Report: Lions to go after Seahawks GM John Schneider

Would be interesting to see Schneider get full GM control and see what he can do.  Carroll has a lot of say in personnel decisions based on most accounts. 

He got his foot in the door in GB (helps having some connections) and worked his way up the food chain in a rather impressive manner.  

Having an elite 35 year old left tackle and still having a crappy offensive line with virtually zero draft capital to fix it next year is not my definition of a good GM, @ET80.

Over the next two years, the Seahawks have:

Duane Brown will be 36 and 37 years old.

Elite 35 year old left tackle means **** all when the rest of your line is bottom 5 in the league.

The Seahawks are very strong at ILB and WR.  I’ll give Schneider credit for being strong at the least important position on offense and on defense.

Two elite receivers and Wilson has 6 less touchdowns, 8 more interceptions while Rodgers missed Adams for three games, Lazard for 5.

He’s a terrible GM.  Who doesn’t get that if you’re paying your QB that money, the two things you can’t neglect are draft picks and protection.

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Having an elite 35 year old left tackle and still having a crappy offensive line with virtually zero draft capital to fix it next year is not my definition of a good GM, @ET80.

So, you're judging him on a single unit? That's... A bit short sighted.

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The Seahawks are very strong at ILB and WR.  I’ll give Schneider credit for being strong at the least important position on offense and on defense.

I've read your past takes on these positions. It's a one dimensional take, one that I don't care to respond to because it would take more time for me to drill into it.

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Two elite receivers and Wilson has 6 less touchdowns, 8 more interceptions while Rodgers missed Adams for three games, Lazard for 5.

Relevance of this is...? Or is this just insecurity from a Packers fan?

Legit curious on this one, please respond.

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He’s a terrible GM.  Who doesn’t get that if you’re paying your QB that money, the two things you can’t neglect are draft picks and protection.

One dimensional take. If you have a QB who can't evade pressure and not create passing lanes on your own, then yes - protection is a requirement you can't skimp on.

That's a dimension you're not factoring into this particular take - what sort of QB you have in your lineup. The Seahawks haven't had a strong OL in Russell Wilson's time in Seattle - has that hindered his performance in any capacity? 

Legit curious on your take here, please respond.

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Over the next two years, the Seahawks have:

Duane Brown will be 36 and 37 years old.

Elite 35 year old left tackle means **** all when the rest of your line is bottom 5 in the league.

You are hanging an entire roster on the GM when everyone knows Pete Carroll runs the team, which is how the Lions could talk to Schneider to begin with. 

As for the old OL, Lions have 24 yr old pro bowl C Frank Ragnow, Rookie Guard Jonah Jackson, 27 yr old LT Taylor Decker, rookie Guard Logan Stenberg, 25 yr old T Tyrell Crosby and 27 yr old G/T Halapoulivaati Vaitai. Their right side of their OL needs tweaking (like playing Stenberg at RG), but they have a fairly young OL that grades out pretty well this year under 1st year OL coach Hank Fraley. 

If (and it's a massive IF) the Lions were able to talk to and sign John Schneider, some of the complaints you seem to have (aging OL for example) are a moot point. 

The offense (if keeping Bevell) would alot benefit due to having Schneider/Bevell reunited and having continuity for the offensive pieces already in place. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

For their defenses and having an elite QB? 

Yes, I would call that relentlessly average.

In what world has Seattle had a good defense for the past 3 years? During that time frame, they've averaged 11 wins and made the playoffs each year.

The year they missed the playoffs (finishing 9-7), their defense was also outside of the top 10 in every metric possible. They haven't had a top-10 defense since 2016, when they finished 10-5. During the time from 2012 - 2016, they averaged 11 wins, made 2 Superbowls, won 1 of them and came within a yard of winning another.

But sure, I guess that's "relentlessly average".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Do we need another example of how my understanding of this sport is supreme to yours? I have more interesting things to do with my Sunday, but I am sure I can fit you into my schedule.

I'm going to stop you right here, because everything you wrote after this - literally everything - is based on an incredibly flawed premise:

GMs are not the sole decision maker on these decisions. Unless you're Bill Belicheck, Bill O'Brien or a HC who holds GM duties, you're not the sole decision maker on these selections.

So, we'll just strike that entire rant from the record, because it's a very flawed argument borne from ignorance on how this actually works. Those picks are more Pete Carroll than John Schneider, if we're being honest.

So, where does that leave us?

- Cap management, which has been above average in his tenure; Despite having one of the highest paid QBs in football, Seattle rarely has cap issues.

- Player retention; He's not overpaying guys such as Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, guys looking for 2nd or 3rd contracts. He's choosing to spend that money on guys like Bobby Wagner and Tyler Lockett, undervalued guys who contribute more than their bigger named counterparts.

- Trades; You knock the Jamal Adams trade, but ignore the trade for Duane Brown in 2017. Acquiring an elite LT for a 3rd round pick and a future 2nd round pick is a much better example to rely on to figure out what a GM can do.

So, all things considered - Seattle had been a pretty above average team in the Schneider era, and his actual moves are pretty well established overall.

You may not want to see that, but us with no real dog in the fight see it for what it is.

Such a good post that I read it three times.

• Like 2

I love how having the title of GM but not having personnel control is considered lower than being a GM with personnel control, but being an offensive line coach to offensive coordinator is seen as a lateral move. NFL could stand to do some clean up on some of these archaic rules. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Having an elite 35 year old left tackle and still having a crappy offensive line with virtually zero draft capital to fix it next year is not my definition of a good GM

I didn't realize Duane Brown was that old...

Dont really understand how Schneider can be overrated, if he is never in the discussion for top GM's in the NFL. 

In his 11 years as GM, Seattle 9 playoff berths, 5 NFC West Titles, 2 NFC Conference Titles and Super Bowl Title. Yet, you would be hard pressed to find anyone placing him in the top 5, let alone top 8 GMs in the NFL. Mostly steams from "muh 1st round picks" or whatever.

In the post LOB era [RIP 2017], Seattle's soft rebuild has resulted in 10-6, 11-5, 11-4 records. Wilson-Wagner-KJ are the only pieces left from the 2013-2014 teams. The current team is almost entirely built from Pete & John's draft picks, trades, and wavier wire poaching from the last 5 years. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Do we need another example of how my understanding of this sport is supreme to yours? I have more interesting things to do with my Sunday, but I am sure I can fit you into my schedule.

I'm going to stop you right here, because everything you wrote after this - literally everything - is based on an incredibly flawed premise:

GMs are not the sole decision maker on these decisions. Unless you're Bill Belicheck, Bill O'Brien or a HC who holds GM duties, you're not the sole decision maker on these selections.

So, we'll just strike that entire rant from the record, because it's a very flawed argument borne from ignorance on how this actually works. Those picks are more Pete Carroll than John Schneider, if we're being honest.

So, where does that leave us?

- Cap management, which has been above average in his tenure; Despite having one of the highest paid QBs in football, Seattle rarely has cap issues.

- Player retention; He's not overpaying guys such as Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, guys looking for 2nd or 3rd contracts. He's choosing to spend that money on guys like Bobby Wagner and Tyler Lockett, undervalued guys who contribute more than their bigger named counterparts.

- Trades; You knock the Jamal Adams trade, but ignore the trade for Duane Brown in 2017. Acquiring an elite LT for a 3rd round pick and a future 2nd round pick is a much better example to rely on to figure out what a GM can do.

So, all things considered - Seattle had been a pretty above average team in the Schneider era, and his actual moves are pretty well established overall.

You may not want to see that, but us with no real dog in the fight see it for what it is.

wrestling satisfying GIF

ET ducked that swing and said

• Like 1