Colin Kaepernick

eagles18

Colin Kaepernick is still not signed and I may be the only one who completely understands why. If he was a starting caliber quarterback, teams wouldn't care about his hair or his kneeling situation. Teams want to win games and finding a quality quarterback is truly rare. Kaepernick is just not good; he is wildly inaccurate, has terrible footwork, and low football IQ needed at the position. How are people not seeing this??? We aren't in 2012 anymore where the read option shocked the league and the likes of Kaepernick and Griffin type qbs thrived. 

Kaepernick and Griffin are not signed because they are not quality quarterbacks and they are too big of a distraction to a team to be only coming off the bench

Thoughts?

I agree that owners/gms think Kaep is possibly too big of a distraction to bring in. But I disagree that he's a horrid qb. He regressed heavily after his injuries. But he's still a starting caliber qb imo. Might be bottom 10. But still capable. 

RG3 I completely disagree. The dude took his benching in Washington with pride and didn't say a word (nor does kaep but stay with me). And his time with Cleveland he got injured again. His injuries are keeping him from being signed. Not anything else.

Sounds like you want to make it a black/white issue. But it's not.

Well, I tend to think that it is almost that clear. With RGIII as well, and for the type of QB that he can Kaep are, both are built around being mobile, and injuries kills their best skill, so now you can't run them like you could before and they aren't NFL quality passers.

It's the combination of everything.  Like you mentioned, if he was a clear starting-caliber QB he would have been signed anywhere.  But he's had more ups and downs than a roller coster, and he's got his own share of issues off the field.  I've got no issues with him standing up for what he believes in, but it's too much for a team to get over.

Kaep and Griffin are a little different.

The last time we saw Kaepernick, he was doing bottom 10 NFL QB stuff.  But still better than almost every backup, so certainly worth a "starting" role.  I mean, this was his 2016 stat line in 11 games.

• 16 TD's
  • 4 INT's
  • 59% comp 
  • 6.8 YPA

He was decent.  But - teams recognize that he's probably no better than that, and aren't willing to endure the media circus that comes along with it just to lose a bunch of games.

With Griffin, he just plain sucked every time given a chance the last few years.  Really bad TD/INT ratio, bad YPA, etc.  And he's hurt all the time.  

1 hour ago, Gmen4ev said:

I agree that owners/gms think Kaep is possibly too big of a distraction to bring in. But I disagree that he's a horrid qb. He regressed heavily after his injuries. But he's still a starting caliber qb imo. Might be bottom 10. But still capable. 

RG3 I completely disagree. The dude took his benching in Washington with pride and didn't say a word (nor does kaep but stay with me). And his time with Cleveland he got injured again. His injuries are keeping him from being signed. Not anything else.

Sounds like you want to make it a black/white issue. But it's not.

There is nothing in my post that suggests it's a black/white issue. I'm offended by that notion. Russell Wilson is black and you don't see me bringing him up or Cam Newton or even Jameis Winston. Get of of here with that nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

It's no coincidence that both Griffin and Kaepernick excelled in 2012 and that was the same year the read-option took the league by storm. They are not pass first quarterbacks. 

This has been said, and its mostly agreed upon. But with Kaeps case he still can be a serviceable starter if need be. I truly believe the only reason owners/GM's don't bring him in is due to his media presence(not his fault fwiw), not due to his inability to play.

3 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

This has been said, and its mostly agreed upon. But with Kaeps case he still can be a serviceable starter if need be. I truly believe the only reason owners/GM's don't bring him in is due to his media presence(not his fault fwiw), not due to his inability to play.

Clearly we have watched different versions of Kaep. Nothing in his tape says "he would be better than what we currently have" 

Just now, eagles18 said:

Clearly we have watched different versions of Kaep. Nothing in his tape says "he would be better than what we currently have" 

I think he's a far better option than

• Tom Savage
  • Brian Hoyer
  • Christian Hackenberg

Granted like I said, he'd be bottom 10. Realistically speaking he's closer to bottom five. But I'd say he certainly deserves(due to his play) to be a backup somewhere. If not starting on one of the teams mentioned above.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Just now, Gmen4ev said:

I think he's a far better option than

• Tom Savage
  • Brian Hoyer
  • Christian Hackenberg

Granted like I said, he'd be bottom 10. Realistically speaking he's closer to bottom five. But I'd say he certainly deserves(due to his play) to be a backup somewhere. If not starting on one of the teams mentioned above.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Hackenberg, yes. I'd take Savage and Hoyer  over Kaepernick. Realistically, he's closer to being ranked low 40's. 

Tom Savage career numbers are

56/92, 588 yards, 0 tds, 1 int, 1 fumble, 74.9 passer rating.

I love Hoyer, and I can possibly see some arguments for him(though I think he is a far greater backup QB than starter). But I cannot for the life of me see why you would choose Savage over anyone.

Please let me know. Because from everything I've seen, from college to now has been nothing but far below average for Savage.

He is, today, a top 40 QB. There are roughly 80 QB jobs in the NFL. The issue is, do you want to invite the controversy for a QB who is a long shot to become a good starter, and is the controversy worth it to have him as a backup? It's like Tebow, for very different reasons.

I think he should get a job. I actually believe he will. Injuries will happen. Teams (I think the Seahawks most recently) have been toying with the idea of signing him.

The problem with having Kaep as your backup is that he likely can't run the same offense as your starter.  So if you built an offense around Kaep, ya he'd probably be a top 30 QB in the leage, but who's going to build an offense around their backup QB?  

Archived