BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

Just now, Blue said:

So even if Wilson is the clearly better player, you're not going to even try to trade a guy who could bring back draft pick compensation who would otherwise be riding your bench? Nobody believes that, man.

Serious Question for you. Who is the better QB, Stafford or Wilson?

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I've already done it. I don't need you to attempt to prove you're smarter than me and better at managing MY cap space, because, you're not.

I mean, my best guess for how you intend to create more cap space is to Double Down some of those 4 year contracts near the end of the season to reduce them to 2 years for the following offseason and make them 3 Down-able, which isn't a bad play. But that requires you to carry quite a bit of open cap space throughout the season. I dunno if I'd do that with the size of those contracts.

1 minute ago, WFLukic said:

I don't think there needs to be an intention for ww to trade Stafford. He can carry a big QB contract with his only other QB being a rookie. Heck, I drafted both Darnold and Allen when I had Brady with 2 years left. I did end up trading Brady after a year but that was more because Allen showed in his rookie year that he had elite potential sooner than anyone had anticipated. 

If Allen hadn't been so good so quick, I would've continued to roll with Brady. 

So...exactly the scenario I'm talking about with Wilson and Stafford.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Serious Question for you. Who is the better QB, Stafford or Wilson?

Having not seen Wilson play in the NFL yet (and not being a fan of Wilson anyways), it's quite obviously Stafford. What is your point here? No one is questioning the value of having a veteran option.

Just now, wwhickok said:

Also, carrying 2 QBs at a combined 50k, which is what you'd be doing, that's ballsy. I don't think for a second you ever truly considered doing that, not really. Yet you're sitting here talking about 2 RBs at just shy of 30k combined?

Yeah. The difference is that the QB has trade value and I have the cap space to burn both this year and next. I also have the 3 Downs to burn for next year if I can't trade him. What's the issue here?

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Having not seen Wilson play in the NFL yet (and not being a fan of Wilson anyways), it's quite obviously Stafford. What is your point here? No one is questioning the value of having a veteran option.

Yeah. The difference is that the QB has trade value and I have the cap space to burn both this year and next. I also have the 3 Downs to burn for next year if I can't trade him. What's the issue here?

I'm sorry, I should've been more clear.

Who is better, Matt Stafford or Russell Wilson?

Edited by wwhickok

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm sorry, I should've been more clear.

Who is better, Matt Stafford or Russell Wilson?

Oh, Wilson, obviously. But without having inquired about Russell Wilson, I have to imagine Rack was trying to get a much bigger return on Wilson than someone would try to get for Stafford.

Just now, Blue said:

Oh, Wilson, obviously. But without having inquired about Russell Wilson, I have to imagine Rack was trying to get a much bigger return on Wilson than someone would try to get for Stafford.

True, but no one traded for Wilson at 20o so why would ppl jump at Stafford, logically, in a season with a reduced cap?

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

You gonna sit here and tell me that if Deshaun Watson is suspended next year, Rack 3 Ups Russell Wilson, and Stafford leads the Rams on a deep playoff run, you wouldn't consider trading a 2nd round pick for Matt Stafford?

You are willing to invest $20k for an asset that may or may not be possible next year. If our QB situation was figured out, we’d implement everything possible to make him successful. Like getting help in the trenches, receivers, DL, etc. 

Just now, wwhickok said:

True, but no one traded for Wilson at 20o so why would ppl jump at Stafford, logically, in a season with a reduced cap?

Depends on what it takes to acquire him and what your other options are. You never know what the landscape is going to look like next year.

And, again, if nobody does, I have three 3 Downs that I currently have no intention of using. Not exactly a big deal for me if I can't get a trade partner.

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

You are willing to invest $20k for an asset that may or may not be possible next year. If our QB situation was figured out, we’d implement everything possible to make him successful. Like getting help in the trenches, receivers, DL, etc. 

Good thing imma win him ;)

Just now, MD4L said:

Yeah, because A) that sorts my backup situation and B) it's no skin off my back if no trade offers materialize.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Also, carrying 2 QBs at a combined 50k, which is what you'd be doing, that's ballsy. I don't think for a second you ever truly considered doing that, not really. Yet you're sitting here talking about 2 RBs at just shy of 30k combined?

That’s definitely a different strategy.