Carson Wentz healthy scratch, requests trade

biggie.

8 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

His contract is not bad at all for the team receiving him. In fact it’s a huge bargain, $98M over 4 years I believe, considering you only trade for him if you think his 2020 was a fluke and he’s still franchise QB material. If there’s interest in Carson the player, the contract is really a non-issue here (for the team getting him anyway, big headache for us).

Correct. The biggest stumbling point for a team acquiring him is the 15 million early vesting on 2022. Carson has to void that before any team starts talking about this seriously. Nobody will want to be stuck to him for 2 years given this season.

Side note, important to note that next year's base is actually much lower than listed. A team will most likely get about 11 million back in cap space for it in 2022

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

If I'm the Colts, I'm offering an "Osweiler" for Wentz - give me Wentz at 100% of his contract value AND a 3rd round pick for a 5th.

The Eagles really have no viable option on this. That contract is an albatross, and nobody is trading for Wentz based on his recent performance and injury history.

Given the size of that contract, I would think at least a 2nd. And as low a pick back as possible.

24 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Given the size of that contract, I would think at least a 2nd. And as low a pick back as possible.

But the contract is awesome for a team trading for him. Especially if he voids the 2022 guarantee to facilitate a trade. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

But the contract is awesome for a team trading for him. Especially if he voids the 2022 guarantee to facilitate a trade. 

why would Wentz void the guarantee part of the contract?   aside from helping to possibly facilitate a trade.

Just now, squire12 said:

why would Wentz void the guarantee part of the contract?   aside from helping to possibly facilitate a trade.

It's only to help facilitate the trade. If he wants to start, that's what is going to have to happen. I wouldn't do anything more than that if I were him (I wouldn't lower my salaries or anything), but he's going to have to remove that early vesting. Nobody is going to take him if they are stuck with him for 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's only to help facilitate the trade. If he wants to start, that's what is going to have to happen. I wouldn't do anything more than that if I were him (I wouldn't lower my salaries or anything), but he's going to have to remove that early vesting. Nobody is going to take him if they are stuck with him for 2 years. 

so the contract is not that great then.   

I just don't see why the player gives up part of the guaranteed money.  

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

so the contract is not that great then.   

I just don't see why the player gives up part of the guaranteed money.  

The contract is great because he's not going to get traded with that guarantee in play. That early vesting is 100% going to go. He gives it up because he wants to be traded. He won't get traded without it gone and he's also said that he's willing to facilitate a trade. 

“Carson Wentz, his relationship with the Eagles is all but fractured. In fact, it is fractured,” Mortensen said (h/t Matt Mullin from PhillyVoice). “Wentz is expected to ask the Eagles for a trade. He’ll help the Eagles to facilitate a trade. The reaction of Jeffrey Lurie, the owner, will be vital to this one. But right now, Wentz clearly wants out of Philadelphia and a fresh start somewhere else. That will be a big story in the offseason.”

What he's going to do to facilitate a trade is going to be work around that early vesting of his 2022 salary. It may just be pushing that back to vest in 2022 rather than 2021, but that's going to be the sticking point. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The contract is great because he's not going to get traded with that guarantee in play. That early vesting is 100% going to go. He gives it up because he wants to be traded. He won't get traded without it gone and he's also said that he's willing to facilitate a trade. 

What he's going to do to facilitate a trade is going to be work around that early vesting of his 2022 salary. It may just be pushing that back to vest in 2022 rather than 2021, but that's going to be the sticking point. 

So why wouldn't Wentz just wait to get released and then be able to sign where he wants to for a possible starting job?

Other than facilitating a trade, what does it benefit to give up guaranteed money?

Does he stand to get less money by being cut vs voiding the guaranteed part of the contract?

Just now, squire12 said:

So why wouldn't Wentz just wait to get released and then be able to sign where he wants to for a possible starting job?

Other than facilitating a trade, what does it benefit to give up guaranteed money?

Does he stand to get less money by being cut vs voiding the guaranteed part of the contract?

Because he'd have to wait to be released in 2023. He'd get to collect a lot of money, but they aren't releasing him until 2023 because he costs more to release the next two years. So he'd sit on Philly's bench in 2021 and 2022. 

He could potentially lose that 15 million in 2022, so he does need to decide between playing and that 15 million. If he removes the early vesting for 2022 on that 15 million, a team could cut him after 2021 and he'd lose that money. But he could also play well and there would be no change. I wouldn't lower any salaries if I were him. 

Basically, he's going to have to choose between playing and potentially losing 15 million dollars.