2021 NFL GM Candidates

tannenballs

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Bad teams stay bad, I guess? At least they will have Lawrence...but I'll be honest, meddling ownership (and that's far beyond meddling) would be a hard negative for me in that kind of job opportunity 

Completely agree. People think Atlanta is going to have issues because of Rich McKay being team president (he's got no interest in being GM and didn't want to be over Quinn or Dimitroff this year, he wants to go back to his cushy business side of the team gig.) But Shad Khan is way worse. There's a difference between an owner who wants to be involved in the product on the field the way Blank and Robert Kraft do, and an owner who wants to actually control the whole team top to bottom without having football people do their football jobs.

Just now, tannenballs said:

Curious, who else is on it?

Also, which co-oc does he take from you guys?

3 guys formerly / currently  of Seattle...Kirchner, Ed Dodds...I forget the other guy. 

1 guy from SF, Adam Peters. 

He'll take one of the Mikes for sure; he is very close to the Lafleur family, but McD is more highly regarded, I think and probably less awkward if you have to fire him. I could see him taking someone like Ryans to be his DC. Would make a lot of sense actually.

Just now, scar988 said:

Completely agree. People think Atlanta is going to have issues because of Rich McKay being team president (he's got no interest in being GM and didn't want to be over Quinn or Dimitroff this year, he wants to go back to his cushy business side of the team gig.) But Shad Khan is way worse. There's a difference between an owner who wants to be involved in the product on the field the way Blank and Robert Kraft do, and an owner who wants to actually control the whole team top to bottom without having football people do their football jobs.

He did later clarify that it was in regards to paying people, which makes more sense and isn't atypical (GMs usually don't have carte blanche and have to get permission for big contracts and the like). So if that's the case, its fine. It was just delivered in the worst way lol

17 minutes ago, tannenballs said:

Panthers casting a wide net..

Peters is extremely well regarded across the league and has been one of those guys with that "future GM" moniker for a while. 

Also, he has a personal relationship with Matt Rhule so I'm not at all surprised that they are interviewing him. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Peters is extremely well regarded across the league and has been one of those guys with that "future GM" moniker for a while. 

Also, he has a personal relationship with Matt Rhule so I'm not at all surprised that they are interviewing him. 

This part is extremely noteworthy because he hired Patrick Stewart, who he worked with at Temple, as his Director of Player Personnel in May.