Jump to content

Bears (8-7) vs Packers (12-3) - GDT


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Remember when the Bears had an elite defense? Those were the days...

That left when Fangio left town.  Just goes to show how very good of a coach he is.

This is why I wish Nagy had kept Brandon Staley on as DC instead of hiring Chuck.  The guy was one of Fangio's handpicked coached and he is a rising star now in league circles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That left when Fangio left town.  Just goes to show how very good of a coach he is.

This is why I wish Nagy had kept Brandon Staley on as DC instead of hiring Chuck.  The guy was one of Fangio's handpicked coached and he is a rising star now in league circles.

And Amos, Kwiatkowski, Floyd...

I argued this before the season started - we are several players and a great coach removed from the elite defense of 2018. The Bears ended outside the top 10 in many team defense statistics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

And Amos, Kwiatkowski, Floyd...

I argued this before the season started - we are several players and a great coach removed from the elite defense of 2018. The Bears ended outside the top 10 in many team defense statistics.

 

Problem was Trevathan and Quinn came in out of shape or hurt and have been sub par players and Goldman opted out.   Mack has been playing injured and is not himself.   DL has not been able to protect Roquan Smith for much of year.   All that is what hurts.   

When Jaylon Johnson and Skrine were healthy secondary was pretty good, but front 7 has not held up well all year.   With them out and above the defense is just really bad all the way around.   

Fangio is a top coordinator so losing him hurt for sure.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Problem was Trevathan and Quinn came in out of shape or hurt and have been sub par players and Goldman opted out.   Mack has been playing injured and is not himself.   DL has not been able to protect Roquan Smith for much of year.   All that is what hurts.   

When Jaylon Johnson and Skrine were healthy secondary was pretty good, but front 7 has not held up well all year.   With them out and above the defense is just really bad all the way around.   

Fangio is a top coordinator so losing him hurt for sure.

Trevathan, Quinn, Hicks, and Mack will all be 30+ next year.

Jackson needs to start playing like an elite S again. Gipson needs to be replaced. The Bears need to solve their Nickel position for the future.

It's no longer an elite unit. In the 2nd half of the season they allowed 25.5 PPG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Trevathan, Quinn, Hicks, and Mack will all be 30+ next year.

Jackson needs to start playing like an elite S again. Gipson needs to be replaced. The Bears need to solve their Nickel position for the future.

It's no longer an elite unit. In the 2nd half of the season they allowed 25.5 PPG.

whats wrong with gipson? he was on a steal of a contract at a vet minimum and played above average defense

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

whats wrong with gipson? he was on a steal of a contract at a vet minimum and played above average defense

He stinks, but he's the least of their problems

Trevathan isn't good. Mack and Hicks are hurt (?). Jackson isn't great. RRH is out. Defenses have such a difficult being great each and every year and that's why building an offense, specifically in today's NFL, is so important

Edited by beardown3231
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

whats wrong with gipson? he was on a steal of a contract at a vet minimum and played above average defense

He makes very little impact and is often a step late to make plays in coverage. He's not a sieve, but he's not impactful enough to keep and certainly isn't as good as Amos or HHCD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He makes very little impact and is often a step late to make plays in coverage. He's not a sieve, but he's not impactful enough to keep and certainly isn't as good as Amos or HHCD.

amos got 4/37, HHCD was out of the league this year, and gipson got 1/1. actually put it into context. Is amos 37x better? no. and if HHCD was better, AT LEAST 1 team would have him on their team

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

amos got 4/37, HHCD was out of the league this year, and gipson got 1/1. actually put it into context. Is amos 37x better? no. and if HHCD was better, AT LEAST 1 team would have him on their team

What a way to measure if a guy is better than another 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

amos got 4/37, HHCD was out of the league this year, and gipson got 1/1. actually put it into context. Is amos 37x better? no. and if HHCD was better, AT LEAST 1 team would have him on their team

You've convinced me he's cheap, not that he's playing well. I'd prefer to look at other cheap options (e.g. a rookie or another vet min player) next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

You've convinced me he's cheap, not that he's playing well. I'd prefer to look at other cheap options (e.g. a rookie or another vet min player) next season.

There were ZERO noticeable differences between Amos to HHCD in this defense. If anything, HHCD was better since he had to clean up Prince's declining failures in 2019 whereas Prince was good in 2018 when Amos was here.  The same with Gipson this year. He was playing good until he had to try and cover up for 2 rookies who were thrown into the fire due to injuries. 

If Pace had payed Amos 4/37 instead of HHCD to minimal contract then you and others would be bitching about that. 

Gipson has been fine. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Maybe he should be an All-Pro every year and then he will be good xD

 

I'm referring to Gipson. He isn't good. You don't have to be an All Pro to be good. Again watch a postgame show where Briggs and Brown tear him apart with film to back it up

Stop being so sarcastic all the time. Sorry that your favorite player Eddie Jackson is overrated and never makes a big play anymore. Don't take it out on me

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

There were ZERO noticeable differences between Amos to HHCD in this defense. If anything, HHCD was better since he had to clean up Prince's declining failures in 2019 whereas Prince was good in 2018 when Amos was here.  The same with Gipson this year. He was playing good until he had to try and cover up for 2 rookies who were thrown into the fire due to injuries. 

If Pace had payed Amos 4/37 instead of HHCD to minimal contract then you and others would be bitching about that. 

Gipson has been fine. 

Eh, Amos was more reliable, better tackler, but I totally agree that letting him walk was the right move in light of other money commitments. Would have loved to keep him, but not for what GB is paying. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...