BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

9 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Right.....but that's literally the argument being used against him when it doesn't really bear any difference when you're looking at the player. What are the real knocks on Fields? Actual player flaws? He didn't always have to go through progressions before a target came open. That's a real question, is how can he improve doing that more consistently. Good arm, good accuracy, good mobility, seems to be intelligent and a leader. I don't care about players transferring.

I think the knock, at least the one I see is when that first read is actually covered he just takes off, a lot.  

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

He doesn't have good accuracy. He just plays in an offense and conference where his receivers are always open.

Even if open you still have to hit him.  Take it from an auburn fan watching Bo Nix. Not always easy to do 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

...they lost in the CFP final because they couldn't come close to stopping Alabama's offense, they lost Sermon on the 1st play from scrimmage, and couldn't establish the run once they were down by 14+ points headed into the 2nd half of the game. LOL

Throw in Wyatt Davis's injury and how much Barmore dominated his replacement on the interior, and you had a perfect storm of events.

No one seemed to care that he hit his 3rd+ progress for TD's 4 times against Clemson the week before. :) 

Never mind that Fields threw into triple coverage at the end of the game amirite?

27 minutes ago, Blue said:

You must have missed everyone and their mother pointing out that Burrow transferred out of Ohio State and only looked good the one year at LSU. That was one of the very few knocks people had against him.

Also, Matt Flynn alone was a more successful NFL QB than anyone from Urban Meyer's coaching tree save Alex Smith. It's not a great track record from LSU, true, but given they also got JaMarcus Russell selected No. 1 overall, I don't agree there's the same history of QB futility.

I would be pleasantly surprised if this class produced 3 successful QBs.

Troy Smith and Cardale Jones were both drafted. Terrelle Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft, in the third round no less, which suggests he could have gone higher had he declared.

So yes, sample size matters, but you should probably include the entire sample size at least.

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that Day 3 picks constitutes a BUST. LOL. That’s a joke man. 

As for Pryor, he had some value at least at some point in his career as a receiver. It’s not his fault the ghost of Al Davis thought he was a viable prospect because he was really fast.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Are we skipping Bobby hoying and Joe Germaine for some reason? 

Day 3 picks? Yeah, because they were Day 3 picks and therefore not able to be considered busts by definition in regards to expectations.

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

I mean when you're down 28 in the fourth you're just wing and a prayering it tho 

The better example is the INT he threw in 2020 against Clemson on their final drive.

Also, I did not say Fields would be a bust because he is from Ohio State.

I said I view him as a QB who struggles with progressions and accuracy.  He has good mobility and arm strength but he is going to be heavily reliant on everything on offense around him being perfect and things defensufely being imperfect more than any other QB in this draft.

When I looked at Haskins as a prospect there was absolutely nothing I liked. I said from day 1 I thought he'd be a bust. I wasn't wrong.

I'm not saying that about Fields. I am however suggesting that he has the biggest flaws of any of the top 3 QBs. 

Lance being the 4th, experience is his biggest flaw imo. 

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Never mind that Fields threw into triple coverage at the end of the game amirite?

Down 28 in desperation mode? Yeah, not relevant at all. You could have picked the Indiana or Northwestern film as viable examples.

• Like 1