BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

The 1st read bit about Fields comes directly from the tape. Heck, they lost in the CFP because of that flaw. 

I honestly don't see anything about Fields that is superior to Wilson, at all. 

Their defense also **** the bed that game.

But i saw many examples on tape where fields went through progressions well.  Does he need to work on it?  Of course.  Is it as bad as some make it out to be?  Not even close.

• Like 2

Just now, MD4L said:

I don’t trust that non P5 level of play.

And that's 100% fair. I haven't said otherwise. Unfortunately due to covid we didn't get to see Wilson play the tough original schedule BYU had. All I'm saying, literally all I'm saying, is you can't truly look at the film and take from it that Wilson is going to be a bad football player or, imo, even that Fields is a superior prospect. Based solely on performance, the film doesn't say that at all. 

I have been wrong plenty about QBs. So sure, I could be wrong here and if I am, well, eventually I cut my losses and try again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

They're defense also **** the bed that game.

But i saw many examples on tape where fields went through progressions well.  Does he need to work on it?  Of course.  Is it as bad as some make it out to be?  Not even close.

To be completely honest, I could see a scenario where this class ends up having 4 successful QBs.

Having said that, no one outside of the top 4 QB prospects impresses me at all. Not even a little and to answer a potential question, no, I do not consider Mac Jones a top 4 QB prospect. 

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

And that's 100% fair. I haven't said otherwise. Unfortunately due to covid we didn't get to see Wilson play the tough original schedule BYU had. All I'm saying, literally all I'm saying, is you can't truly look at the film and take from it that Wilson is going to be a bad football player or, imo, even that Fields is a superior prospect. Based solely on performance, the film doesn't say that at all. 

I have been wrong plenty about QBs. So sure, I could be wrong here and if I am, well, eventually I cut my losses and try again. 

I’ve warmed up to everyone mate. If we want to into the deep end we can start talking about QBs ranked 5-9 lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The Ohio State QB thing though, holds a lot more water than people give it credit for. 

Did you know there has NEVER been a non-bust QB that was drafted out of Ohio State in the NFL?

No, it doesn't.  Coaches and other things are more than a physical school itself. There's more credence to the Urban Meyer qb more than the Ohio St qb 

These kind of things would have led you to pass on Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Ben Roethlisberger, hell Steve Young from your own drafted college qb tree etc etc 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

No, it doesn't.  Coaches and other things are more than a physical school itself. There's more credence to the Urban Meyer qb more than the Ohio St qb 

These kind of things would have led you to pass on Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Ben Roethlisberger, hell Steve Young from your own drafted college qb tree etc etc 

Allow to rephrase what I meant. You're right you cannot base whether a QB will be good on the QBs before him, but you take away a consistency of that school failing to produce quality coaching staffs and talent. Ultimately it comes down to the individual talent of a player and frankly what the film shows you. But there is no defense against the reality that every OSU QB that has been drafted at QB in the NFL has been a bust. It's the truth, regardless of the reason.

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The 1st read bit about Fields comes directly from the tape. Heck, they lost in the CFP because of that flaw. 

...they lost in the CFP final because they couldn't come close to stopping Alabama's offense, they lost Sermon on the 1st play from scrimmage, and couldn't establish the run once they were down by 14+ points headed into the 2nd half of the game. LOL

Throw in Wyatt Davis's injury and how much Barmore dominated his replacement on the interior, and you had a perfect storm of events.

No one seemed to care that he hit his 3rd+ progress for TD's 4 times against Clemson the week before. :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The Ohio State QB thing though, holds a lot more water than people give it credit for. 

Did you know there has NEVER been a non-bust QB that was drafted out of Ohio State in the NFL?

A non bust, or a successful quarterback? Mike Tomczak was an UDFA that played 14+ years in the league. In all reality, there have been a total of 3 QB's drafted in the modern NFL from OSU:

1. Art Schlichter: Gambling addict who ruined his life

2. Dwayne Haskins: Obviously

3. Justin Fields: TBD

Sample size matters

11 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

aArON roDGeRs CaN'T plAY b3CuZ of jEfF TedFOrD!!!!!!

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

aArON roDGeRs CaN'T plAY b3CuZ of jEfF TedFOrD!!!!!!

To be fair Cal had at least an nfl rookie of the year and two time pro bowler in its qb history but basically yes, no reason to think that lol 

44 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Is the Justin Fields transferring argument not almost the same as Burrow? Transferred out, went to a program not known for producing successful QBs.

You must have missed everyone and their mother pointing out that Burrow transferred out of Ohio State and only looked good the one year at LSU. That was one of the very few knocks people had against him.

Also, Matt Flynn alone was a more successful NFL QB than anyone from Urban Meyer's coaching tree save Alex Smith. It's not a great track record from LSU, true, but given they also got JaMarcus Russell selected No. 1 overall, I don't agree there's the same history of QB futility.

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

To be completely honest, I could see a scenario where this class ends up having 4 successful QBs.

Having said that, no one outside of the top 4 QB prospects impresses me at all. Not even a little and to answer a potential question, no, I do not consider Mac Jones a top 4 QB prospect. 

I would be pleasantly surprised if this class produced 3 successful QBs.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A non bust, or a successful quarterback? Mike Tomczak was an UDFA that played 14+ years in the league. In all reality, there have been a total of 3 QB's drafted in the modern NFL from OSU:

Sample size matters

Troy Smith and Cardale Jones were both drafted. Terrelle Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft, in the third round no less, which suggests he could have gone higher had he declared.

So yes, sample size matters, but you should probably include the entire sample size at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

You must have missed everyone and their mother pointing out that Burrow transferred out of Ohio State and only looked good the one year at LSU. That was one of the very few knocks people had against him.

Right.....but that's literally the argument being used against him when it doesn't really bear any difference when you're looking at the player. What are the real knocks on Fields? Actual player flaws? He didn't always have to go through progressions before a target came open. That's a real question, is how can he improve doing that more consistently. Good arm, good accuracy, good mobility, seems to be intelligent and a leader. I don't care about players transferring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Right.....but that's literally the argument being used against him when it doesn't really bear any difference when you're looking at the player. What are the real knocks on Fields? Actual player flaws? He didn't always have to go through progressions before a target came open. That's a real question, is how can he improve doing that more consistently. Good arm, good accuracy, good mobility, seems to be intelligent and a leader. I don't care about players transferring.

He doesn't have good accuracy. He just plays in an offense and conference where his receivers are always open.

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Sample size matters

Are we skipping Bobby hoying and Joe Germaine for some reason?