Which playoff games, or even regular season games from the past struck you as the "real" SB that year?

TecmoSuperJoe

16 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Yup, the "real" Super Bowl. That's why neither team made it to the Super Bowl. 

Everyone knows the Vikings were the "real" champions that year! 

I disagree.  We were beaten fair and square by the Eagles in the NFCCG.  Now, if you want to talk about Vikings/Saints in 2009, then I'll definitely agree with you. 

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I don't recall 1992 that much and I think Dallas was a bit of a 1-year-early SB Champ that year but the 1993 and 1994 NFCCGs definitely felt like the real Super Bowl.

Possibly some of the 1974-1976 Raiders Steelers matchups

The 1976 Steelers had a weird start to that year but they were on a 10 game win streak.

• They gave up 28 points in their last 9 regular season games.
    • Not 28 points per game, 28 points total.

The 1976 Raiders were on their own 11 game win streak going into that AFCCG.

The Rams or Vikings had no shot against the team that won that AFCCG.

• The Vikings also played SB doormat in 2 of the previous 3 seasons.
  • The AFC had  won 7 of the last 8 Super Bowls.

sabol1.gif

The Vikings should have won the first one they were in (Super Bowl IV).  They were the better team that year.  The other three Super Bowls we were beaten by better teams. 

On 1/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, WheatieMan said:

Bettis fumble and Vanderjack shank in 2006 was good, but Steelers had dominated the game and fluke ensued to get the Colts back in.

Our idiot Kicker

Vanderjagt’s criticism of Dungy and the offense (never going to win) was the impetus of Manning calling him that and after that game we replaced him with Vinatieri and won the SB without him. 

1 hour ago, rich homie said:

The Colts were 16-0 in the games they actually tried to win that season coming into the Super Bowl. Not sure that applies.

At the time, nobody thought they were nearly as good as their record. It’s the main reason Peyton won MVP according to his supporters (I thought Brees deserved) - Colts were seen as a good team that won a lot of close games because of Manning.  That’s why despite their record, they weren’t as feared or respected as the 07 Patriots. I’d argue the 2015 Panthers, a team a lot of people here considered “weak,” to have been a more dominant team than the Colts.

Vikings/Colts might have been a toss-up but I had little doubt that the Saints were a better overall team

EDIT - Further proving my point: Colts were 5th in point differential... in the AFC. Worse than 2 9-7 teams in the AFC. That team simply wasn’t 16-0 good. Peyton was clutch as hell though.

Edited by iknowcool

23 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

At the time, nobody thought they were nearly as good as their record. It’s the main reason Peyton won MVP according to his supporters (I thought Brees deserved) - Colts were seen as a good team that won a lot of close games because of Manning.  That’s why despite their record, they weren’t as feared or respected as the 07 Patriots. I’d argue the 2015 Panthers, a team a lot of people here considered “weak,” to have been a more dominant team than the Colts.

Vikings/Colts might have been a toss-up but I had little doubt that the Saints were a better overall team

EDIT - Further proving my point: Colts were 5th in point differential... in the AFC. Worse than 2 9-7 teams in the AFC. That team simply wasn’t 16-0 good. Peyton was clutch as hell though.

Sure, it's true that the Colts weren't as good as their record might have suggested, but the idea that the Super Bowl was a foregone conclusion is ridiculous, even with hindsight. It was still a one possession game until the late pick six with about three minutes left. A few different bounces and the Colts could have easily won that game, just as they also could have against Minnesota.

Just now, rich homie said:

Sure, it's true that the Colts weren't as good as their record might have suggested, but the idea that the Super Bowl was a foregone conclusion is ridiculous, even with hindsight. It was still a one possession game until the late pick six with about three minutes left. A few different bounces and the Colts could have easily won that game, just as they also could have against Minnesota.

When did I say it was a foregone conclusion? I said I thought whoever won Saints/Vikings would win Super Bowl.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, FinSting said:

Every NFC Championship game from 1985 to 1996. 

Pretty much. I'm not sure 1984 doesn't qualify also. That Bears team already was brutally physical and really battered the 49ers during stretches of that game, despite the final score. It was already obvious what they would have become

1984 Dolphins vs 1984 Bears would have been the greatest stylistic contrast in Super Bowl history. I know conventional wisdom will give it to Miami, partially based on the Monday Night game from 1985. I think Chicago would have dominated the physical aspect of the game and pulled the big upset. When the gap in the trenches and hitting ability is that vast, everything tends to avalanche in that direction including turnovers and big plays. Miami was very, very soft at the end of 1984. They stopped running the ball during the loss at San Diego and never resumed. 

Those years were awesome to be in Las Vegas becauseI  you could plan your year around winning big on the NFC in the Super Bowl. They didn't always cover the spread, like 49ers vs. Bengals, but that didn't matter because the money lines (straight up odds) were always ridiculous. I mean ridiculous. Squares would flood the town and be convinced this was the year the AFC would end the streak. Consequently the money lines would be pounded to such low favoritism it was surreal. The money lines didn't resemble the pointspread at all. We'd always be trying to guess how low it would drop. Especially when the trend began we'd grab it too soon because we couldn't believe the public would be stupid enough to hammer it even lower...but they would.

Eventually the formula was clear cut: Late Saturday night was best, specifically the wee hours. That's when some drunks would play AFC on the money line and not care what price they were getting. I would stay up all night and grab some amazing numbers. I could play them for higher than I needed because the money line would rise on game day itself, setting up scalp (betting both sides for guaranteed profit) opportunity.