Tyty’s Gaming Journal

Ty21

5 hours ago, Neumatic said:

this reminds me, I never did finish Valhalla. I made the mistake of playing Odyssey and Valhalla back to back and got burnt out.  

Definitely plan on getting into Hogwarts Legacy.

Valhalla was a mindlessly long game and had almost nothing to do with assassins creed 

• Like 2

Day four:

•finding the Daedalian Keys are the bane of my existence 

•Professor Garlick is 100% banging her students. Professor Sprout set a bad example of what a herbology professor can look like 

•running around doing side quests and being blocked by areas being temporarily off limits kinda irks but it’s understandable. Some of it is from spells idk yet 

•finally unlocked the broom. Flying around is rad affff. I’m good enough at flying it until you ask my to fly through dumb hoops in close proximity. Might accomplish it, but my blood pressure will be 180/120 after 

•also learned you can equip gear but hide the appearance or force the appearance of a different item. 10/10 feature in games 

•it’s a struggle not googling what to do at certain times cause I’d rather just solve things naturally. But the daedelian keys just need to be found and ended, and also I don’t have the slightest clue how to solve the doors with the triangles and creatures and numbers. 

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

it’s a struggle not googling what to do at certain times cause I’d rather just solve things naturally. But the daedelian keys just need to be found and ended, and also I don’t have the slightest clue how to solve the doors with the triangles and creatures and numbers. 

Each creature is a number, zero through 9. Single ? Or double ?? Tells you which dial to spin

Day five:

•Deek the house elf is 100% banging the students. Dobby set a bad example of what a house elf can look like 

•the novelty of wizard room customization is lost on me. I think fallout 4 made me not care about this kind of stuff. 

•I mentioned it being a bit disconcerting that the songs are almost Harry Potter songs but if someone had heard the song once and then tried to play it from memory, and my brother said the HP composer wouldn’t have been born at this point, which is a fair point. 

•Sebastian taught me confringo but said not to hit anything but the target so I don’t destroy the room because it would alienate Ominus Gaunt. So I went a little crazy and destroyed the entire room, but Ominus Gaunt is blind, so he’ll be none the wiser. 

•it seems fairly obvious not to reveal my secrets to Sebastian but I’m gossiping everything to everyone and dealing with the whiplash later. 

•did a side quest that resulted in learning the person’s brother was dead and interrupted her crying about it to sell her my loot 

•with quidditch cancelled, it’s only natural that the flying instructor is teaching me combat spells 

Days 6-8

•I failed a puzzle successfully out in the wild. It’s a levioso challenge but I couldn’t figure out quite what I needed to do to open the door permanently, just hitting it with the spell only opened the wall for a second. So I positioned myself on the wall, hit the marker with levioso and fell inside and was trapped until I fast traveled out. I consider it a W regardless. 

•doing a flying challenge and Imelda slyly says “if it isn’t the second best slytherin” as an insult but I’ve only been at hogwarts for 5 days. Like shouldn’t you be pretty worried about your throne if I’m already better than 99% of the other students a week into going to school for the first time?

•is the leaderboard for flying other hogwarts students or my PlayStation friend list? Cause if the former, Imelda is pretty smug about being a pretty **** flyer. She’s not even in the top 5 and I beat her scores by 20 seconds both times so far 

•finally unlocked alohamora so I’ve just been spamming the demiguise collectibles. I just broke into a house and ate a candy that made me breathe fire. Just imagine the homeowner walking into his house, seeing it’s been broken into and some teenager is benignly blowing fire around his living room 

•it’s crazy how my character saying  “I wonder who lives here” every single time he sees a building doesn’t get old 

• Like 1

Days 9-10

•Gladwin Moon is easily the most annoying character in the game thus far but when he sent me a howler letter when I was getting my **** tossed by 20 inferi I was dying 

•wish they’d handled random side quest activation better. I explored as much as I could in the beginning to the point I’m probably not going to back track again unless I decide to chase all collectibles later on (I’ve already gotten a bunch) so the chance encounter side quests you have to randomly happen upon feel like they’ll go by unnoticed 

•totally zoned out in the conversation part of a Sirona Ryan side quest so I’m at a loss as to why she keeps all her hogwarts letters in a box in a random cave with a troll in it. The Knick knacks I still have from my high school days are in my garage, not in a random cave with a troll in it. 

•I feel like some of these challenges didn’t account for you having a broom when you do it. Beat an ancient magic thing in like 15 seconds lol

•it is funny there are people that play these types games strategically with certain sets of armor that account for skill and advantage buffs and all that but I’ve never not just brute force played a game. I only upgrade my armor when the numbers are better, not the actual perk to the armor and only out of some sense of obligation. I would be more than fine just running through the whole game with just a toga on 

•my ****ing god I was doing a Merlin trial and couldn’t affect the pillars at all and was getting annoyed, about to google what I’m supposed to do to them after trying every spell. I hadn’t even started the challenges with the mallowsweet leaves. It’s hard work being this dumb 

•lol Sebastian described his sister getting assaulted by a mystery person that said what my own physically abusive grandpa liked to say all the time “children should be seen but not heard”. I didn’t expect them to put him in the game but at this point I’ll put nothing past Rowling. 

•”get your head out of your butterbeer” 😂

•kids are just standing by the house points statues, jumping and applauding and laughing. God, it must’ve been miserably boring in the 1800’s. 

12 hours ago, Ty21 said:

totally zoned out in the conversation part of a Sirona Ryan side quest so I’m at a loss as to why she keeps all her hogwarts letters in a box in a random cave with a troll in it. The Knick knacks I still have from my high school days are in my garage, not in a random cave with a troll in it. 

That ladies husband was going to deliver the notes to Sirona and went to the cave to get horklumps while he was on his way. (Or something like that anyway)

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ty21 said:

my ****ing god I was doing a Merlin trial and couldn’t affect the pillars at all and was getting annoyed, about to google what I’m supposed to do to them after trying every spell. I hadn’t even started the challenges with the mallowsweet leaves. It’s hard work being this dumb 

The ones where you have to use lumos on the bugs? Same happened to me

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty. Officially finished the game. I think even with its shortcomings, I’ll give it an 8.5

Pros:

•Harry Potter was pretty much dead to me but this game reignited my interest massively. I wasn’t expecting to even like the game 

•combat was very easy repetitive but not in a begrudging way

•flying was a great dynamic to the game, it even helped my circumvent some annoying collectibles at times. I did fly around the quidditch pitch to see how quidditch would actually feel and it really would’ve been hard to pull off, at least with the broom physics they set up 

•there were a couple decent characters and stories 

•it felt honest to Harry potter’s world. Venturing around the castle was a joy  

Cons:

•the world was expansive, but with no depth. For the most part, you couldn’t interact with anyone or do many things outside of the collectibles 

•I feel like at this point, having enemies you fight all clones of one model is just lazy. There were like 5 variants for poachers but every iteration of them looked exactly like the last. Soulless nameless enemy waves is just bland to me 

•there are an obscene amount of collectibles, some of which you need to unlock trophies. 
•I could’ve done with more lore and world building beyond mere field pages. More classes. More random events in the world. They really ought to cut the world size by about 33% at least for the next one. 
•I’m not trophy hunting but having 4 different trophies based on accomplishing a certain thing while in each hogwarts house is hilarious. 

That’s what I have off the top of my head. I had a lot more fun than I expected to. 

Oh right, at end of game, when the pillar is about to drop on you and it gets leviosa’ed to it doesn’t fall, I said “yoda?” But it wasn’t yoda, it was professor Weasley. Then she drops the pillar to be a bridge for us but it collapses for the enemies when they try to cross, in a throwback to mummy returns when Brendan Fraser makes it across and the mummy monkeys aren’t quite so lucky 

That closing cut scene felt like a huge F.U.

Spoiler for the end of the game

Spoiler

This entire game was building up to the OWLs and we get a 60 second scene? Why not a quest that involves something, anything for the character to actually do?

This game was incomplete and should have been delayed another 6 months at least. As you said, very little depth to it despite the massive world.

Just started to feel like they pasted HP world over an assassin's creed game and added wands

They did a much better job with those PS2 games in a lot of ways. Quidditch, classes, House points actually mattering (and showing up in those vials). And no plans for a DLC? 🗑

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Next game up is Dragon Ball Z Kakarot. What I really liked about this game from the get go is it was free. Nostalgia is an interesting thing for me because I’m not quite as stricken by it so when it hits it pulls me in. The YouTube videos for this looked boring but actually playing it myself it’s decently fun. I’m about to fight vegeta for the first time. This game hit me with the funniest moment in gaming for me in a while, I actually laughed pretty hard. 

7v0PumE.jpg

I really think they should’ve thought harder about their battle grading system 

6 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Next game up is Dragon Ball Z Kakarot. What I really liked about this game from the get go is it was free. Nostalgia is an interesting thing for me because I’m not quite as stricken by it so when it hits it pulls me in. The YouTube videos for this looked boring but actually playing it myself it’s decently fun. I’m about to fight vegeta for the first time. This game hit me with the funniest moment in gaming for me in a while, I actually laughed pretty hard. 

7v0PumE.jpg

I really think they should’ve thought harder about their battle grading system 

This game is super long.  If you’re not a huge DBZ fan (I am) I’m not sure you’ll get a ton out of it.