New Years Off-season.

SimbaWho

Lions hire Rick Smith as GM.

Lions hire Brain Daboll as HC.

Ben McAdoo is hired as OC.

Josh Wash is hired as DC.

Doug Marrone is hired at AHC/OLine coach.

Lions trade Mathew Stafford to the Patriots for their 1st round pick, 4th round pick, 7th round pick and a 4th round pick in 2022.  Frees over 10 million.

Lions cut CB Justin Coleman, CB Marcus Trufant, DT Danny Shelton, DT Nick Williams, DT DeShawn Hand, and DE Austin Bryant. Frees over 22 million.

1st – Kyle Wilson, QB. BYU. ( 6’3, 210lbs. )

1st – (NE) DeVonta Smith, WR. Alabama. ( 6’1, 180lbs. )

2nd – Rashod Bateman, WR. Minnesota. ( 6’1, 210lbs. )

3rd – Patrick Jones II., DE. Pittsburgh. ( 6’5, 260lbs. )

4th – Dimitri Moore, LB. Vanderbilt. ( 6’3, 225lbs. )

4th – (NE) Tedarrell Slaton, DT. Florida. ( 6’5, 345lbs. ) 

6th – Evan McPherson, K. Florida. ( 5’10, 165lbs. )

7th – (NE) C.J. Marable, RB. Costal Carolina. ( 5’8, 200lbs. )

* Lions use Transition Tag on DE Romeo Okwara, * 15.5 * million dollar salary. *

Lions resign WR Kenny Golladay to a 5 year deal worth 85 million dollars, 25 million dollar signing bonus.

Lions sign DT Delvin Tomlinson to a 4 year deal worth 28 million dollars, 10 million dollar signing bonus.

Lions sign OT Joe Haeg to a 3 year deal worth 21 million dollars, 6 million dollar signing bonus.

Lions sign Kevin King to a 3 year deal worth 18.5 million, 3.5 million dollar signing bonus.

Lions resign DE Everson Griffen to a 2 year deal worth 9.5 million dollars, 4.5 million dollar signing bonus.

Lions sign QB Mike Glennon to a 3 year deal worth 7 million, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus.

Lions sign S Josh Jones to a 1 year deal worth 1.5 million, 500k dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar salary.

Lions sign C Tyler Shantley to a 1 year deal worth league minimum.

Lions sign CB Arthur Maulet to a 1 year deal worth league minimum.

Lions sign CB Darqueze Dennard to a 1 year deal worth league minimum.

Lions resign LS Don Mulbach to a 1 year deal worth the league minimum.

Lions resign LB/FB Jason Cabina to a 1 year RFA offer.

Roster:

RT: Joe Haeg, Matt Nelson

RG: Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Logan Stenberg

OC: Frank Ragnow, Tyler Shatley

LG: Jonah Jackson, Joe Dahl

LT: Taylor Decker, Tyrell Crosby

RB: D’Andre Swift, Kerryon Johnson, C.J. Marable

FB: Jason Cabina

QB: Kyle Wilson, Mike Glennon, Chase Daniels

WR: Kenny Golladay, DeVonta Smith, Rashod Bateman, Quintez Cephus, Geronimo Allison

TE: T.J. Hockenson, Jesse James, Hunter Bryant

DE: Romeo Okwara, Patrick Jones II., Julian Okwara

DT: Delvin Tomlinson, Kevin Strong

DT: John Penisini, Tedarrell Slaton

DE: Everson Griffen, Trey Flowers

OLB: Christian Jones, Jayleen Maybin-Revees

MLB: Dimitri Moore, Jahlani Tavai

OLB: Jamie Collins, Jason Cabina

CB: Kevin King, Amani Oruwariye

Nickle: Darqueze Dennard, Michael Ford

S: Josh Jones, Will Harris

S: Tracy Walker, C.J. Moore

CB: Jeff Okudah, Arthur Maulet

LS: Don Mulbach

P: Jack Fox

K: Evan McPherson

KR/PR: C.J. Marable

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

Loaded up on offensive talent. I think a lot will depend on the next coach on how things go. If it's a defensive hire we might see a lot more defense added. If it's an offensive guy like Daboll then, I think the organization will spend a lot of resources on that side of the ball.

I doubt it could happen this way but Wilson, Smith, Bateman is a bit of a dream when it comes to the draft. Resigning Golladay, having Swift/Hockenson. Upgrading RT. Things look really good on the offensive side. 

Didn't completely ignore the defense, added some interior help, drafted some potential on the outside. Have Okwara for a year to resign, or trade for picks(the route I'd perfer.) A lot of players and money coming off the books the following year to spend on defensive talent.

Feel like the hires are credible NFL minds.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

As much as I want to see defense for everything, this does make sense.  If they get the offense humming, they can at least stand a chance in a shootout in a year or two.  This draft would definitely hings on Wilson though, which at this point I'm not incredibly certain of. But then again, outside of Lawrence, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. This could speed up a rebuild.

Edited by LionArkie

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

As much as I want to see defense for everything, this does make sense.  If they get the offense humming, they can at least stand a chance in a shootout in a year or two.  This draft would definitely hings on Wilson though, which at this point I'm not incredibly certain of. But then again, outside of Lawrence, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. This could speed up a rebuild.

Yeah i'd agree with the Wilson statement. Literally everything hinges on guys like Wilson, Fields, etc, and what whoever in charge thinks of them going forward. Likely don't trade Stafford if they aren't willing to tie their careers to the hip of one of these QB's. (Especially a HC hire)

As an outsider, it seems a bit unrealistic.  Not sure Stafford is someone that a team is going to cough up a FRP for.  Maybe something like a 3rd this year plus a conditional '21 FRP (based on his production and the team's success).  His cap hit if traded is $20M is solid if he's healthy, but he's struggled with injuries the last few years and he's going to be 33 years old.  Just don't see a team outside of a team like New Orleans (who is a win-now team) making that move.  Don't think you're getting a top 15 pick and then change for him.

Don't really see any of your first three picks falling.  Zach Wilson is in play as high as #2 to the Jets.  Could also go to Miami at 3 and Atlanta at 4.  And there's always teams that could trade up.  Probably need a top 5 pick to ensure you get him.  Again, don't see DeVonta Smith falling out of the top 12 or so.  And Rashod Bateman probably goes late first.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As an outsider, it seems a bit unrealistic.  Not sure Stafford is someone that a team is going to cough up a FRP for.  Maybe something like a 3rd this year plus a conditional '21 FRP (based on his production and the team's success).  His cap hit if traded is $20M is solid if he's healthy, but he's struggled with injuries the last few years and he's going to be 33 years old.  Just don't see a team outside of a team like New Orleans (who is a win-now team) making that move.  Don't think you're getting a top 15 pick and then change for him.

Don't really see any of your first three picks falling.  Zach Wilson is in play as high as #2 to the Jets.  Could also go to Miami at 3 and Atlanta at 4.  And there's always teams that could trade up.  Probably need a top 5 pick to ensure you get him.  Again, don't see DeVonta Smith falling out of the top 12 or so.  And Rashod Bateman probably goes late first.

Well...

If it could go that way... you'd be scared though...  😂

To be fair......

Lions can still pick as high as 3rd overall.

Also, My question to you as a football fan. How much longer does Bill Bellichick have to win a superbowl in N.E. Would it be easier with a rookie at 10th, or gamble for the following season for another rookie, or make a trade for someone like Stafford/Wentz maybe possibly someone else? How do you see/envision B.B. winning his next superbowl?

I think you're just way off in the value (maybe like me). Stafford can turn a mediocre team into a playoff team immediately. Going to teams, maybe not Patriots year 1, but teams like S.F., Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indy, Denver, Washington, give Stafford value. The allure with the Patriots is the small window to win with  HC and essentially GM Bill Belichick. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

The likelihood of this panning out feels really slim to none. Based on the current draft order:

Teams that could draft a QB before Lions at 7 (5)

1 - Jacksonville

2 - New York Jets

3 - Miami (via Houston)

4 - Atlanta

6 - Philadelphia

QB's with top half 1st round grades YTD (4): Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance. Best case scenario: Miami, Atlanta and Philly all bypass QBOTF leaving us with our pick of 2/3 Fields, Wilson or Lance. Worst case scenario: Miami makes either Wilson or Fields the Kyler to Tua's Rosen while Atlanta or Philly select Lance. 

Even if the Jets do decide to keep Darnold, they're in a position to trade down, collect a bunch of picks and the pick is likely going to be a QB either way. 

As for your draft: 

Things I like: Experienced GM, getting value for Stafford

Things I don't like: Inexperienced offensive HC, rookie QB and adding another vet QB while retaining Daniels at his price feels like a waste, don't love Swift being left without a lot of help behind him, practically ignoring the defense and retaining guys who aren't good players/good players for scheme, playing someone like Flowers at backup despite his contract, keeping Jesse James and not adding another piece to the TE room

It's Zach Wilson, for what it's worth. And I feel like he will be gone by the time that we pick. 

Not a fan of doubling-down at WR like that with so many needs on the defense. You could maybe justify it if we didn't resign Golladay, or if we tagged and traded him, but Golladay/Rookie/Cheap Veteran/Cephus would be a good enough group of receivers. 

5 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

It's Zach Wilson, for what it's worth. And I feel like he will be gone by the time that we pick. 

Not a fan of doubling-down at WR like that with so many needs on the defense. You could maybe justify it if we didn't resign Golladay, or if we tagged and traded him, but Golladay/Rookie/Cheap Veteran/Cephus would be a good enough group of receivers. 

I'd even be ok with adding two rookie WR's (assuming that we have a number of extra picks somehow) but somewhere in the middle to late rounds (4-6). We've seen guys like Terry McLaurin come out and be productive despite being a later round pick. Investing our 1st and 2nd at the position seems like overkill. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd even be ok with adding two rookie WR's (assuming that we have a number of extra picks somehow) but somewhere in the middle to late rounds (4-6). We've seen guys like Terry McLaurin come out and be productive despite being a later round pick. Investing our 1st and 2nd at the position seems like overkill. 

I feel the same way. This is another very deep WR class. Why spend two early picks on one when you're resigning Golladay and drafting an elite prospect in Smith? Bateman is good, but I'd rather use that pick elsewhere and then sign a cheap veteran and/or pick up another guy later in the draft.