BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

8 hours ago, SirA1 said:

@rackcs I will take an A-. Let's hope for the Boom.

You are correct in that I don't see JOK as a LB only. I think he's the top ranked Safety in this class. Someone who can stay on the field in DIME situations to cover the intermediate areas.

Horn could be the best CB in this class. It will be fun to see where he ends up.

Oweh I do love because of his Run Stopping ability this past season. He'll get his at the next level.

We differ on Radunz. I believe he's the 3rd best OT in this class. He should have come out in 2020 but stayed to win a 4th championship. 

Brown and Joseph I think have high upside.

I had the luxury this year of have one of my favorite mock drafters full rankings before we drafted. I normally only get them after our draft because it's so early. I think they helped me out in narrowing down players to select.

I think he ends up being the best. Was regretting not taking him at 9 and Smith at 7. But stuck to my board. I hadn’t really adjusted my board after pro days and I probably should have.

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I think he ends up being the best. Was regretting not taking him at 9 and Smith at 7. But stuck to my board. I hadn’t really adjusted my board after pro days and I probably should have.

Your Wrestling Mock was what made me make my "doing a 180 in the draft" comment. Luckily was able to stick to the original plan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Your Wrestling Mock was what made me make my "doing a 180 in the draft" comment. Luckily was able to stick to the original plan.

And that was the order I mocked them to myself Smith at 7 and Horn at 9. Probably will end up regretting not sticking to it but we will see. I actually am very honest in my mocks and target players I actually want to take. Some mocks I switch it up because I do so many and it gets old and that’s where the players I see as secondary or third options get mocked to me to make it fresh. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

Raiders are drafting Rumph in the 1st.  Book it.

Idk if he will get drafted in R1 or not, but I am telling you right now, the "most likely to not be drafted" is way off for Rumph. He is 100% getting drafted and if be real surprised if he is still on the board beyond R2.

Edited by wwhickok

16 hours ago, SirA1 said:

@rackcs I will take an A-. Let's hope for the Boom.

You are correct in that I don't see JOK as a LB only. I think he's the top ranked Safety in this class. Someone who can stay on the field in DIME situations to cover the intermediate areas.

Horn could be the best CB in this class. It will be fun to see where he ends up.

Oweh I do love because of his Run Stopping ability this past season. He'll get his at the next level.

We differ on Radunz. I believe he's the 3rd best OT in this class. He should have come out in 2020 but stayed to win a 4th championship. 

Brown and Joseph I think have high upside.

I had the luxury this year of have one of my favorite mock drafters full rankings before we drafted. I normally only get them after our draft because it's so early. I think they helped me out in narrowing down players to select.

Yeah, I personally agree and think you got some good players but no denying the bust potential of them.

15 hours ago, Blue said:

Fair enough grades for Cancun. We did try to get another receiver but it just didn't work out for us. In particular, we weren't really looking to take Leatherwood but felt he was the best value at that point as a potential swing tackle and starter at guard.

Small quibble: why in the world would we look to take guys who can contribute immediately? We're not filling this team out in one offseason. We'll be contenders purely on the basis of the top-level talent already on the team (hello, Pat Mahomes) but other than QB/TE/C, there was no position we wouldn't have drafted for--and even then, we'd have taken a guy we didn't expect to drop like Freiermuth if he was available at our selection.

It was a small quibble myself so it's not a huge deal. I just feel like you've got Mahomes, why waste a year of his prime rebuilding. Ultimately you're right that you did get good value on a lot of your guys which I think is reflected in the grade.

13 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Certainly not going to complain about an A- after starting me off with a C+.  You mentioned a couple of times how I took guys that are similar to what I have in Toney and Carter/Gainwell.  Part of what I want to do next year on offense is use guys interchangeably whether it's guys in and out of the slot or in and out of the backfield.  Also, this draft was pretty heavy on shifty WRs, especially if you remove Chase and Marshall, so I thought the value was better there.  As for adding two similar RBs, have you seen what I had behind Aaron?  Plus, both can split out if need be, similar to how GB used Jones and Williams last year.

Well done as usual @rackcs

I see what you're saying about using guys interchangeably but I also think there's something to be said for having versatility in how your guys can win. If you go up against a team that can stop the kind of players you have, you have no alternative plan to beat them. You were another guy who I think ultimately was able to get a lot of value selections though.

12 hours ago, Jlash said:

Heyyyyyy I didn't get the worst graded pick! Thought for sure Smith was an auto-F. 

Curious @rackcs, what do you mean when you say Smith is a "smaller guy". 6'6 and in the 260's at the senior bowl, dropped into the 250's for his pro day. Pretty much right up there with Montez Sweat's measurements. You don't think he can play in a 4-3 at that size?

Maybe small wasn't the right word but he certainly doesn't play that big when I watched him, I think he needs to add a lot of strength if he wants to play with his hand in the dirt. And I think I did give it an F initially but then as I was looking at the upcoming EDGE guys there were a few I liked like Turner and Odeyingbo but I might've taken Elerson over say Rashad Weaver personally just because I don't think Weaver has a ton of upside.

22 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Idk if he will get drafted in R1 or not, but I am telling you right now, the "most likely to not be drafted" is way off for Rumph. He is 100% getting drafted and if be real surprised if he is still on the board beyond R2.

I'll eat a whole pizza if Rumph goes round 2. He was playing in the 220's, that's just way too small for the NFL to be anything close to a full time starter as a pass rusher. As I said in the superlatives explanation, I do think he'll get drafted (probably in like round 5, give or take a round) but I didn't think there were too many better options for who would go undrafted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rackcs said:

Well here it is. I stayed a little late at work to finish this up for you guys. The individual pick grades were mostly focused on the value of the players and where they were picked whereas when doing the team draft grade I thought more about fits and overall draft strategy so don't expect a one-to-one correlation with the pick grades and the team grades. Enjoy and please comment as much as you want about these, I do this because I enjoy the discussion.

2021 BDL Draft Grades & Superlatives

Rack, good stuff man! Ironically, the Leatherwood pick was the one that we went back and forth about the most. We felt like the value was just too good to pass up on. @Blue was concerned per our scheme about Amon Ra's athletic measurables, and we came close to considering/drafting Tylan Wallace here ironically.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I'll eat a whole pizza if Rumph goes round 2. He was playing in the 220's, that's just way too small for the NFL to be anything close to a full time starter as a pass rusher. As I said in the superlatives explanation, I do think he'll get drafted (probably in like round 5, give or take a round) but I didn't think there were too many better options for who would go undrafted.

We will be expecting this to be a Large pizza with ALL of the available toppings, live on twitch

Just now, wwhickok said:

We will be expecting this to be a Large pizza with ALL of the available toppings, live on twitch

Large meat lover's, I'll eat the whole damn thing while analyzing the draft live on twitch if Rumph goes round 2

• Like 2

@rackcs for the short of it:

We more or less didn't like the value remaining on the board at the WR/RB spots to warrant passing on potentially premier talent at other positions based upon IRL value and draft projection. I totally understand why some wouldn't like our strategy, but we felt like we could really mess things up by drafting need over BPA to that degree that we'd be reaching.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@rackcs for the short of it:

We more or less didn't like the value remaining on the board at the WR/RB spots to warrant passing on potentially premier talent at other positions based upon IRL value and draft projection. I totally understand why some wouldn't like our strategy, but we felt like we could really mess things up by drafting need over BPA to that degree that we'd be reaching.

That's fair and I like I said it was just a small thing where it's what I would've done but there's nothing wrong either with just going BPA and getting good value. I gave you guys a B+ at the end of the day.