

I think people forget that a guy almost always pans out closer to his floor than his ceiling. I mean, don't avoid upside or anything, but be realistic about the amount of work you're gonna put in and how much better you can expect a player to get.

Edited by Blue

37 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I think most of what you said falls under 2 important categories.

1. True

2. Correctable.

If he ends up on a team without pressure of having to.start immediately that has a quality DL coach, he could develop into a respectable player. I don't see him personally as an every down starter at any point in the future however 

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

Correctable =/= will be corrected.

I think people forget that a guy almost always pans out closer to his floor than his ceiling. I mean, don't avoid upside or anything, but be realistic about the amount of work you're gonna put in and how much better you can expect a player to get.

My issues are that, for the most part, I have yet to see a viable example of a great EDGE rusher who lacks any real ability to use his hands in at least some capacity, whether it's a swim move, push/pull (Reggie White) arm over, rip, dip, or even a spin with the scissors/side scissor technique (Bosa, Chase Young)

16 hours ago, rackcs said:

I do, I'm a sucker for guys with physical traits.

That's how I ended up with guys like Stephen Hill, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, etc.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Not soon enough I'm ready for the draft

2 weeks away!