BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

Let’s not forget none of the top 5 or so starting QBs in the league were highly coveted. In fact there was a lot of bust talk centered around all the guys.

I remember the days when the 2nd rookie QB would go in the BDL 4th-5th round. Good times. I'm happy they all go early now to push good players down.

• Like 2

Just now, SirA1 said:

I remember the days when the 2nd rookie QB would go in the BDL 4th-5th round. Good times. I'm happy they all go early now to push good players down.

Mahomes didn’t go until round 4 or whatever mid round he was selected in because his gun slinger mentality. Watson fell to the 3rd bc questions about his ball velocity, etc

Long story short - will gladly gamble on a guy like Fields. With the right coaching staff he’s going to win early in his career.

12 minutes ago, MD4L said:

RPO prototype? He’ll obviously need talent around him which is evident for everyone.

Possibly.  He's made a couple crap reads in the option game tonight tho. Not taking anything away from the throws he's made however 

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

There is only one starting quarterback in the 2021 draft. A statement of fact.

Agreed, sucks to be whomever doesn't get Trevor Lawrence.

41 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Justin Fields is definitely capable of playing at a high level for a long time.

If by "a long time" you mean "his remaining two years of eligibility," sure.

38 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Let’s not forget none of the top 5 or so starting QBs in the league were highly coveted. In fact there was a lot of bust talk centered around all the guys.

I guess you're talking about in BDL, but Rodgers was considered an option for the No. 1 overall pick (and in hindsight absolutely should have been), and the Texans/Chiefs essentially spent two first round picks on their respective QBs. Don't know who you would consider fifth, but Russell Wilson is the only clear example of an elite quarterback nobody thought was a top prospect.

29 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Fields could be good.  Has arm talent but right now it's first read or run 

So, typical Urban Meyer coaching tree quarterback.

It's like I'm the only person on earth who remembers Dwayne Haskins shattering passing records two years ago and then looking like a practice squad washout in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I guess you're talking about in BDL, but Rodgers was considered an option for the No. 1 overall pick (and in hindsight absolutely should have been), and the Texans/Chiefs essentially spent two first round picks on their respective QBs. Don't know who you would consider fifth, but Russell Wilson is the only clear example of an elite quarterback nobody thought was a top prospect.

It's like I'm the only person on earth who remembers Dwayne Haskins shattering passing records two years ago and then looking like a practice squad washout in the NFL.

Welcome to Anchorage Justin Fields!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue said:

Haskins is not as mobile in or outside the pocket. That’s a flaw Fields doesn’t have and unlike the arm talent Haskins possessed Fields makes vertical reads frequently with the ball in his hands. 

Edited by MD4L

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

I guess you're talking about in BDL, but Rodgers was considered an option for the No. 1 overall pick (and in hindsight absolutely should have been), and the Texans/Chiefs essentially spent two first round picks on their respective QBs. Don't know who you would consider fifth, but Russell Wilson is the only clear example of an elite quarterback nobody thought was a top prospect

The going rate for a franchise QB in a non COVID draft is a first round pick and generally teams picking QBs in the first round are picking their franchise QB so the point of trading a first is useless in terms of how much they value the player in question.

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

As we’ve gone to find out in transitioning to the NFL, Haskins also had some maturity issues that significantly compounded the on field performance.

In Anchorage we tried to ignore them but when we got to Sacramento he started doing all kinds of weird hood rat stuff so we shipped him to Camden it seemed most fitting.

• Like 1