Jaguars to hire Urban Meyer as HC

.Buzz

Could be a great hire if they get Urban Meyer.  Curious if Ryan Day will come along with Urban or Ryan Day will be a HC somewhere else which he really should be in the NFL.  If Day does go with Urban Meyer, do they then draft Fields over Lawrence?  I assume not but who knows.  

Chargers
Jaguars
Texans
Falcons
Jets
Lions

There are tons of jobs out there, not a ton of quality coaches out there to fill them, thus Urban Meyer.  Robert Saleh could be interesting but it almost seems a must in the NFL of today to hire a offensive guy.  Eric Bieniemy would be great if he got a shot at it, but seriously he has arguably the best receiver, tight end and QB in the game, no **** the offense on the Chiefs is good, especially when the foundation is built by Andy Reid.  So not sure how much of that Chiefs success is actually him, and Brian Daboll is another, he has Josh Allen, Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Brown etc offensively, that is why they are good not so much Daboll as the coach.  

I would not be surprised if Lane Kiffin gets some NFL looks, with how good they were offensively and his offensive mind which again is all the rage and all anyone seems to care about these days.  

Edited by Ozzy

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Curious if Ryan Day will come along with Urban

Zero chance. 

He’s not turning down possibly the best and most stable HC gig in college football to be an OC. If he leaves, it’s to be an NFL HC.

HOWEVER, Urban might want some of his assistants and he might be waiting until after the national championship to hire them.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Could be a great hire if they get Urban Meyer.  Curious if Ryan Day will come along with Urban or Ryan Day will be a HC somewhere else which he really should be in the NFL.  If Day does go with Urban Meyer, do they then draft Fields over Lawrence?  I assume not but who knows.  

Day has already said he has no desire to move to the NFL this year.

And Shad’s whole “I am maintaining final say on roster control” thing is basically a safeguard against this. They’re not drafting anyone but Trevor and anyone who isn’t on board with that isn’t getting hired. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Zero chance. 

He’s not turning down possibly the best and most stable HC gig in college football to be an OC. If he leaves, it’s to be an NFL HC.

HOWEVER, Urban might want some of his assistants and he might be waiting until after the national championship to hire them.

Very true, I agree he could easily be a HC in the NFL and it is just a matter of time.  Possibly he would not want to be a OC in the NFL, who knows.  And I disagree about the best HC gig in college football, it is one of them no question though for sure.  Curious who they would hire if Day goes.  I guess Larry Johnson maybe but possibly he wants nothing to do with being a HC.  Kevin Wilson maybe or Greg Mattison but I doubt he would do that, Wilson possibly.  

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Day has already said he has no desire to move to the NFL this year.

And Shad’s whole “I am maintaining final say on roster control” thing is basically a safeguard against this. They’re not drafting anyone but Trevor and anyone who isn’t on board with that isn’t getting hired. 

Yeah and Urban Meyer said he was never going to coach again because of health reasons and instead spend time with his family after the Florida job right?  Obviously that was not true and he went to Ohio State after a little time off.  In terms of Shad, I cannot speak to that but either way Lawrence I agree will be the pick, but would be curious if there are Ohio State coaches hired from this years team and what they then say about the pick then.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Curious who they would hire if Day goes.  I guess Larry Johnson maybe but possibly he wants nothing to do with being a HC.  Kevin Wilson maybe or Greg Mattison but I doubt he would do that, Wilson possibly.  

Somebody unexpected 

Because that’s what happened when he hired Ryan Day and Jim Tressel.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah and Urban Meyer said he was never going to coach again because of health reasons and instead spend time with his family after the Florida job right?  Obviously that was not true and he went to Ohio State after a little time off.  In terms of Shad, I cannot speak to that but either way Lawrence I agree will be the pick, but would be curious if there are Ohio State coaches hired from this years team and what they then say about the pick then.  

A guy getting the itch to coach two years later and a guy going back on his word two weeks later are a lot different. Ryan Day was getting offers to interview for head coaching gigs and turned them down. He isn’t going to jump ship for an OC job when he wouldn’t even take an interview for a head coach opening. 

And it won’t matter what those coaches say about the pick. Shad isn’t retaining roster control just to relinquish it on the exact move he’s already made it clear he’s locked in for. 

The entire reason Shad is *retaining roster control* is that he was sick and tired of our coaches and front office playing favorites and making dumb moves around super stars. He’s not going to just immediately turn around and let a staff play favorites again with a prospect that is universally viewed as worse. 

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Somebody unexpected 

Because that’s what happened when he hired Ryan Day and Jim Tressel.

Ryan Day was a GA under Urban Meyer at Florida, so clearly Urban knew him and what Day did under Chip Kelly in the NFL, that got attention, then again he was the co offensive coordinator that 1st year with Kevin Wilson under Meyer so they did know him well and he was the HC in waiting most likely.  Ryan Day was also with Steve Addazio who was at Florida with Urban Meyer, then went to Temple and then BC as the HC and took Day both times.  

So Urban has his hands over Ryan Day and a lot of opportunities he had.  Still I would be shocked if he is not a HC in the NFL this year or next year.  

20 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

And Dilla said he expected an announcement between today and Monday, I believe 👀

With the national championship Monday/him working at FOX I wonder if it'd be after that...

I could see him letting Shad know asap though. Just the official announcement.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

With the national championship Monday/him working at FOX I wonder if it'd be after that...

I could see him letting Shad know asap though. Just the official announcement.

I have a feeling that might be playing a role

Granted, if Urban tells Khan he's in, I imagine he'll also tell his......uh, loose lipped staff lol

21 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

I have a feeling that might be playing a role

Granted, if Urban tells Khan he's in, I imagine he'll also tell his......uh, loose lipped staff lol

Breer's buddies with Urban so I feel like either him or Dilla will catch wind regardless but that's another aspect of it lol.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

The entire reason Shad is *retaining roster control* is that he was sick and tired of our coaches and front office playing favorites and making dumb moves around super stars. He’s not going to just immediately turn around and let a staff play favorites again with a prospect that is universally viewed as worse. 

So who is the GM then?  The freaking owner?  Of course coaches are going to have favorites and opinions, dumb moves sure but doubt he could do any better.  To me CJ Henderson was a miss, he should not have been picked that high, Taven Bryan was a back pick and was just projected as some Aaron Donald type and is obviously not.  Fournette is hard to argue with, he did some good things but the NFL has changed and that tough run game might not win like it used to.  Clearly they won with D and a power run game, not going that way anymore but Trevor Lawrence is a great way to start.  

Still the Jaguars need to look into what the Bills are doing with Josh Allen.  Allen has a better arm and is probably a little more athletic than Trevor Lawrence but they are very similar and Trevor is a damn good athlete who can move around the pocket and does not have as strong of an arm as Allen but it is close.  They might need to add one more receiver to the mix but basically the Bills just go 4 wide and let Josh scramble and if nothing is there is just runs.  Helps having Diggs, Beasley, Davis and Brown but that is basically the offense for the Bills and how do you stop that.  

Jaguars will most likely do the same thing with Lawrence or at least should.  They got Chark and Shenault then Collin Johnson who did some things as a big receiver, need some more speed though.  I am not a huge fan of Cole or Conley but they provide a little speed, still if they get a guy like 

If they get guys like Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Kadarius Toney, Chris Olave they could be hell to deal with with their slot ability and quickness.  Even guys like Ihmir Smith-Marsette,Tutu Atwell or Mike Harley could help them get that deep speed option, especially with Harley.  They could easily do that with 2 first round picks.  They do have Dede who can fly but not sure they bring him back obviously and sign him again.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

So who is the GM then?  The freaking owner? 

The GM is who the GM ends up being. But Shad will have the ability to put his foot down when needed, like if the coach was considering not drafting a generational QB, or if the GM tells an All Pro to pound sand when he comes asking for a contract extension and then alienates half the roster.