Has Trevor Lawrence Peaked?

RuskieTitan

Has Trevor Lawrence Peaked in his football career?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has Trevor Lawrence Peaked in his football career?

• Yes
    • No

On 1/2/2021 at 5:13 AM, Counselor said:

Yes I do. Does that mean he has peaked though? So let me understand are we talking about he has already peaked in his achievements (winning a championship at any level, meaning he won’t win a super bowl) Or he has peaked in his development? Or both? I see you said football career so it’s possible I took career to mean his overall development as a player and not accolades if that is what you are speaking about.

Seems like you’re implying his success is more of a function of the surrounding parts rather than his play. Which is worrisome because you would hope someone with his talent and hype would be able to elevate the team beyond their abilities. 

Not saying I believe that but your post kinda goes towards that theory. 

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Seems like you’re implying his success is more of a function of the surrounding parts rather than his play. Which is worrisome because you would hope someone with his talent and hype would be able to elevate the team beyond their abilities. 

Not saying I believe that but your post kinda goes towards that theory. 

It doesn’t 

My take on Lawrence:

• Definitely has generational physical talent, and has definitely had wow moments against lesser opponents 
  • I think Clemson got what they could out from Lawrence but didn't come close to what he could be given his talent level.
  • May be due to Clemson, but he definitely has not showed the same mental processing of a Luck or Manning, again, it may be due to the the coaching he receives. I know Dabo believes in simplicity which allows a lot of young players to play early but obviously may stunt certain players growth. I have a theory that you put Lawrence with David Cutcliffe and he would no question be the best prospect since Manning.
  • You put Lawrence with an established, elite, veteran OC/HC who can be his eyes his first couple of years and he will win multiple SBs, if he gets anything less he wont have a long career, he may make the playoffs a few times but not close to his talent level.
  • I personally think he needs a lot of work when he is under pressure (like his last 3 playoff games) because this is basically going to be life at the next level on a bad team. If he gets better at this, this is where he makes the biggest leap as a QB, for instance 8:15 on this clip was a very impressive throw under pressure. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Lawrence reminds me of Luck as a prospect, dude has so much hype that if he's not the GOAT every week it's considered a disappointment. He definitely hasn't peaked though and will be a good NFL QB, but it will be tough to live up to expectations because of how high they will be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 4:01 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Vince Young put on arguably the single greatest individual football performance in college against USC in the championship, yet could never come close to that same success in the NFL. He peaked in college. So the question is whether Trevor's football career has already peaked. Following the success of his freshman season, you would imagine he would build upon that and improve, yet he's not been able to do that and has indeed taken a step back each season since then in terms of where Clemson has gotten bounced.

Vince's performance in the Rose Bowl was legendary.  Unfortunately, I think he was a bit lacking in areas of maturity and intelligence.  He was able to cover that up with his talent at the college level, but he was exposed when he got to the NFL.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Trevor Lawrence.  From all reports I've heard, he seems to really have his act together.  They seem like very different players to me.

As far as championship game performances are concerned, I don't watch college football, but could it be that his supporting cast isn't as good now as it was a couple years ago?  I really don't know the answer to that question.  All I do know is that I like what I've seen from the highlight videos that are out there. 

47 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Vince's performance in the Rose Bowl was legendary.  Unfortunately, I think he was a bit lacking in areas of maturity and intelligence.  He was able to cover that up with his talent at the college level, but he was exposed when he got to the NFL.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Trevor Lawrence.  From all reports I've heard, he seems to really have his act together.  They seem like very different players to me.

As far as championship game performances are concerned, I don't watch college football, but could it be that his supporting cast isn't as good now as it was a couple years ago?  I really don't know the answer to that question.  All I do know is that I like what I've seen from the highlight videos that are out there. 

That continues to be my favorite college football game ever. My goodness that game was awesome.

Through the playoffs, Lawrence has been preparing each week as if he was playing each NFL defense. 

On 1/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, NYRaider said:

Lawrence reminds me of Luck as a prospect, dude has so much hype that if he's not the GOAT every week it's considered a disappointment. He definitely hasn't peaked though and will be a good NFL QB, but it will be tough to live up to expectations because of how high they will be.

There will undoubtedly be people knocking him if he doesn't lead the Jaguars to the Super Bowl in his first season.  The way I'm looking at it is that there are only a handful of teams in the league who can say "we have one of the 5-6 "elite" quarterbacks.  Even if it isn't a 100% sure thing right now, I do think it's fairly safe for the Jaguars to assume they will be more than likely be one of those teams before too long.

Edited by Uncle Buck