Which playoff games, or even regular season games from the past struck you as the "real" SB that year?

TecmoSuperJoe

7 hours ago, BigTrav said:

When Pats beat us a couple seasons ago in the AFC CG. Had pretty much everything, including an OT winner  (although it didn't have Mahomes retaking the field to score in response, but we won't go there...demz the rules)

The superbowl was boring and the living embodiment of Stephen Hawking without the intelligence was trying to beat Bill Belichick. Cool.

Yep 100%

That was a great game, SB was a snooze fest.

• Like 1

I don't recall 1992 that much and I think Dallas was a bit of a 1-year-early SB Champ that year but the 1993 and 1994 NFCCGs definitely felt like the real Super Bowl.

Possibly some of the 1974-1976 Raiders Steelers matchups

The 1976 Steelers had a weird start to that year but they were on a 10 game win streak.

• They gave up 28 points in their last 9 regular season games.
    • Not 28 points per game, 28 points total.

The 1976 Raiders were on their own 11 game win streak going into that AFCCG.

The Rams or Vikings had no shot against the team that won that AFCCG.

• The Vikings also played SB doormat in 2 of the previous 3 seasons.
  • The AFC had  won 7 of the last 8 Super Bowls.

sabol1.gif

Edited by SkippyX

8 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

You can't call a game the REAL SB, if neither team actually won the SB.

"Real Super Bowl" as in which game during the season was more epic, and entertaining than the actual game that was played that year. The question and answers I was seeking are obviously going to be idealized, not factualized. 

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

"Real Super Bowl" as in which game during the season was more epic, and entertaining than the actual game that was played that year. The question and answers I was seeking are obviously going to be idealized, not factualized. 

What ya call my mama?

If that's the case... 2018 Rams vs Chiefs. Amazing game.

11 hours ago, BigTrav said:

When Pats beat us a couple seasons ago in the AFC CG. Had pretty much everything, including an OT winner  (although it didn't have Mahomes retaking the field to score in response, but we won't go there...demz the rules)

The superbowl was boring and the living embodiment of Stephen Hawking without the intelligence was trying to beat Bill Belichick. Cool.

Both conference championships that year were better than the actual Super Bowl.  

9 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

You can't call a game the REAL SB, if neither team actually won the SB.

Fully agreed. My formula is basically:

If Super Bowl Winner completely blows out Super Bowl Loser (like 3 scores), AND won a close game in the Conference Championship, then that Conference Championship was the Real Super Bowl. 2013 NFC Championship of Seahawks vs 49ers is a primary example.

Although since Joe clarified... the title of this thread should be “What was Game of the Year if not the Super Bowl?”. 

What was the real Super Bowl implies that the loser of the Super Bowl was not the second best team in the NFL. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2