Who should kick rocks? 2021

Humble_Beast

As far as what I'd do (cuts):
• Cut Tyrell Williams - Save $11.6M in cap space 

• Cut LaMarcus Joyner - Save $11.0M in cap space

• Restructure Mariota's deal, if he's not willing too then cut him - Save $10.7M in cap 

• Richie Incognito probably retires - Save $6.3M in cap space 

• Cut Gabe Jackson - Save $9.6M in cap space 

• Cut Jalen Richard - Save $3.5M in cap space

• Cut Jeff Heath - Save $3.1M in cap space 

As far as what I'd do (resignings/bring back)

• Bring back Trent Brown - He's only making $14M next season and there's no need to create another massive hole on the OL

• Resign Denzel Good - Slot him in as a starting OG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Maybe, but local best writers always like to create a buzz by spreading rumors for the team they are covering. This might be true, or could he fake news. Media is all about click bait and traffic. Just look at the espn talk shows....

Key has shown nothing in 3 years here and our pass rush has been terrible, his face mask penalty on Fitzpatrick that cost us the game was likely the nail in the coffin. 

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Why is everyone so content to give Trent a pass? 

Not giving him a pass but his cap hit drops from $21M to $14M and I'd prefer to not have to potentially replace 3 starters on the OL when we know how critical it is for Carr's success. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Key has shown nothing in 3 years here and our pass rush has been terrible, his face mask penalty on Fitzpatrick that cost us the game was likely the nail in the coffin. 

Does he even make a million? He’s not getting paid much, I see him as nothing more then competition. He’s better than the random cfl guys they bring in. I would bring back Takk and let them compete for the 4th/5th DE spot. Hopefully we bring in a stud DE in free agency 

DE: Free Agent, Nassib(stuck with him)

DE: Ferrell, Max (let them compete, cream rises up to the top) 

5th DE: Key/Takk/Chris Smith - let them compete for an end of the roster DL spot...

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

Does he even make a million? He’s not getting paid much, I see him as nothing more then competition. He’s better than the random cfl guys they bring in. I would bring back Takk and let them compete for the 4th/5th DE spot. Hopefully we bring in a stud DE in free agency 

I'm fine with letting him come to TC and compete for a roster spot but if he makes the team again it's a pretty big indicator that our edge group is nowhere close to where it needs to be. 

Doesn’t matter if Key cost a lot. You have to know when it’s time to just move on. Time to move on from him. 

Carl Nassib should be let go. You bit the bullet and admit your mistake. His release won’t be all dead money you do get a cap saving to less the hit. Do the right thing and let him go. 

I'm on board with all the usual suspects (Williams, Joyner, Mariota (could extend him but don't want him at his current salary), Jackson), but I would want to keep Brown. Also, as much love as he gets on this forum, I don't want to re-sign Agholor. He would be my emergency backup option if the Raiders miss out on a big name in free agency. And there are even guys in the mid-tier that I would prefer to Agholor (Davis, Jones). Agholor has been as good at getting behind defenses anyone while Carr has been there, but his hands are simply too much of a liability for him to be a key piece of the offense.

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

anyone think Joyner is a restructure candidate? He wasnt bad in '20, just a has a high cap number and '19 was really bad. Wouldnt mind him back at half the rate

He's only getting older and hasn't been impactful enough for me to want to bring him back/count on him to be a starter. 

I’ve been saying our OL needs a youth transformation for a while. Richie, and Gabe are likely gone. Richie is super old and Gabe is super overpaid and a pretty average guard to begin with. Brown is nothing but a problem and a headache. Hudson probably has two seasons left with us, as his play has declined too and he’s also getting very old. 

The line basically won’t be recognizable soon. We need to fill both Guard spots as early as this season, and we need to fill the RT spot. That’s 3 possible spots this season alone. We will need to replace Hudson 2022 or 2023. 

Only long term guy is Miller. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

As far as what I'd do (cuts):
• Cut Tyrell Williams - Save $11.6M in cap space 

• Cut LaMarcus Joyner - Save $11.0M in cap space

• Restructure Mariota's deal, if he's not willing too then cut him - Save $10.7M in cap 

• Richie Incognito probably retires - Save $6.3M in cap space 

• Cut Gabe Jackson - Save $9.6M in cap space 

• Cut Jalen Richard - Save $3.5M in cap space

• Cut Jeff Heath - Save $3.1M in cap space 

As far as what I'd do (resignings/bring back)

• Bring back Trent Brown - He's only making $14M next season and there's no need to create another massive hole on the OL

• Resign Denzel Good - Slot him in as a starting OG

This is the problem with fans mindset. It ALREADY is a hole. I’ll bet you anything you want right now Brown won’t play more than 12 games next season. And that’s a conservative estimate. He probably plays 8-11 games. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Doesn’t matter if Key cost a lot. You have to know when it’s time to just move on. Time to move on from him. 

Carl Nassib should be let go. You bit the bullet and admit your mistake. His release won’t be all dead money you do get a cap saving to less the hit. Do the right thing and let him go. 

Let them both play under the new DC. Dead cap on Nassib is high, you can cut him next year for nothing.

Key... I'd bet my bottom dollar he will be an 8+ sack guy once he leaves Vegas and gets with a real program. The Rams could get 8 sacks out of him easily. See what Fowler and Floyd have done in their system. Among other teams. He's talented, needs a teacher and the right role.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Let them both play under the new DC. Dead cap on Nassib is high, you can cut him next year for nothing.

Key... I'd bet my bottom dollar he will be an 8+ sack guy once he leaves Vegas and gets with a real program. The Rams could get 8 sacks out of him easily. See what Fowler and Floyd have done in their system. Among other teams. He's talented, needs a teacher and the right role.

Dead Cap/Cap Saving

$5,750,000
$3,750,000

Its not bad very doable. They made him a healthy scratch they know he is not good. They over paid. Know your mistakes and get out. 

That Arden Key thing is just funny. Key couldn't sack a QB to save his life. No matter who is coaching him. Thats just your fear of seeing other Raider players have success once leaving but we wouldn't have that issue with Key he would fall under the the Obi, Ward, Joseph category.

Raiders need a massive turnover at DE. Cant accept lack of sacks while keeping the same group around. 

28 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Dead Cap/Cap Saving

$5,750,000
$3,750,000

Its not bad very doable. They made him a healthy scratch they know he is not good. They over paid. Know your mistakes and get out. 

That Arden Key thing is just funny. Key couldn't sack a QB to save his life. No matter who is coaching him. Thats just your fear of seeing other Raider players have success once leaving but we wouldn't have that issue with Key he would fall under the the Obi, Ward, Joseph category.

Raiders need a massive turnover at DE. Cant accept lack of sacks while keeping the same group around. 

I'm usually the first to right off a terrible player (Obi being a prime example). Key had 1st 

I have no fear in seeing a Raider player excel elsewhere. I believe in what I saw at LSU. His role has been terrible since day 1. They forced him into a starting spot after trading Mack and expected the world. He's undersized and developed. 

I'm not saying he's a world beater... but in the right system and role, he'll get you 8 sacks as a pass rusher. I could be totally wrong, but I do believe he has talent. Good first step and can bend the edge. 

The biggest problem with Raider DEs... there is no DT pushing the pocket to keep QBs from stepping up. And the secondary can't cover for them to get home.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Not giving him a pass but his cap hit drops from $21M to $14M and I'd prefer to not have to potentially replace 3 starters on the OL when we know how critical it is for Carr's success. 

I understand that.... but when you pay him 14m for 5 games again.... I’ll be telling you I told you so!  The dudes not a 15/16 game a year guy.  I don’t care if it’s 7m.... what’s the point of having him if he won’t come into camp in shape and won’t fight thru small injuries and play.  

And yes 3 new starters kinda stinks but we essentially had 2 new starters this year.  Do I want to redesign the 60% of the OL? Absolutely not.... but it’s what’s best for the team and cap situations and the OL will be able to handle Change.... they adapted well this year.  I’d rather have 3 new good quality starters then go into the year with 2 new G’s and TB and start some back up like Sam Young again.

essentially your gonna have to have 3 New starters anyway (if incognito retires/gets cut and Jackson gets cut) cuz TB ain’t gonna show up for many games