TB 63%
CHI 19%
WAS 18%

if LAR wins…  
LAR 81%
CHI 19%
Edited by lrs3
  • Like 2

Anyone else catch that line up with Jones-Dillon in the backfield. We ended up passing to Jones in the flat both plays but I really think that is a lineup we can have success with in the playoffs. You could tell the Bears defense just didn't know how to handle it. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

Anyone else catch that line up with Jones-Dillon in the backfield. We ended up passing to Jones in the flat both plays but I really think that is a lineup we can have success with in the playoffs. You could tell the Bears defense just didn't know how to handle it. 

I thought it was great and only noticed it the one time. I could have simply been focusing on something else though. On that particular play it looked like Dillon was open as well though Jones was clearly the first option.

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I'm beating a personal dead horse here but I don't see why this is so hard to deal with. Only one can run the ball at a time, neither are used to lead blocking and neither are as good as your typical WR. I've asked this a lot over the years. I guess I just don't see what's so dangerous about it?

Someone help me

Is it the threat of Dillon inside and Jones doing stuff outside?

Edited by Norm

13 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Yeah, that was sweet .. Jones is a stud.  I think he's really underutilized, but now that it's the playoffs it's time to unleash this guy.  He needs a minimum of 20 touches per game. 

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm beating a personal dead horse here but I don't see why this is so hard to deal with. Only one can run the ball at a time, neither are used to lead blocking and neither are as good as your typical WR. I've asked this a lot over the years. I guess I just don't see what's so dangerous about it?

Someone help me

I think its sort of like an RPO where it forces the defense to show there hand. If there playing light in the middle you run it up the gut. If they play heavy in the middle you can do outside zone or screen to Jones. It finds a way IMO to get two of the better football players on this offense on the field at the same time while removing one of the average to below average WRs (If you believe like I do that our #2 & #3 are nothing special). 

I'm a little disappointed in Dillons use this game though. I just think he is a better pure runner then Williams. I know Williams does everything decent but I think this team really needs to find a use for Dillon. He is too talented to just ignore in favor of Williams especially. 

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

Someone help me

It's more the misdirection on guys with two responsibilities. Against the run a lot of defenses have an ILB assignment called a 10/Scrape. 

They're responsible for the A-Gap (so the ILB lines up as a 10 technique) if it's an inside run, and for scraping over the top and filling outside if it's an outside run. 

If you can get the ILB to take a false step to the A gap thinking he needs to meet Dillon, you might hold him up the split second you need to get Jones to the outside. 

Additionally, in the pass game, if the ILB thinks he needs to fill the A gap against Dillon, you might spring Jones open for a swing pass due to the ILB reading run to pass. That's what happened against the Bears.

There's more efficient plays in the playbook for sure, but as an off speed pitch, we do dumber stuff.