Report: Lions to go after Seahawks GM John Schneider

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  A GM who hates first round picks and doesn't care about premium positions and has been able to have a team that is relentlessly average in spite of good defenses and an elite QB for 8 years now.

Would love it. 

Seattle is relentlessly average? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  A GM who hates first round picks and doesn't care about premium positions and has been able to have a team that is relentlessly average in spite of good defenses and an elite QB for 8 years now.

Would love it. 

lol

When you're a GM with guys like Carroll, Reid, etc. I don't think the drafts they've had lay squarely on the GM. They're likely pushing their weight around during draft time/have their guys that fit what they want.

So I'm not sure I'd pin the ehh drafting the last several years since Pete won a SB all on Schneider.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Seattle is relentlessly average? 

For their defenses and having an elite QB? 

Yes, I would call that relentlessly average.

Don't start this argument because you are wrong. 

Schneider is a terrible GM.

He is the least responsible GM in probably league history with first round picks.  Absolutely terrible.  Just embarrassingly bad. 

And the Seahawks have won 5 playoff games since their Super Bowl win in spite of Russell Wilson not missing a single game (I think that's accurate).

It's like Schneider just went full idiot. 

Okay, so he builds a Super Bowl winning team by drafting Okung 6th overall.  Elite pick. 
Next year he drafts James Carpenter.  Elite pick.  Drafted as a tackle, didn't work out, turned into a top guard. 
Year after, Bruce Irvin.  Good pick. 

Then at the start of his Super Bowl run he turns into a complete moron.  They trade a first round pick for a receiver who had never had a double digit TD season, never had a 1000 yard season, had just missed 8 games due to "migraines," whom everyone knew was a problem.  He was such a problem that, in spite of just having traded a first round pick for him, the Seahawks kept him for only 5 regular season games the following year. 

So they didn't have a first round pick the year after they won the Super Bowl.  Fine.
But then the next year they traded out of the first round.
Then they traded their GOOD starting center AND their first round pick for Jimmy Graham.
Then they traded down in the first round to select a guard.
Then they traded down in the first round only to trade out of the first round.
Then they traded down in the first round (Thank you Seattle for trading out of the slot that gave the Packers BAMF Jaire Alexander) and took a RB.
Then they traded down in the first round (Thank you Seattle for trading out of the slot that gave the Packers BAMF Darnell Savage) down to 27th. 

Last year was the first year since Bruce Irvin that the Seahawks didn't trade down in the first round or completely out of it.  They drafted an off ball linebacker with that pick. 

Schneider has consistently dumped pick after pick, contract after contract into his offensive line and his offensive line has consistently been terrible. 

Now, the Seahawks won't have a first round pick for two more years and they're paying a safety elite money.  Possibly EDGE money, but more likely cornerback money to a safety on top of two first round picks. 

• Like 3

Please do! 
He's been awful with drafting recently (I'm still salty about picking Penny over Chubb a few years back).
He hasn't been very good with FA and only decent on a couple of trades. 
This year they finally fixed the OL but the defense is really vanilla. 
As others have said, Seahawks are really underachieving since the SB loss in 2014. With a healthy Wilson almost every year they should do better than that. 
Let's go Lions, trade us your FRP for Schneider, pretty please!

I want him to stay in Seattle. He did a good job building up Seattle, but has been awful since. That talent he got on that team right away was a stroke of luck and genius and the 2012-2015 Seahawks are a historically elite team that could have turned into Patriots level dominance if he had done better. But it's difficult to maintain success, so I prefer to keep him on a "good" Seattle team w/ less draft capital. Not that Detroit is Jacksonville or anything draft capital-wise, but still, don't want him re-invigorated w/ a division rival. Keep him complacent and underwhelming in Seattle.

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't start this argument because you are wrong

Do we need another example of how my understanding of this sport is supreme to yours? I have more interesting things to do with my Sunday, but I am sure I can fit you into my schedule.

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He is the least responsible GM in probably league history with first round picks. 

I'm going to stop you right here, because everything you wrote after this - literally everything - is based on an incredibly flawed premise:

GMs are not the sole decision maker on these decisions. Unless you're Bill Belicheck, Bill O'Brien or a HC who holds GM duties, you're not the sole decision maker on these selections.

So, we'll just strike that entire rant from the record, because it's a very flawed argument borne from ignorance on how this actually works. Those picks are more Pete Carroll than John Schneider, if we're being honest.

So, where does that leave us?

- Cap management, which has been above average in his tenure; Despite having one of the highest paid QBs in football, Seattle rarely has cap issues.

- Player retention; He's not overpaying guys such as Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, guys looking for 2nd or 3rd contracts. He's choosing to spend that money on guys like Bobby Wagner and Tyler Lockett, undervalued guys who contribute more than their bigger named counterparts.

- Trades; You knock the Jamal Adams trade, but ignore the trade for Duane Brown in 2017. Acquiring an elite LT for a 3rd round pick and a future 2nd round pick is a much better example to rely on to figure out what a GM can do.

So, all things considered - Seattle had been a pretty above average team in the Schneider era, and his actual moves are pretty well established overall.

You may not want to see that, but us with no real dog in the fight see it for what it is.

• Like 4