BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

3- Landon Dickerson C Alabama

The hope: he lands somewhere that needs a starting Center in the late first to early 2nd and I get an offensive line centerpiece for as long as his body lets him play.

The fear: His injury history causes a slide into the 3rd round and goes to a team as a backup and a future piece and he takes a few years to really crack the lineup.

Ideal landing spot: Steelers in Round 1 

4- Alim McNeil DT NC State

The hope: In a thin DT class, a team that needs interior help stags him in the late 2nd to early 3rd and his is a starter or rotational player early and can provide meaningful snaps and evolve into a starter overtime.

The fear: He slips to early to mid day 3 and is buried on a depth chart.

The ideal landing spot: The Browns in round 2 or 3. 

5- Elijah Molden CB Washington

The hope: His great tape gets him drafted in the 2nd and he slides right in as a starting NCB or a team sees him as a Honey Badger or Budda Baker hybrid player and he is a really meaningful part of a secondary.

The fear: Teams hyperfocus on the size and he slides to the early 4th and/or a team without a great vision on how to use him drafts him and he never materializes.

The ideal landing spot: The Jets in early round 3. I could see Robert Salah really knowing how to maximize this guy.

5- Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse

The hope: His physical tools get him drafted late 2nd to early 3rd to a CB needy team and he is an instant starter at a CB 2 spot.

The fear: He's Obi

The ideal landing spot: The Eagles at the top of round 3. Assuming they didn't get a CB early, he is a good scheme fit for the Eagles and would be the 2nd best CB on that roster easily.

7- Tylan Wallace WR OKST

The hope: His speed and playmaking ability get him drafted in the late 2nd to early 3rd to a team that needs a WR and he is the Terry McLaurin of this draft

The fear: He goes later and is just a depth piece that struggles to crack the lineup.

The ideal landing spot: The Titans in the 2nd or 3rd. The Titans go CB in round 1 and Wallace takes over Corey Davis' role.

7- Quincy Roche EDGE Miami

The hope: He goes late day 2 to early day 3 and stands out with his experience and technique and gets into a rotation early and his role grows over time.

The fear: I'm too high on his production at Temple and he goes later and is never more than a spot player.

The ideal landing spot: The Ravens in the 3rd or 4th. Man this guy just screams Ravens EDGE rusher to me.

7- D’Wayne Eskridge WR WMU

The hope: I don't think he goes until early day 3 but he lands in a spot with an inventive offensive coordinator and he is good for a few big plays on schemed touches. His role grows over time and he becomes a very unique offensive weapon.

The fear: he is just a gimmick and never materializes 

The ideal landing spot: The Panthers in the 3rd or 4th round to take the Curtis Samuel role. 

• Like 4

My own pick reasoning 

1.1- Trevor Lawrence- I do have my doubts with team fit in Jacksonville and how much more development there will be. So honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he was just average but I obviously see all of the great traits as well so wouldn’t be surprised if he was great. That’s the gamble I had to take at 1. There really was no other option.

Board Rank- 1st

1.3- Ja’Marr Chase WR LSU

I have Chase and Smith 1a and 1b especially with no tape this year and a year off for Chase. I need receiving threats. Ruggs didn’t live up to my pick of him and will most likely only be a dangerous #2 receiver (both some scheme in Vegas and some of his own doing) and I needed someone who could really be a number one receiver and Chase brings that. He isn’t the biggest receiver by any means but his contested catch ability plus his physicality is exactly what my offense needs. At this point in the draft he brought diversity to my receiving group with Boyd in the slot and Ruggs putting burners on the other side. 

Board Rank- 3rd

1.4 Kyle Pitts TE UF

Yes I felt comfortable trading Fant for Jaylon Johnson after I had moved up to pick 5. I think corner is a more important position and thought I would trade the young talented TE for a young talented corner. Insert Pitts who was BPA for me and filled a need. Pitts is a mismatch nightmare and provides me with a big red zone threat as well as a do it all receiver in a giant frame. I look forward to scheming him in a variety of ways in game plans. That is what brings me the most excitement. He was in my top 5 favorite personal favorite players in this class along with Tremble and Smith and two others I actually did not get the opportunity to draft. The 20 year old still brings a lot of upside. My passing game just got elevated with these last two picks.

Board Rank- 4th

1.7 Patrick Surtain ll CB Bama  

High floor. That’s what I wanted with this pick. I think Horn can develop into the premier corner of this class but I personally felt there was more risk there. I think Surtain has a high enough ceiling with this pick and high enough floor to be worth this pick without regret while still offering upside to my corner group. Fingers crossed. The young group of corners I have possess varying skills sets and I think Surtain can be the alpha of the group. Although I had Smith and Waddle ranked higher with both available at this pick knowing one would be there at 9 no matter what I went with my top corner. 

Board Rank- 7th

1.9 DeVonta Smith WR Bama

My favorite player in the class. The Slim Reaper is a very hard worker often staying after practices to catch 100 balls from the jugs. He has defied the odds against him time and time again and I believe he can defy them again. Smooth route runner, great hands he really offers it all besides size. I talked a trade down from this spot thinking maybe I can get him at 14 and I debated this for quite a while but decided if you love a prospect you take that prospect. 9 was the spot I felt comfortable at with the size risk. I am happy it worked out for me. I look forward to rooting for him to succeed. I think he brings a nice balance to my receiving group. I had always intended to get a second WR in this class. If it wasn’t Smith or Waddle at 9 (Waddle went 8th) it was Bateman at 14, Marshall at 22 or trade down from 22 and take Elijah Moore. I’ll be interested in following along and which of these would have actually been the best choice. But Smitty for me was my guy.

Board Rank- 5th

1.14 Micah Parsons LB PSU

For me this is the pick I had struggled with the most. Parsons does have great talent but I think untapping all of his potential really depends on scheme fit and coaching. Not knowing where he is going is where I struggle a bit plus watching the OSU tape gave me some hesitation. Not to mention the off the field stuff. I took the risk here and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the pick that blunders the most. Hopefully he pans out and can be a difference maker on my defense. The other route I considered and I think it would have been the correct way to go would have been Phillips at 14 (9th ranked on my board) and Collins at 22 (17th ranked on my board) now that is using foresight, seeing Collins make it that far but I would have preferred that combo. And I think I’ll be kicking myself on that one for a while. But I stayed true to my board and went my BPA here. Something I told myself I would try to do more this draft.

Board Rank- 8th

3.5 Azeez Ojulari Edge UGA

My first ever drafted UGA player! After two trade downs and a trade up I got Azeez ultimately losing PFA 1, 2022 DV 6th and Julian Love while gaining a 2023 1st. Azeez I considered at 22. I needed an edge and he was 16th on my board. However seeing him go so late in gm mocks and knowing others didn’t value him as much as I did (maybe that should be a red flag for me and my scouting) I felt I could move down and add value while still getting him. Then I traded out of 29 altogether for the 2023 1st but saw an opportunity to trade up with Seoul to secure Azeez. He is raw but has great length and explosiveness. First UGA freshmen named team captain under Kirby. He is a high character guy and has a lot of upside. Still 20 years old and having perfected his one rush move I’m hoping he goes to a good situation with scheme fit and coaching to develop his moves. He can continue to develop his strength and run defense and likely offers more pass rush early on than other areas. But he did put up 26 reps at 249 with 34.5” arms so he does have some strength and power to develop in his pass rush moves. I am happy with this pick at the range I got him.

Board Rank- 16th

5.8 Tommy Tremble TE ND

So I was doing very well with not trading up which tends to be by M.O. For Instance last year I believe I traded 3 2021 picks in move ups. This year was just one time. Tremble was my mid round draft crush. Like Jlash took his guy earlier than most thought he would go, he was his guy so he  made sure to get him. Tremble was that for me. Once I obtained the pick I started questioning value of the position though. And there were other players at more prominent positions I liked here as well. After talking it out with two unnamed individuals and looking at my options I followed my heart. And I felt good about it after (usually I have regrets when I’m torn like that, taking Christian Miller over McLaurin is an example). Tremble is the most Kittleesque prospect I have seen since Kittle (who was my mid round draft crush guy that year). Now I’m not saying he will become Kittle. He is much more raw in route running, doesn’t have as developed ball skills, and isn’t the athlete Kittle is nor is he as big in weight and arm length. Tremble is 20 however while Kittle was 23 at draft time and I’m hoping he can still develop physically. But I see enough similarity in play style and if he becomes half of what Kittle is I’d be happy for his role in my offense. Tremble has been described as a Picklerick on the field without the ickle. He is a nuisance and loves the physicality of the game. He is always blocking down field if he doesn’t get the ball and burying guys in the running game. He can play a Hback role and be utilized to seal the outside and work to the second level or cross the formation on counters and clear the path for RBs. I like the compliment he brings to Pitts and Knox. He needs to develop a lot of his game still but he has enough raw athleticism and the desire to block and play physical at still only 20 years old that gives me hope he can develop into a player. Plus with a name like Tommy Tremble how can you not like the guy. Scheme fit will matter for him and I’m hoping for a great fit. 

Board Rank- 56th 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Imagine feeling like you need to explain why you picked the players that you did.

Don’t need to explain it. It’s just fun for discussion. I like to see what was going through others minds during the whole process. Imagine being a **** for no reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

I just didn’t want to have a full page dedicated to my draft so I avoided explanations 

I’d actually be very interested in your thoughts on each pick and the overall process of your selections. If you feel like typing it out you can pm me I’d love to read it. If not all good Damsel.

• Like 1

General Draft Process Goals:

Create depth behind high priced veterans
Sit back and enjoy the depth at Edge later.  
Set up the trenches for future years

2.1 -  Alijah Vera - Tucker, OG
    *  One of my favorite players in this draft.   The combination of All-Pro ceiling and high floor makes this selection as safe as one can be.  Fits any offensive scheme and play call.     Bonus points in that he allowed me to move on from Rodger Saffold,  who I like,   but his price tag was a bit much for me.

2.3 - Rashod Bateman, WR
    *  I'm trusting my past history on WR's with this one.    He's my 2nd WR in this class.    I can definitely see why people would say that's high.    I see him in the Deebo, AJ Brown, Brandon Aiyuk mold..  Where they don't necessarily blow you away with any physical traits, or size.    But the man is smooth in everything he does.    If he somehow makes it to KC and we don't take him,  I will be a sad man.   

2.16 - Javonte Williams,  RB
    *  I went into most matchups last year with Josh Kelley as my top back.    Yeah,   that wasn't going to work.    I have Javonte as RB1 just based on versatility.  The first checkmark I have to see on a RB is their ability to find hidden yards,  I don't think there's a RB in this class better at that.

3.9 -  Pat Freiermuth, TE
    * Gonna be honest,  I was planning on pairing him with Tommy Tremble later.  Give me the athleticism and willingness to block,   I think both will be solid all around TE's in the league for a long time.   

3.11 -  Joe Tryon,  Edge
   *  The first of many edge prospects I selected.   Joe was a hard guy to peg,   he's already a pretty polished guy so there are some questions on how much more he can grow.  I like the all around skill set he brings and also does not lock me into a certain scheme defensively.   

3.16 - Wyatt Davis,  G
   *  I'll start off with 2 honest truths.    1)  I was hoping Rashawn Slater dropped a bit,  I had a trade up to grab both Slater and AVT.   2)   That Trey Smith pick caught me off guard,   Smith was my original target here if I went IOL.     As far as Davis,    he's slightly confusing as his 2019 and 2020 tape look like 2 totally different players.   His 2020 wasn't bad,  but 2019 he looked like a more complete player.   Here's to hoping it was a conditioning issue and he regains some of that explosion.   If so,  I have 2 very scheme interchangeable guards.

4.1 -  Carlos Basham, DE
    *  Ole Boogie,    If you need a definite starter at Edge from this class.   This is where I'm going.  I don't think he will ever be THE feature guy on the DL,   but he will create some havoc when he gets PT and he can line up in multiple spots.    One of the top guys I want for the Chiefs if the board falls terribly.  

4.13 - Richie Grant, S
    * If you know me,   I like to throw a variety of different schemes and formations.   It's hard to do that if you don't trust the deep part of the field.    Grant has plenty of range and is a veteran of this class.     I think this a very safe pick for what a team "should" be asking him to do.

5.2 - Payton Turner, Edge
    * Edge player #3 for me, and as Racks stated he was a bit shocked I didn't look at this position earlier.   Probably my weakest area on the whole roster.  I'm not sure there is anyone at Edge this year I would guarantee turns into a stud,  I would rather take the chance on some of this mid round guys than top guys to pan out.  As far as Turner,   he has solid athleticism and plays with tremendous effort.   I have reservations as I don't see a ton of twitch in his movement skills, but the Length/Power/Effort is worth gambling on.

5.3 - Tyler Shelvin, DT
     *  Exactly how I like my DT's,    I do think he can take his game to another level though.   He has some solid burst for being as large as he is.    Even if he doesn't take another step,  he's going to be a guy that can control the run game.

5.5 - Josh Myers, C
    *  Yes I paired the OSU duo,     no I probably do not think Myers has a massive ceiling.    Gun to my head,  I'm probably taking Meinerz over Myers if he was there just based on potential  but Myers is going to be a solid pro and is going to be playing with versatile guards on this team.  

5.7 - Liam Eichenberg, T
   *  This pick to me will be remembered as the Tommy Tremble pick.    I was positive he would drop another round and now I realize,  ya'll really go for your top guys.    As far as Eichenberg,   He's going to be a solid pro,  where he ends up is going to be the question but I have 0 questions that this guy will be on my OL for the next 3 years.

6.1 - Jamar Johnson, S
    *  As stated earlier this was probably my least favorite pick,   but I still like the player.    I think he's more of a SS trapped in the body of a Cover 1 guy.    Not sure he has enough range to sit back in Cover 1,  but I do like him as a #3 guy that can play in some Robber roles.

6.2 - Dayo Odeyingbo, Edge
   *  Boogie 2.0.      Another guy that I'm pretty confident will eventually have a role along the DL.    If you asked me where he lines up,  I wouldn't give you just one spot.  I had him right beside Boogie before his injury.   

6.12 - Spencer Brown, T
   *   I hope this guy lands in the right spot IRL.   It's hard to teach his physical traits and size,    usually guys with all those traits don't have a mean streak.   This guy has all of the above.   I hope he lands in a spot that lets him work towards being a LT.

6.13 -  Paulson Adebo, CB
   *  Throwing on a dart on this one,    I will admit I don't love his projection and he's usually not the type of CB I draft.    Would like him to be a little more physical,   but I do like how sticky he can be at times.     Outside CB is right up there with my biggest needs and Adebo definitely has the skills to fit this role.

I'm pretty confident I have set up my OL for years to come.    While I'm not sure I have a top dog along the DL,  I have a ton of versatile and useful players there now.     

Edited by samsel23
  • Like 4