(poll) So what do we do with SS Landon Collins?

With the emergence of SS Kameran Curl, what to do with L. Collins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD we do with SS Landon Collins?

• Keep him where he is @ SS
    • Trade him to the highest bidder in the off season
    • Just outright cut him with no compensation like we're good at
    • Move him to OLB, where we're thin at
    • Dangle him for trade on Draft Day & draft day only

Trading Collins would net the team $3.4M in cap savings. Cutting Collins as a June cut would net the team $8M in cap savings in 2020, but dead cap charges of $4.2M in 2022 and 2023, and $1.2M in 2024 (they could consolidate that into $9.6M in dead cap in 2022 if they wanted). Cutting Collins a regular cut would cause Washington to lose $1.6M in cap space.

As much as it would be better to get something for him, I don't see a pathway where they can actually get another team to take on his contract.

Thus, I said try him out at OLB and then cut him the following year if it doesn't work.

• Like 2

One key to making the Curl/Collins duo work would be adding an LB or two that can be more reliable in coverage than the guys we have. One thing you’re probably not going to get out of that duo is the ability to clean up for other guys’ mistakes that you might get with an elite cover safety with supreme range. 

I think we’ve all viewed this a priority, but it would really a wide-ranging improvement that would help make the pass defense more cohesive and might take away some of the easy quick-hitting throws that are allowing good teams to neutralize our pass rush.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3
45 minutes ago, Woz said:

Trading Collins would net the team $3.4M in cap savings. Cutting Collins as a June cut would net the team $8M in cap savings in 2020, but dead cap charges of $4.2M in 2022 and 2023, and $1.2M in 2024 (they could consolidate that into $9.6M in dead cap in 2022 if they wanted). Cutting Collins a regular cut would cause Washington to lose $1.6M in cap space.

As much as it would be better to get something for him, I don't see a pathway where they can actually get another team to take on his contract.

Thus, I said try him out at OLB and then cut him the following year if it doesn't work.

I like that. Makes sense.

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One key to making the Curl/Collins would be adding an LB or two that can be more reliable in coverage than the guys we have. One thing you’re probably not going to get out of that duo is the ability to clean up for other guys’ mistakes that you might get with an elite cover safety with supreme range. 

I think we’ve all viewed this a priority, but it would really a wide-ranging improvement that would help make the pass defense more cohesive and might take away some of the easy quick-hitting throws that are allowing good teams to neutralize our pass rush.

I saw a stat/meme that one of the guys who do those on Instagram made that Holcomb is 4th in coverage for LBs this year, I guess that’s off of PFF’s analysis. 

I think upgrading MLB has always made sense - I’d love to get Dylan Moses to take over there - but I’m not sure if Rivera/DelRio move on from Bostic bc they see him as the veteran brains of their defense that took the defense from bottom 10 to top 10 in just one season.

So, while I wouldn’t like it, I could see our LB corps next year being:

WLB: Collins, Hudson, maybe JHC??

MLB: Bostic, SDH

SLB: Holcomb and Norris or a rookie/FA

Edited by turtle28
6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I saw a stat/meme that one of the guys who do those on Instagram made that Holcomb is 4th in coverage for LBs this year, I guess that’s off of PFF’s analysis. 

I think upgrading MLB has always made sense - I’d love to get Dylan Moses to take over there - but I’m not sure if Rivera/DelRio move on from Bostic bc they see him as the veteran brains of their defense that took the defense from bottom 10 to top 10 in just one season.

So, while I wouldn’t like it, I could see our LB corps next year being:

WLB: Collins, Hudson, maybe JHC??

MLB: Bostic, SDH

SLB: Holcomb and Norris or a rookie/FA

Please, not Bostic.

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Please, not Bostic.

I wouldn’t but I have a feeling that the linebacker in Rivera & DelRio will keep him around. They could’ve upgraded Bostic last March or April, they could’ve not signed Thomas Davis but bc they are both former LBs and they went with those veteran guys when they could’ve gotten younger and more athletic at the position. 

Edited by turtle28

Whether or not Landon Collins is back to 100%, Kam Curl needs to stay on the field. Play 3 safeties if you have to, or rotate him at nickel corner which he has played. 

long story short, Curl is a damn good player and he needs to stay on the field.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Slateman said:

NFL.com has him at 218.

Get him to 230 this offseason. He should have already started. Yes, he tore his Achilles. He can still do curls, dips, and cable work.

You don’t have to be 230 pounds to play WLB in the NFL. Telvin Smith who used to play for the Jags was 225 pounds and I’m sure there are other examples of guys playing who are under 230.

Edited by turtle28

If you move him to linebacker, I don't think OLB, I think middle.  But even if changing his position would actually work, this isn't the year to do it.  He will be too busy just trying to rehab when he would need to be busy getting a full training camp of reps to learn the position.

Collins has shown he can be a very good strong safety.  Not this year though.  They need to figure out what the problem is and fix it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, offbyone said:

If you move him to linebacker, I don't think OLB, I think middle.  But even if changing his position would actually work, this isn't the year to do it.  He will be too busy just trying to rehab when he would need to be busy getting a full training camp of reps to learn the position.

Collins has shown he can be a very good strong safety.  Not this year though.  They need to figure out what the problem is and fix it.

This is pretty much what I’m getting at. This guy has a track record of really good play at SS, and he’s still young. To me, that suggests they need to think about what they need to do to get Landon Collins back to being Landon Collins, the former All-Pro and 3x Pro Bowler. 

Maybe he just totally fell off a cliff at age 26...but it suspect it’s more likely that there’s still a way for this guy to continue being a highly impactful player. Curl’s play at SS this season adds a layer of complexity, to be sure, but I’m hopeful they’ll all come up with an effective way to get both of them on the field. 

• Like 1

Landon had that massive 2016 All Pro year and he's been living off name recognition since. He was a force back then but that was 4 years ago.He started declining when he was with the Giants his last year there. Isn't it curious how they didn't resign him? It wouldn't surprise me if Landon was abusing PEDs just because how much of his 2016 year ended up being an outlier.  He now has a ton of money in the bank and is coming off a serious injury. I think you are living in a fantasy land to think Landon will regain his former glory and play a new position well. I'd rather see what we have in Khaleke Hudson then trot Landon out there. We've seen this story before. Just another Free Agent bust.

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Landon had that massive 2016 All Pro year and he's been living off name recognition since. He was a force back then but that was 4 years ago.He started declining when he was with the Giants his last year there. Isn't it curious how they didn't resign him? It wouldn't surprise me if Landon was abusing PEDs just because how much of his 2016 year ended up being an outlier.  He now has a ton of money in the bank and is coming off a serious injury. I think you are living in a fantasy land to think Landon will regain his former glory and play a new position well. I'd rather see what we have in Khaleke Hudson then trot Landon out there. We've seen this story before. Just another Free Agent bust.

Not that PFF is the end-all, but as none of us were really watching him play in and play out in NY, it probably bears some noting that he was graded exactly the same in 2017 as the one year “PED outlier” you’ve identifiedy in 2016. He did drop off the next year, and was just a “good” player, rather than an “excellent” one, in 2018 and 2019. His grades those past two seasons were basically identical to what Kam Curl has done this season, incidentally. 

He struggled to start this season, definitely didn’t play well at all. But basically no one on this team played well the first month or two, with a new staff and new scheme and very little time to get up to speed. We saw most of the guys on the defense improve with more time to get comfortable, but Collins didn’t get that opportunity because of his injury. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to believe he would have progressed with more time in the system and been playing much better, like his usual self, at this point. 

I’ll end the same way I always do when it comes to Collins. Overpaid? Yes. Struggles in middle-deep coverage? Yes, he’s a box safety. But he’s still a good, impactful player. Good teams find ways to deploy guys like him that minimize their exposure and give them opportunities to make plays. You guys who think he flat out sucks, I’m honestly just not seeing what you’re seeing. 

Edited by e16bball
12 hours ago, offbyone said:

My worry with Collins in the middle is size. In the middle you’re in between the guards and could have to take on guards in the run game.

Also, it’s kind of now or never with Collins. I think he’s either moved to Lb or you cut him. So, regardless if he’s going to be rehabbing some of the offseason - let’s be clear, he’s 2 months into his rehab already - it’s either make the switch to LB this year or he’s going to be cut bc of his $17 million cap hit & Curl’s emergence. The issue is obviously that Kam Curl played better than Collins at SS this year and I see no reason to move our rookie to another position that he has been successful at this season.

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is pretty much what I’m getting at. This guy has a track record of really good play at SS, and he’s still young. To me, that suggests they need to think about what they need to do to get Landon Collins back to being Landon Collins, the former All-Pro and 3x Pro Bowler. 

Maybe he just totally fell off a cliff at age 26...but it suspect it’s more likely that there’s still a way for this guy to continue being a highly impactful player. Curl’s play at SS this season adds a layer of complexity, to be sure, but I’m hopeful they’ll all come up with an effective way to get both of them on the field. 

Yeah, which I’ve done. Move Collins to WLB.