BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

Just now, Blue said:

Depends on what it takes to acquire him and what your other options are. You never know what the landscape is going to look like next year.

And, again, if nobody does, I have three 3 Downs that I currently have no intention of using. Not exactly a big deal for me if I can't get a trade partner.

I understand, but I can tell you, honestly, as I did about Kamara and Davis, I predetermine my max willingness to bid. I ain't there yet on Stafford and idc if that costs me money. I'm fine if that makes me a fool. 

Just now, Blue said:

Yeah, because A) that sorts my backup situation and B) it's no skin off my back if no trade offers materialize.

I guess I’d be more inclined to draft a guy and develop him rather then paying a backup big bucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

I guess I’d be more inclined to draft a guy and develop him rather then paying a backup big bucks.

And if you're not in position to draft a top-tier guy to develop? Don't give me that Kellen Mond crap, we both know that was a dart throw and you're not really expecting to get anything out of him.

Edited by Blue

Just now, wwhickok said:

Imma watch that movie now

You should, it's a good movie.

And no, as intrigued as I am as to how much you're really willing to bid on Stafford, I've had my fun. If you pay more for him, it's because somebody else (my money would be on Pheltz) decides to go for him too.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

So...exactly the scenario I'm talking about with Wilson and Stafford.

It may so transpire that way if Wilson has a good year and exceeds expectations, but I think it's pretty clear Ww is signing him to be a starter whether it is just for this year and next year as well depending on how things go. Every good FA signing has future trade value anyway, that's what makes them a good signing. 

Putting yourself in his shoes, what's the alternative? Go into the season with Wilson and if he plays well, ok you're maybe competitive. If he doesn't, you're not. I mean he's in a division with two of the top 5 QBs in the league, he can't really expect Wilson to be competitive with them immediately. Stafford should be competitive and likely won't regress the next year either. Stafford being good trade value in the future is incidental. 

The Kamara and Henry signings are a bit more puzzling sure, especially given both are high volume players and it should result in Kamara playing more as a receiver. With that said, I don't think they're two contracts which are impossible to carry. There's plenty of rookies and 2nd year players on that team to smooth the cap. Kamara will be a 3D or double D at some point since it's hard to imagine a 30 year old RB being worth 17k a year, but things change. I think paying near $40k for two RBs is madness personally, but that's more my view of the importance of RBs and their success being dependent on their QB and OL. Plus they are two elite, top 5 RBs. Paying overs for elite talent is always better than paying a middling amount of middling talent in the BDL.

Just now, Blue said:

And if you're not in position to draft a guy to develop? Don't give me that Kellen Mond crap, we both know that was a dart throw and you're not really expecting to get anything out of him.

Well yeah but we had an opportunity to draft Mac Jones but chose not to bc we didn’t see the value as worth it. We also drafted DeShaun in round 3 and clearly he surpassed all expectations we had for him.

Just now, MD4L said:

Well yeah but we had an opportunity to draft Mac Jones but chose not to bc we didn’t see the value as worth it. We also drafted DeShaun in round 3 and clearly he surpassed all expectations we had for him.

I said top-tier talent, not Mac Jones

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

You should, it's a good movie.

And no, as intrigued as I am as to how much you're really willing to bid on Stafford, I've had my fun. If you pay more for him, it's because somebody else (my money would be on Pheltz) decides to go for him too.

That's fine by me. Honestly. I have a need and intend to fill it.

Just now, Blue said:

I said top-tier talent, not Mac Jones

He was a first round pick so clearly his team believes he can be a top tier talent. I did enjoy scouting him and think he has upside to win early in his career.

• Like 1