DT Stephen Paea retires

textaz03

Our entire interior DL has issues, and now this?

the Price was not right. Thornton is gone, with good reason. Irving is better as a rotation guy. Crawford is best rotating inside and outside as well. And Collins hasnt exactly lived up to expectations inside. 

These are bignfactors why this run defense has been so terrible. The lanes inside are wide enough for Peyton Hillis to return and gash us, and if you compound that with poor Mike play, missed tackles by the backers and safeties, man, this defense isnt going to do us any favors at all.

Hitch returning fulltime helps, so does sitting down Jaylon Smith. Lee back out there will help. But if theres no one keeping the backers clean, and the initial lanes are huge gaps, we could put the 1986 Mike Singletary at mike and still give up 150 yards rushing.

We dont need a superstud inside. We just need a fatty with an attitude, a motor, and good technique. Why is this suddenly so hard to find?

28 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'm not saying we need to spend a premium pick on a 1T...but how about we start valuing the position a little bit?

Well Marinelli was the one that started all that devaluing stuff with Shariff Floyd.  Most of us learned that we didn't like DTs through the Floyd experience. So I don't think that will change until Marinelli sauce is gone.

We did find Collins at the beginning of the 3rd round, so Marinelli isn't wrong that Quality DTs tend to slip in the draft.

Wouldn't at all be opposed to nabbing another DT on day 2.

18 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Wasn't impressed with Paea, but hurt depth chart. Good opportunity for Lewis Neal. I suspect he gets promoted from PS

I didn't catch a bunch of the preseason games but I hope he has gained weight.  I see he barely made 270 lbs at the combine.

Archived