Carson Wentz healthy scratch, requests trade

biggie.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Look at Big Ben's start to his career. Look at Wentz's. People are way too quick to write QBs off.

Depends on the situation. I get why people would want to take another crack at Wentz because he actually has a history, but I'm pretty quick in firing out decisions (little easier for me, but I can't help that). I don't want Wentz because I really dislike what I'm hearing about him mentally, tbh. Maybe there's nothing to all the reports, but just a lot of smoke. 

I've already said in the niner forum that I could understand Kyle going that route and dumping Jimmy, though I wouldn't expect it (particularly if Wentz actually costs a reasonable asset), but my fascination in this entire mess is actually just around the contract and the trade compensation. 

I said they should have traded him BEFORE they re-signed him and I was called an idiot.
I said the Rams should have traded Goff before they re-signed him and I was called an idiot.

There are like 3 quarterbacks in the league at any given time that should ever be re-signed at market value for a QB. 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, jrry32 said:

Look at Big Ben's start to his career. Look at Wentz's. People are way too quick to write QBs off.

Ben went undefeated in his rookie season and reached the AFC Championship. He won a Super Bowl the following season. He had a crappy 2006 due to his motorcycle wreck, but rebounded in 2007 and won his second Super Bowl in 2008.

In practically the same amount of time, Wentz regressed each year and has never even finished a playoff game.

The two cannot be compared.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 4

So is he being called a crybaby like Cutler yet? He has his contract already so ya, cry me a river, you sucked your *** off and got benched. Cutler was not benched in his sanario, just knew to run from that clown they hired as HC that through the years walked on a diffrent team.

Edited by DABEARSLCF04

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

Ben went undefeated in his rookie season and reached the AFC Championship. He won a Super Bowl the following season. He had a crappy 2006 due to his motorcycle wreck, but rebounded in 2007 before winning his second Super Bowl in 2008.

In practically the same amoubt of time, Wentz regressed each year and has never finished a playoff game.

The two cannot be compared.

Despite your insistences otherwise, the two can very much be compared. Ben was very good in his first two years, god awful in his third, great in his fourth, and bad in his fifth year. Wentz would likely have been the NFL MVP in 2017 if not for his injury. He was very good in 2018 and pretty good last year. This is first year since his rookie year that he hasn't performed. The fact that people are writing the guy off after one bad year shows how rash and irrational people can be. Look at that, I just compared Ben and Wentz.

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I said they should have traded him BEFORE they re-signed him and I was called an idiot.
I said the Rams should have traded Goff before they re-signed him and I was called an idiot.

There are like 3 quarterbacks in the league at any given time that should ever be re-signed at market value for a QB. 

Well, that's not surprising. The bold is a silly opinion.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Despite your insistences otherwise, the two can very much be compared. Ben was very good in his first two years, god awful in his third, great in his fourth, and bad in his fifth year. Wentz would likely have been the NFL MVP in 2017 if not for his injury. He was very good in 2018 and pretty good last year. This is first year since his rookie year that he hasn't performed. The fact that people are writing the guy off after one bad year shows how rash and irrational people can be. Look at that, I just compared Ben and Wentz.

...Except Ben was bad in 2006 because he, yknow, nearly freaking DIED in the offseason.

Wentz has been bad because his weaknesses (slow processing, mental weakness) have been exposed.

1 minute ago, biggie. said:

...Except Ben was bad in 2006 because he, yknow, nearly freaking DIED in the offseason.

Wentz has been bad because his weaknesses (slow processing, mental weakness) have been exposed.

Maybe Ben was bad in 2006 because he was playing bad football? But I'm glad you have excuses ready. What is the excuse for 2008? Wentz's processing ability sure seemed good enough in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Maybe, like Ben, he can overcome his "mental weakness."

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Maybe Ben was bad in 2006 because he was playing bad football? But I'm glad you have excuses ready. What is the excuse for 2008? Wentz's processing ability sure seemed good enough in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Maybe, like Ben, he can overcome his "mental weakness."

2008 when he spent most of the season playing injured yet won another Super Bowl?

Wentz's slow processing was actually pretty evident even in 2017, its just now Alshon Jeffrey has turned into a turtle.

Edited by biggie.

5 minutes ago, biggie. said:

2008 when he spent most of the season playing injured yet won another Super Bowl?

Wentz's slow processing was actually pretty evident even in 2017, its just now Alshon Jeffrey has turned into a turtle.

Fabulous. You have another excuse handy. Ben sucked in 2006 and sucked in 2008. The fact that he elevated his play in the playoffs in 2008 doesn't diminish his poor play in the regular season. I can make a million excuses for Wentz. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me. I think those writing him off are fools because a number of good to great QBs have had years like this. If he sucks next year, that would signal a big problem. But like Big Ben did during his career, something tells me that Wentz bounces back next year (especially if the Eagles trade him). Any other excuses you'd like to make?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

It doesn't fit the Wentz haters Agendas Jrry. Everything and anything remotely wrong with the 2020 Eagles was because of Carson Wentz. Just fall in line with the masses. 🍺

• Like 1

I think Wentz can 100% be salvaged, because otherwise you're faced w/ at least 1 of these 3 realities:

1. Carried by the Eagles talent along with Doug Pederson's scheme and playcalling and made to look good, as good as an MVP at one point, for 3 years. 
  2. Being hit too much in 2020, along with the previous injuries, to go along with the mental trauma of being benched by the rookie QB, truly broke his mind beyond repair. 
  3. Just kind of forgot how to play the QB position at a strong level. Stopped caring?

I don't see it with the 1st, although of these 3 that is certainly the most realistic possibility: a mirage all along! 2nd I think is just not something that would stick with a QB from year to year. Down to down (for the sacks), game to game (for backup situation)? Sure, but for rest of career? I doubt it. For 3, I just don't believe that is happening. You don't forget to play football, and he seems to practice as hard as everyone else. All the 2017-19 Wentz is still right there.

Make no mistake, he was awful in 2020, but he was great to good in the 3 prior years, and not all of those stretches of good play were with the "stacked" 2017 cast. Pre-2020, a Wentz scouting report would read along the lines of... Pros: cannon arm, hard to bring down due to size and mobility, great at extending plays, smart with the football, and rarely forces it. Cons: injury concerns, fumble problem, so-so accuracy: prone to missing simple throws, gets too fixated on TEs in middle of field and ends up gun shy.

I could see 2 markets for Wentz emerging:

Market 1: they aren't believing their eyes in this 2020 tape and essentially are going off that above scouting report. Maybe they see some damage done in 2020 that needs to be undone, which makes it a little bit of a project, but otherwise I do think you are essentially convincing yourself 2020 Wentz is a fluke, and are loving the opportunity to get a franchise QB at under market value who, worst comes to worst, you can easily cut.

Market 2: Need a QB but don't have draft capital for a top 2021 QB. Have determined the best value move is rolling the dice on a former all-pro QB in Wentz and undergoing a restoration project on him in 2021. Hoping it works out, but if not oh well. Darnold is another QB in this market.

Market 1 is the dream scenario for the Eagles and where you'd hope Reich and Colts emerge. That's when we could enter actual good compensation, especially if another team has interest.

Market 2 is the less desirable scenario, but one where there will be guaranteed suitors. This nets the Eagles maybe a mid round pick? Not good.

Part of me wants to see Wentz succeed so I can feel good about being right: aha! he was good afterall, we just screwed him up!... but I can only imagine how much it would sting week in and week out seeing him light it up for his team, have the fickle media fall in love with him all over again, while we're stuck with a crumbling franchise. It would be a lot of what-ifs put to bed in my mind if Wentz ends up in the perfect Indy situation and still just kinda sucks. Either way, I just want this clown shown over with.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1