Colin Kaepernick

eagles18

44 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Hackenberg, yes. I'd take Savage and Hoyer  over Kaepernick. Realistically, he's closer to being ranked low 40's. 

I'm not sure i agree with the bolded.  I can understand taking those other guys, but Kaepernick has proven a bit more in this league.  Even if he's been a bottom teir QB.  Hackenberg and Savage are complete unknowns.  Hoyer, in his best season, had comparable passing numbers to those posted by Kaepernick last year and doesn't add a rushing element.

47 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Savage has only a few games of experience. Rookies are given far more before jumping to conclusions.

So you can conclude that he's a better choice than Kaep? But im wrong to conclude hes worse?

16 minutes ago, coors said:

He's got to end up somewhere, right? That's what I keep thinking yet each day nothing seems to materialize. I thought he was going to be a lock for Seattle. Clearly I was wrong. 

Seemed like a test almost. Meant to gauge public reaction. As I recall, they didn't get much push back. But having him in for a visit is different than signing him.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Kaep and Griffin are a little different.

The last time we saw Kaepernick, he was doing bottom 10 NFL QB stuff.  But still better than almost every backup, so certainly worth a "starting" role.  I mean, this was his 2016 stat line in 11 games.

• 16 TD's
  • 4 INT's
  • 59% comp 
  • 6.8 YPA

He was decent.  But - teams recognize that he's probably no better than that, and aren't willing to endure the media circus that comes along with it just to lose a bunch of games.

With Griffin, he just plain sucked every time given a chance the last few years.  Really bad TD/INT ratio, bad YPA, etc.  And he's hurt all the time.  

Those stats don't tell nearly the whole story of Kaepernick. Here are his first half stats:

• 108 of 149 (72.48%)
  • 1317 yards (8.8 YPA)
  • 11 TDs
  • 3 INTs
  • 115.5 QBR

And here are his 2nd half stats: 

• 86 of 179 (48.04%)
  • 911 yards (5.1 YPA)
  • 5 TDs
  • 1 INT
  • 70.3 QBR

With Chip Kelly - we'd typically start off fine, and then things would just deteriorate completely in the second half (which is exactly when you don't want that to happen). But those stats aren't completely indicative of Chip Kelly. They're just how Colin has played over his entire career. First half: 

• 537 of 854 (62.88%)
  • 6698 yards (7.8 YPA)
  • 43 TDs
  • 14 INTs
  • 97.1 QBR

And second half: 

• 467 of 827 (56.47%)
  • 5516 yards (6.7 YPA)
  • 29 TDs
  • 16 INTs
  • 80.6 QBR

Could he start over a few of the starting QBs? Possibly. He'd definitely be a worthy backup and has to be one of the top 64 QBs in the NFL. But he definitely has problems and his stats are very misleading. And the stats don't in any way show how horrible his pocket awareness is. There are countless times where you can watch him run directly left or right on any passing down and right into a defensive player rather than rolling or trying to escape. He also hasn't put much effort into mechanics or looking off safeties, and relies on his incredible arm strength to fit balls into windows. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Could he start over a few of the starting QBs? Possibly. He'd definitely be a worthy backup and has to be one of the top 64 QBs in the NFL. But he definitely has problems and his stats are very misleading. And the stats don't in any way show how horrible his pocket awareness is. There are countless times where you can watch him run directly left or right on any passing down and right into a defensive player rather than rolling or trying to escape. He also hasn't put much effort into mechanics or looking off safeties, and relies on his incredible arm strength to fit balls into windows. 

That's true of most QB's in the bottom part of the league.  That's why they're in the bottom tier.  But i get what you're saying.  I'm not saying he was good.  Just that he wasn't Ryan Fitzpatrick bad.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

That's true of most QB's in the bottom part of the league.  That's why they're in the bottom tier.  But i get what you're saying.  I'm not saying he was good.  Just that he wasn't Ryan Fitzpatrick bad.

Oh yeah- that last part was just commenting that I agree with your comments that he's decent, and definitely worthy of a roster spot/possibly starting on other teams. But I also wanted to make the point that the stats give him way too much credit when he was pretty terrible in the 2nd half of games. 

Kaep was terrible in 14 and he was the worst QB i saw play in 2015(no hyperbole) under Tomsula. His confidence was destroyed, you could tell by how defeated he looked the whole season. Granted his offensive line was god awful and his receivers were terrible, but the flaws he had his first season starting have always been there, they were just magnified more because he didn't have the best o-line and running game in the league. His footwork is terrible, the touch on his ball was average, at best, when he was at his best and god awful in 14/15, and  he still can't read defense or set his protection to save his life. Last year he played better than the car wrecks he had the 2 years prior but hes still really flawed. 

Right now hes still a top 32 QB in the league. Hes better than Hoyer, Goff, and who ever is going to start for the texans/browns/jets. I don't think many teams would want him as a back up because he brings nothing to the table as an x's and o's guy. 

Hes good enough to be in the league but the circus he brings doesn't outweigh his play. if he did he'd have a job

There are other factors, but the main reason is, he isn't worth the media coverage. Much like Tebow or Manziel, unless they were going to be Franchise players, they weren't worth the distraction.

Hes certainly a top 64 QB. Unless he's holding out for starter money, there isn't a reason someone hasn't brought him on as a backup at least.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:28 PM, ChaRisMa said:

Unless he's holding out for starter money, there isn't a reason someone hasn't brought him on as a backup at least.

Apparently he hasn't been, has only asked for a chance to be on a team, even if it meant on a tryout basis. 

On 7/20/2017 at 2:03 PM, MKnight82 said:

The problem with having Kaep as your backup is that he likely can't run the same offense as your starter.  So if you built an offense around Kaep, ya he'd probably be a top 30 QB in the leage, but who's going to build an offense around their backup QB?  

Why can't he run the same offense? He's made NFL throws in the NFL, why is now unable to do that?

And, it is absolutely possible to add in some QB runs if he's your backup. Take your zone plays from the gun and leave someone unblocked on the backside. Now you have a read option. Take your power plays, and just make the QB the runner. Now you have QB power (with an extra blocker!). That literally takes like 5 minutes in a meeting to adjust. You don't have to completely rebuild the offense for him.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:48 PM, Gmen4ev said:

So you can conclude that he's a better choice than Kaep? But im wrong to conclude hes worse?

Yes because we've seen what Kaep can do, we haven't seen what Savage can do. Kaeps inevitable media distractions wouldn't be worth it considering his mediocre play. 

On 7/22/2017 at 5:17 AM, IDOG_det said:

Why can't he run the same offense? He's made NFL throws in the NFL, why is now unable to do that?

And, it is absolutely possible to add in some QB runs if he's your backup. Take your zone plays from the gun and leave someone unblocked on the backside. Now you have a read option. Take your power plays, and just make the QB the runner. Now you have QB power (with an extra blocker!). That literally takes like 5 minutes in a meeting to adjust. You don't have to completely rebuild the offense for him.

He's a run first QB and always has been. if a team is smart they will tailor the offense to his strengths. 

Archived