Sign in to follow this  
johndeere1707

Eifert to IR

Well if this is the case, it may be the last we've seen from ol' 85. Hard to bring back someone who can never stay healthy. Kroft and Uzomah have played well in his absence. I'm sure we will look hard at TEs in next years draft. 

Edited by johndeere1707

He'll either be gone or signed pretty cheap. Hard to resign a guy you can't count on though. 

41 minutes ago, theJ said:

He'll either be gone or signed pretty cheap. Hard to resign a guy you can't count on though. 

I say just move on.. because even if he is cheap.. You count on that talent so much, yet he's never there and you can't really count on him... Just cut bait.

Really unfortunate as when he's healthy he's a hell of a tight end. Rough situation.

This is a double disaster.  Eifert being out, and most likely done hurts.

Knowing that the team had planned to re-sign both him and Burfict led to the decision that they couldn't afford to keep Whit and/or Zeitler as well.  So we lose three out of the four. 

13 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I say just move on.. because even if he is cheap.. You count on that talent so much, yet he's never there and you can't really count on him... Just cut bait.

I agree, i think.  Maybe one caveat.  If Kroft emerges as a good reliable TE this year, i think you can resign Eifert cheap as the #2 TE without counting on him too much.  Maybe he plays more subpackage roles, particularly in the red zone.  

That all depends on if they think his back is ever going to be healthy enough to play football again though.  Because so far, it would seem he can't even endure a moderate amount of usage.

On the plus side we didn't sign him to a contract extension.  I'm actually fine with Kroft + Uzomah going forward.  Use that money/draft pick on OL help...

39 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

On the plus side we didn't sign him to a contract extension.  I'm actually fine with Kroft + Uzomah going forward.  Use that money/draft pick on OL help...

could have given it to Whit....:(

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I agree, i think.  Maybe one caveat.  If Kroft emerges as a good reliable TE this year, i think you can resign Eifert cheap as the #2 TE without counting on him too much.  Maybe he plays more subpackage roles, particularly in the red zone.  

That all depends on if they think his back is ever going to be healthy enough to play football again though.  Because so far, it would seem he can't even endure a moderate amount of usage.

I mean maybe... and then when it's an awesome red zone package for 3/4 of the year... he's hurt in the end when we need him.

I'm not saying you're wrong though... it's just frustrating as a big fan of the guy

34 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

could have given it to Whit....:(

tbf, the tackles are slowly getting better.  Whit was always a 1 year (maybe 2 years top) stop-gap anyway if we re-resigned him.  The reps Ced and Fisher are getting (mixed in with Andre) are invaluable.  Hopefully by the end of the year we don't need to replace both our OTs as it seemed week 1.  The second Baltimore game and this upcoming Steeler game will be telling.

Hopkins and Boling, I'm good with at guard.  It's really the Center position that we need to upgrade.  Our tackles won't be the best in the NFL but I think a high-caliber center will go a long way to making our OLine go from bottom 3 to top 15-20...

That's all true.. but this team is pretty damn good everywhere except the o-line.. I am also fine with the guards and center is obviously the weakest part of the team...

I would have been fine with Whit taking snaps away, he is maybe a stop gap..but also one of the best tackles in the league and this team would already be leaps and bounds better if he was there.

oh well..that ship has sailed.. I agree that the tackle play has gotten better (couldn't have got any worse) and I hope this bye week just lets them watch film and see what they are getting better at.. You're also right about this next game being telling.. I am pumped for it... Hopefully the stealers are 3-3 when we play them.

The second Baltimore game is the last game of the year..they better know where their at before then or they really are lost (oh wait.. Marvin is the coach)....nevermind