Jaguars to hire Urban Meyer as HC

.Buzz

Well just be sure you have someone on the staff ready to take over after his "heart acts up" in 2 years or whatever excuse he'll use to get out of coaching again.

Not sure why an NFL franchise would want to hire someone so flakey who has 0 NFL success at any position on their resume.

There's several great NFL offensive minds the Jags could pick from to pair with Lawrence, and while I hope for my sake you do make the massive blunder of hiring Meyer, I hope for your sake this report is bogus.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned how his offense will find success in the NFL vs college and without a clear  talent advantage over every defense they face.

But he probably is the biggest name among all potential hires and going to be the most discerning over where he went. This is the *biggest* coaching hire we could have made.

Let’s just hope that we get an actual good GM and coordinators to pair with him. 

19 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Well just be sure you have someone on the staff ready to take over after his "heart acts up" in 2 years or whatever excuse he'll use to get out of coaching again.

Not sure why an NFL franchise would want to hire someone so flakey who has 0 NFL success at any position on their resume.

There's several great NFL offensive minds the Jags could pick from to pair with Lawrence, and while I hope for my sake you do make the massive blunder of hiring Meyer, I hope for your sake this report is bogus.

A bright coordinator is just as risky, if not more so. Guys like Daboll, Joe Brady, etc. have never commanded a locker room. Calling plays/being a successful coordinator doesn't mean they are any more likely to pan out.

He's won everywhere he's been. Built programs up with vision. Say what you want about the person is, but he wins.

His stays at Florida and OSU were 6-7 years. If that ends up happening, so be it as long as he can turn it around in the immediate and get this organization on track.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

A bright coordinator is just as risky, if not more so. Guys like Daboll, Joe Brady, etc. have never commanded a locker room. Calling plays/being a successful coordinator doesn't mean they are any more likely to pan out.

He's won everywhere he's been. Built programs up with vision. Say what you want about the person is, but he wins.

His stays at Florida and OSU were 6-7 years. If that ends up happening, so be it as long as he can turn it around in the immediate and get this organization on track.

Hiring someone with NFL success/experience is no where near as risky as hiring a guy who has never even coached in the NFL, much less had success at that level.

Pat McAfee was talking about it on his show the other day, the way coaches have to talk with and deal with players differs extremely at the two levels. It's why(according to him) so few have ever made the transition successfully. And the one recent example everyone brings up is Pete Carroll, who was an NFL coach with a bit of success before he ever went to USC.

10 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Hiring someone with NFL success/experience is no where near as risky as hiring a guy who has never even coached in the NFL, much less had success at that level.

Pat McAfee was talking about it on his show the other day, the way coaches have to talk with and deal with players differs extremely at the two levels. It's why(according to him) so few have ever made the transition successfully. And the one recent example everyone brings up is Pete Carroll, who was an NFL coach with a bit of success before he ever went to USC.

Urban Meyer has also ran programs as a HC for 20+ years, has countless former players/agent/GM involvement because of said successful programs making their way to the NFL, and good friends/has reached out to tons of coaches at the NFL level including Belichek and likely surrounds himself with plenty of coaches on his staff with experience. I've read he's been planning and reaching out to people in the league for two years expecting to make the jump.

As I said, there's risk. But there's also a lot less coaches making that jump than there is coordinators getting shots every year. I definitely think a coordinator with no HC experience prior at any level to step into that role at the biggest stage is a monumental risk itself. We're also not talking about any coach here, we're talking about one of the better college HCs in the past however many years.

This has big upside and with Lawrence in the fold, likely a fairly decent floor.

Just now, Counselor said:

Oh bother

think winnie the pooh GIF

Wouldn't shock me if Herman is on in some capacity after being let go at Texas. As I said, I expect a few former HCs to be in the fold as well. He's going to want experience on the staff.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You should hire Ryan Day instead

I'd have worries about Lawrence/Fields until draft day or we announce it's Lawrence.

But I can't argue the take. I like Day the coach. But I'm also A-Ok with rolling the dice on Meyer.