BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

22 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Idk if anyone is aware but Tyson Alualu is listed under both Death Valley and Antarctica's roster. I think the issue is on the Antarctica side because I believe DV has him. Also he's listed as "Signed - Draft" under Antarctica.

Not sure how.    but Antarctica's should have been Marvin Wilson.    It should be good now.

• Like 1

BDL Mock Draft 5.0

I try not to shift my rankings too drastically over the first few weeks of the season so I'm not too over-reactive to the first few games but by this point trends are starting to form and guys are falling or rising. I've been retooling and adding names to my board in preparation for my next NFL mock draft next week so things are shaken up a bit in this mock compared to my last few.

Round 1
1. Gotham Gashslayers: Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
Things might get shaken up in this mock but they're staying the same here at the top for now. This is a talented team being brought down a bit by questionable QB play, so it wouldn't shock me at all to see Pheltz take another QB if he felt one were worthy of the number one pick (not so sure yet but there's plenty of season left). For now he adds arguably the most talented player in the draft. Epenesa has looked ok this year but not well enough to stop you from taking a guy this good.

2. Seoul Dragons: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Seoul could easily go for one of the many talented defenders available this high in the draft, all of whom would fill needs for them, but instead they go for QB. Not picking again until the 8th pick though, Seoul doesn't want to risk losing out on their guy and takes Corral here. At the end of the day you need a QB to win in this league and right now it doesn't seem as though Seoul or the league at large believes that Jalen Hurts can be that guy. Corral has looked really good this year and is currently my QB1, but he has a lot on the line this weekend against Alabama to see if he has what it takes to potentially go this high.

3. Cancun Kaiju: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
When the people talk, you listen. Safety isn't the weakest position on Cancun's roster but it's not exactly a strength either so adding the other arguably most talented player in the draft will certainly turn it into one. Hamilton is a versatile defensive chess piece that will likely excite Cancun's talented game planner.

4. Berlin Blitzkrieg: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
I considered potentially going with another QB here to be Aaron Rodgers' successor in Berlin, but ultimately there are still some potentially elite players on the board so that's the direction Berlin goes in. Cornerback isn't the biggest need Berlin has, but they have had some...unfortunate luck with corners recently between Deandre Baker and Jeff Gladney so they still could use a little more talent for the secondary. Enter Stingley, who has all the tools and athleticism to be an elite corner in the league, but still needs to find consistency.

5. Antarctica Katabatic Beasts: DeMarvin Leal, INT, Texas A&M
Beyond DeForest Buckner, Antarctica's INT group is mostly young and unproven. While there is some upside at the position, Antarctica seeks to add an immediate impact player to the interior of their defensive line. Leal is versatile, being able to flex out to EDGE situationally, which is another area that Antarctica has a need in.

6. Raleigh Firebirds: Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida
Raleigh has had some horrible luck at the CB position this year so far but beyond that could still use some depth. They have some young guys at the position but nobody with the upside that Elam has. Beyond that, Raleigh has quite a few corners whose contracts expire at the end of the season. Elam could potentially rise to be Raleigh's number 3 CB very quickly.

7. Anchorage Trappers (from Death Valley): Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
With the cap going down next season, is Anchorage going to be able to justify spending $12,000 on a guard? Joe Thuney is still a good player but money is going to be tight league-wide so Anchorage may decide to go for a cheaper alternative in Green. Green got flexed out to OT to start the season and looked just ok but was recently put back at OG in the Arkansas game (before being moved to OT again in the same game). He's got some versatility to play OT in a pinch but is definitely more suited as a guard for the next level.

8. Seoul Dragons (from Hungary): Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
Seoul created a bit of a need for themselves by trading away Andrew Thomas as he was finally starting to actually look decent. Fortunately they can find their replacement here in Neal, the mammoth LT from Alabama. Displaying surprising athleticism for his size (6-7, 360), he just needs some minor adjustments to his game to become a potentially elite tackle.

9. Anchorage Trappers: Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan
Again, you have to listen to what people tell you. Anchorage has constantly been in the market for EDGE help and Anchorage also loves Hutchinson. This seems like a perfect match as Hutchinson could be a good rotational piece for a year or two with Bradley Chubb and Azeez Ojulari before likely moving into a starting role when Chubb's contract expires.

10. Camden Hood Rats: Christian Harris, LB, Alabama
This is another pick that hasn't changed much throughout my various mock drafts. LB is likely going to be a big need for Camden this offseason. I imagine Darius Leonard will likely be re-signed but Camden will probably be looking for help next to him. Harris is a great all around LB who can play the run and cover. Camden would love to have a versatile player like that to command his defense.

11. Cuba Smugglers: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
There were a few spots where I thought about taking Willis in this mock as I could easily see him going in the top 10 but ultimately he falls here to Cuba at 11. As everyone knows, Deshaun Watson's future is very up in the air right now but looking worse and worse as time goes on. Carr was a nice pickup in the Shark Tank but I'm not sure if Cuba will commit to him long term. Willis brings playmaking in the both the running and passing game to the Smugglers.

12. Rome Eternals: George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue
Rome made some nice additions to their EDGE group this offseason by drafting Jaelan Phillips and signing Carlos Dunlap but ultimately Dunlap is only on a 2 year deal and Rome could use a long term partner for Phillips. Karlaftis plays with a lot of power in the pass and run game and should keep getting better and better this season as continues to recover from last year's injury.

13. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Brandon Joseph, S, Northwestern
Ivory Coast's top three safeties are all going to be free agents this offseason. He's got a ton of free agents in general  which is going to make for some tough decisions on who to keep and ultimately I don't see any of the safeties being brought back. Here they grab Joseph who is excellent in coverage.

14. Camden Hood Rats (from Lancaster): Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
This is a bit of a left field choice for Camden since they already have four young quarterbacks on their roster but beyond Mayfield, it's a lot of question marks. This is all going to come down to whether or not Camden brings back Mayfield next season, as he's a free agent. It's a tough decision because Mayfield is a good QB, but is he good enough to win a BizzBowl? As of right now I have Camden moving on and adding another QB to his pile. The more shots you take, the more likely you are to hit.

15. Singapore Sentinels: Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma
I feel like I've been saying this for years now, but Brady can't play forever and so Singapore invests in a QB of the future. I really debated hard on where I was going to have Rattler in this mock. The guy has all of the physical tools you want in a QB and when he looks good, you can see why he was the presumed #1 pick this offseason. He just has a lot of inconsistencies, particularly with his decision making. All that being said, he's a QB with a lot of tools in a QB-driven league so I think at least for now this is the right range for him.

16. Camden Hood Rats (from New Orleans): Jordan Davis, INT, Georgia
Camden has a lot of youth at the defensive tackle position but other than Osa Odighizuwa, none have particularly stood out just yet. Camden adds more youth here with Davis. I think Davis is wildly underrated, he is a huge dude who knows how to disrupt the offense. He gets kind of pegged as a run stuffer only but I see flashes of his power in the passing game too. If he can get a little more technique, I think he can use his natural abilities to disrupt the interior on passing downs as well.

Round 2
1. Gotham Gashslayers: Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
I was a Lloyd Cushenberry III fan coming out of LSU but he has not panned out. Gotham turned to the Shark Tank this offseason for a center but he could use a long term option. Linderbaum is going to be a day 1, dependable dude who can come in and start right away.

2. Seoul Dragons: Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
Seoul spent resources in both the draft and free agency on the cornerback position but honestly, I'm not sure they got enough bang for their buck and I still consider it a strong need for them. Here they grab Booth who has all the tools you need but limited starting experience. This season he's been playing well, but there is a lot of competition among the top cornerbacks in this draft that he's contending with.

3. Cancun Kaiju: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
Cancun gets what I think would be a bit of a steal here in Burks. Burks would be a great fit for this offense with him and Courtland Sutton on the outside with Elijah Moore in the slot. Burks is a great downfield target with both size and speed. While he doesn't run a full route tree at Arkansas, that seems to be more a consequence of the offense he's in. After DK Metcalf, I think a lot of us learned to not be so quick to judge a guy based on his college route tree.

4. Berlin Blitzkrieg: Ikem Ekwonu, OG, North Carolina State
All three of Berlin's guards will be free agents this offseason so he grabs one here. Ekwonu was one of my guys from the summer that I thought would blow up and he definitely has. He's incredibly powerful and athletic and has greatly improved in pass blocking. He just bullies dudes and I love it.

5. Antarctica Katabatic Beasts: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
As I've said before in these mocks, the only CB that Antarctica will have on its roster at the start of next season is Jeff Okudah and he hasn't exactly proved himself yet. They need to grab more help at the position and take Gardner here, who I think has taken a nice jump in play since last year and put himself in this muddled group of four vying for CB2.

6. Cancun Kaiju (from Raleigh): Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
Byron Jones is a free agent this offense and the depth behind Tre'Davious White is lacking. McDuffie is a tough competitor and plays hard. He's not the biggest guy but he plays above his size against both the run and the pass.

7. Death Valley Nightmare: Darian Kinnard, OG, Kentucky
This is a little bit earlier than I thought Kinnard should go but I love the fit. Death Valley just traded away Cesar Ruiz and some of their other young guards like Kevin Dotson and Solomon Kindley are having down years. Kinnard steps in to be a road grader for Derrick Henry. Kinnard is a great run blocker and is great at controlling guys at the line of scrimmage.

8. Hungary Hippos: Jalen Catalon, S, Arkansas
Hungary only has two safeties on their roster, one of whom will be a free agent this offseason. Catalon is a bit on the small side but is very instinctive and athletic. He has a knack for being around the ball.

9. Anchorage Trappers: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
Anchorage has young talent almost everyone so they grab Wilson here as he falls a bit. Wilson has a great physical profile and is playing well this year. He's got a nice combo of size and speed. He has some issues with drops but nothing too bad. 

10. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (from Camden): Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State
Andrew Whitworth could really retire at any point. Ivory Coast took Teven Jenkins in the last draft but he's been injured so he hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet. Petit-Frere has a lot of physical tools and has continued to figure it out and put it all together since last season.

11. Cuba Smugglers: Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina
Cuba is losing their two starters at EDGE to free agency this offseason and while they have some other good options at the position, EDGE is one spot where it can't hurt to have more depth. Enagbare is a great edge setter who gets after the QB with power.

12. Rome Eternals: Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas
Despite spending a combined $10,000+ on the center position, Rome could still use an upgrade. Stromberg is another Arkansas player who has been showing out this year and improving his stock greatly.

13. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
With a number of wide receivers hitting free agency for Ivory Coast this offseason, they'll likely be looking to add to the group. Olave is slipping as a prospect for me, I think he just looks pretty average and I think he could end up more in the real life 2nd round range unless he steps it up. For now though he slips into the back end of the BDL second round and would be a nice complement to Terry McLaurin and Chase Claypool for Ivory Coast.

14. Seoul Dragons (from Lancaster): Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
Seoul has two linebackers with $8,000+ contracts and in a year where the cap is going to go down, they might end up having to 3 Down both of them. They grab Dean instead to try to replace their impact. Dean is a bit on the smaller side but he's athletic and instinctive and a smart all-around player.

15. Death Valley Nightmare (from Singapore): Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M
Robert Tonyan is a free agent this offseason but Wydermyer is talented enough to take even if Tonyan is brought back, as he could easily go much higher than this. Wydermyer is not going to block for you but he'll be a really nice weapon for you in the passing game.

16. Camden Hood Rats (from New Orleans): Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
Penning is another guy who I think could/should go earlier than this but slipped a little in this mock. Both Isaiah Wynn and Orlando Brown Jr. are free agents for Camden and Taylor Lewan looks a bit busted right now. Penning can come in and bring his toughness to the OL right away.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

11. Cuba Smugglers: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
There were a few spots where I thought about taking Willis in this mock as I could easily see him going in the top 10 but ultimately he falls here to Cuba at 11. As everyone knows, Deshaun Watson's future is very up in the air right now but looking worse and worse as time goes on. Carr was a nice pickup in the Shark Tank but I'm not sure if Cuba will commit to him long term. Willis brings playmaking in the both the running and passing game to the Smugglers.

We’re not taking a player from Liberty round 1 and definitely not the answer to our QB questions. We are very satisfied with Carr to this point. Rather go Howell or even Rattler.

4 minutes ago, rackcs said:

11. Cuba Smugglers: Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina
Cuba is losing their two starters at EDGE to free agency this offseason and while they have some other good options at the position, EDGE is one spot where it can't hurt to have more depth. Enagbare is a great edge setter who gets after the QB with power.

If we take an edge it will be Jermaine Johnson provided he’s available. We let Asante go from our noses and will not do that again.

I'm resigning Byron Jones barring something unexpected happening like an injury, corner isn't an area I'm particularly worried about. Especially if I get Kyle Hamilton at 3, I'm perfectly set at defensive back for another year or two.

Guard and linebacker are much bigger needs going forward, like the Burks pick well enough since I haven't watched him much yet.

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

We’re not taking a player from Liberty round 1 and definitely not the answer to our QB questions. We are very satisfied with Carr to this point. Rather go Howell or even Rattler.

If we take an edge it will be Jermaine Johnson provided he’s available. We let Asante go from our noses and will not do that again.

I'm not saying Carr is bad and needs replaced, but idk if Carr is the level of QB you 3 up. But that's fair on liking other players better, I imagine the QB ranking debates will be continuing up to the draft itself. 

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I'm resigning Byron Jones barring something unexpected happening like an injury, corner isn't an area I'm particularly worried about. Especially if I get Kyle Hamilton at 3, I'm perfectly set at defensive back for another year or two.

Guard and linebacker are much bigger needs going forward, like the Burks pick well enough since I haven't watched him much yet.

In a league where teams almost all run 3 WR and sometimes even 4 WR sets, you can never have too many CBs imo. And I did consider Ekwonu at the Burks pick but I'm big on Burks and have him ranked higher.

49 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I’d take Neal over Green regardless of the position

I have them about evenly rated as prospects so I went positional since you have Wills and just traded for Thomas.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

In a league where teams almost all run 3 WR and sometimes even 4 WR sets, you can never have too many CBs imo. And I did consider Ekwonu at the Burks pick but I'm big on Burks and have him ranked higher.

I'd run three safety sets with Hamilton, Byard, and Fuller over 3 CBs. And even then I have Diggs, a converted CB, and Darius Phillips under contract for next year.

• Like 1