Report: Lions to go after Seahawks GM John Schneider

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I love how having the title of GM but not having personnel control is considered lower than being a GM with personnel control, but being an offensive line coach to offensive coordinator is seen as a lateral move. NFL could stand to do some clean up on some of these archaic rules. 

O-line coach to offensive coordinator with playcalling isn't a lateral move anymore if i remember correctly.

• Like 1

Why would John Schneider even consider the job at the Lions?  If I were him and could hitch my career to Wilson and continue to ride the high of having been the guy that took him that's the route I'd want. Unless Schneider severely disagreed with Pete Carroll and hates his draft picks the roster is his baby. I guess rebuild the Lions is a way to say he built two teams to dominance, but it needs to work out that way for that legacy. Feels like it's not even worth taking the call imo. Maybe the Jags then you can be the guy that drafted Wilson and Lawrence, because there probably aren't many GMs that get that type of opportunity. Still seems weird to me, I always thought he and Pete were exceptionally close.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Why would John Schneider even consider the job at the Lions?  If I were him and could hitch my career to Wilson and continue to ride the high of having been the guy that took him that's the route I'd want. Unless Schneider severely disagreed with Pete Carroll and hates his draft picks the roster is his baby. I guess rebuild the Lions is a way to say he built two teams to dominance, but it needs to work out that way for that legacy. Feels like it's not even worth taking the call imo. Maybe the Jags then you can be the guy that drafted Wilson and Lawrence, because there probably aren't many GMs that get that type of opportunity. Still seems weird to me, I always thought he and Pete were exceptionally close.

i don't think Schneider has the control in Seattle.  Carroll is heavily involved in the personnel decisions, so the "credit" is not going to be fully with Schneider for building the team Seattle became.  

Going to Detroit would allow him to build something up that would be more exclusively his.  

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

i don't think Schneider has the control in Seattle.  Carroll is heavily involved in the personnel decisions, so the "credit" is not going to be fully with Schneider for building the team Seattle became.  

Going to Detroit would allow him to build something up that would be more exclusively his.  

Yeah. 

TBH, I hope John stays with Seattle, but I wouldnt blame him on moving on. Dont know what his goals are, but Id imagine some GM's would like a chance at building something new on a blank canvas. I mean in Seattle Pete sets the scheme. John is pooling players that fit that particular scheme. In Detroit, John could choose the coach, and the scheme, allowing for John to begin building something more in line with HIS ideas.