Week 17 Jets @ Pats: It's Finally Over

KingOfNewYork

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

We are in a tough situation.  It seems the rookie HC and rookie QB doesn't work long term.  Many successful coaches got their QBs a year or two in, or the QB was already on the team.

Correct. The HC needs to establish their system and have the skills position pieces in place so those players, and the oline can help the rookie QB learn the new system instead of expecting a rookie QB to be able to learn the speed of the nfl and adapt to the talent jump while also learning a new system. It's why I'm pushing for signing a vet like Tyrod Taylor to compete with Darnold. I don't care who wins the battle, it just gives the New HC so options at QB while they prepare the roster for the next off season.

Just now, drew39k said:

Correct. The HC needs to establish their system and have the skills position pieces in place so those players, and the oline can help the rookie QB learn the new system instead of expecting a rookie QB to be able to learn the speed of the nfl and adapt to the talent jump while also learning a new system. It's why I'm pushing for signing a vet like Tyrod Taylor to compete with Darnold. I don't care who wins the battle, it just gives the New HC so options at QB while they prepare the roster for the next off season.

Darnold isn't our guy long term, I'd rather get a pick for him and sign a guy like Ryan or Stafford for 2 years.  But are there any prospects over the next year or two coming out? How can we pass up on Wilson or Fields if they go on to have good careers?

JD has his work cut out for him.

Darnold isn't our guy long term, I'd rather get a pick for him and sign a guy like Ryan or Stafford for 2 years.  But are there any prospects over the next year or two coming out? How can we pass up on Wilson or Fields if they go on to have good careers?

Why would Ryan or Stafford come into this situation?

Neither Ryan or Stafford are available to be signed. They would both need to be traded for and would likely cost more than you would get trading away Sam. I'm not interested in wasting draft picks on a stop gap.

You say how can we pass on Wilson or Fields if they go onto good careers. The same could be said for Sam... if you trade him for a 4th to Pittsburgh and he goes on to be a probowler while fields busts for us like Sam did isn't that the same issue? 

Just now, drew39k said:

Neither Ryan or Stafford are available to be signed. They would both need to be traded for and would likely cost more than you would get trading away Sam. I'm not interested in wasting draft picks on a stop gap.

You say how can we pass on Wilson or Fields if they go onto good careers. The same could be said for Sam... if you trade him for a 4th to Pittsburgh and he goes on to be a probowler while fields busts for us like Sam did isn't that the same issue? 

Sam is toast here.  There's no shot he revives his career here.  If he does it will be somewhere else.

Just now, drew39k said:

Thats the risk you run either way. If we keep Darnold and he continues to be trash while Wilson or Fields go on to be pro bowl/all pro Quarterbacks then guess what????

Difference Darnold has shown what he is, Wilson and Fields have not. Both are also better college Quarterbacks than Darnold was.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Thats the risk you run either way. If we keep Darnold and he continues to be trash while Wilson or Fields go on to be pro bowl/all pro Quarterbacks then guess what????

Difference Darnold has shown what he is, Wilson and Fields have not. Both are also better college Quarterbacks than Darnold was.

Risk mitigation.

You trade Sam and draft Fields/Wilson only to put the in the same situation risks Sam properly developing elsewhere while the rookie busts here. This option leaves your team completely screwed.

If you keep Sam and sign a vet and Sam sucks you are in position to draft a guy next year while also using the assets you didn't spend on Fields to build a better supporting cast for the new young QB the New HC also has the ability to fully implement and adapt his offense prior to the rookie getting here. This raises the chances of that QB not busting significantly. It's by far the less risky more proven path to properly rebuilding.

Your claim about Wilson and Fields being better prospects is also completely baseless. Darnold was arguably the best QB prospect since luck and was touted as such during the lead up to his draft.