(poll) So what do we do with SS Landon Collins?

With the emergence of SS Kameran Curl, what to do with L. Collins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD we do with SS Landon Collins?

• Keep him where he is @ SS
    • Trade him to the highest bidder in the off season
    • Just outright cut him with no compensation like we're good at
    • Move him to OLB, where we're thin at
    • Dangle him for trade on Draft Day & draft day only

1 hour ago, Woz said:

If you go back and read @e16bball's original thought, it was to try to keep both Curl and Collins as safeties while having a third safety (Everett or Reaves, I would guess) as the true high safety. I vaguely recall Gregg Williams (?) calling this the Cobra package back in the day.

The problem that I see with this is that it requires the team to have at least one uber-gifted middle linebacker because if/when the opposition goes three wide and you need your nickel formation, you really don't want Collins handling the underneath coverage stuff.

"Base"

• 4 DL
  • 2 LB
  • 1 LB/S
  • 2 CB
  • 2 S

"Nickel"

• 4 DL
  • 1 LB
  • 1 LB/S
  • 3 CB
  • 2 S

All that’s really saying is that you would take out one of your more traditional OLBs (Holcomb or KPL or Hudson or whomever) and replace them with Collins. 

There are flaws in that plan, but coverage is probably not one of them — Collins might not be a top coverage safety, but he’s far more capable of covering in underneath zones and in man against TEs/RBs than those guys.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Woz said:

If you go back and read @e16bball's original thought, it was to try to keep both Curl and Collins as safeties while having a third safety (Everett or Reaves, I would guess) as the true high safety. I vaguely recall Gregg Williams (?) calling this the Cobra package back in the day.

The problem that I see with this is that it requires the team to have at least one uber-gifted middle linebacker because if/when the opposition goes three wide and you need your nickel formation, you really don't want Collins handling the underneath coverage stuff.

"Base"

• 4 DL
  • 2 LB
  • 1 LB/S
  • 2 CB
  • 2 S

"Nickel"

• 4 DL
  • 1 LB
  • 1 LB/S
  • 3 CB
  • 2 S

Yeah, like in 08 & 2009 when we had Chris Horton as a rookie and Greg Williams and then Blache had the Cobra package on 3rd downs w/ Horton coming in. I remember Horton playing similar to like a LB as the 3rd safety though. Doughty & Landry had deeper coverage responsibilities.

So, Collins would be in that Chris Horton role which is pretty similar to a LB role.

Maybe I’m naive but I don’t think underneath coverage is as big of an issue for Collins as deep coverage. 

I’ve said this all year, but again my entire thought of moving Collins to the WLB position is so he doesn’t have deep coverage responsibilities. He’ll be closer to the line of scrimmage and be free to make more plays behind the line of scrimmage when the coaches have him blitzing instead of covering the flats or covering a TE/Slot WR in short zones. The deep coverage responsibilities  need to be left up to whoever our FS is year year whether that’s Everrett, Reaves, a FA or a rookie we draft and the corners.

I am not as concerned as others are about Collins’s coverage as a WLB. He’s better in that role then he is as a safety.

Edited by turtle28
On 1/5/2021 at 2:31 AM, e16bball said:

All that’s really saying is that you would take out one of your more traditional OLBs (Holcomb or KPL or Hudson or whomever) and replace them with Collins. 

There are flaws in that plan, but coverage is probably not one of them — Collins might not be a top coverage safety, but he’s far more capable of covering in underneath zones and in man against TEs/RBs than those guys.

Do you want him more focused on crashing down on the line to hunt the QB/RB or do you want him worrying about zone coverage? If the latter, then he's effectively moving to LB.