GDT: Wildcard Playoffs: Ravens @ Titans

TitanLegend

1 minute ago, twotonebluenation said:

The Ravens didn’t seem to feel any pressure by Henry. He looked ultra average yesterday. And it doesn’t help that he poses no threat catching the ball on third. We were a different team offensively because the Ravens d heavily outplayed us. Credit were credit is due Henry was handled by the Ravens. It wasn’t like Henry’s pressure was leading to Tannehill playing amazing. Tannehill had 160 yards. He was neutralized also. Yea play calling was not optimal all day, but the Ravens just simply handled our offense. They had us questioning what to do, in situations we always know what to do. We got outplayed. I am not as upset about that call, it’s not a no brainer sorry, especially the way we were playing. We had too many chances to pull away, and to even win the game at the end, and we didn’t. They were the better team.

They felt a ton of pressure from Henry, that’s why 74% of his runs came against 8 or 9 man boxes. It was Arthur’s unwillingness to take advantage of it that killed us. The rushing numbers were bad because they played the run, and unlike the rest of the year where Art set teams up and punished them for crashing the LOS, he was happy to just plow Henry into bodies and hope for the best.

And I don’t know how a decision could be any more clear cut than that one. 75 other teams have faced the exact same call over the last four years and literally not a single other one punted in that situation. If it was even a borderline decision, somebody else out of 75 times would’ve punted. It just couldn’t be more clear cut.

7 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

And I don’t know how a decision could be any more clear cut than that one. 75 other teams have faced the exact same call over the last four years and literally not a single other one punted in that situation. If it was even a borderline decision, somebody else out of 75 times would’ve punted. It just couldn’t be more clear cut.

What was the success rate of going for it on 4th and 2 on the 40 of those 75 teams?

Just now, twotonebluenation said:

What was the success rate of going for it on 4th and 2 on the 40 of those 75 teams?

Honestly, I don’t care. There’s a reason it destroyed our win percentage. We had a 67% conversion rate on third and fourth and short this year. If you’re giving me a 2/3 chance of continuing a drive inside an opponents 40 in a four-point game or a 100% chance of sending out one of the worst defenses in the league over a 16-game season, it’s one of the easiest calls I’ll ever make.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Honestly, I don’t care. There’s a reason it destroyed our win percentage. We had a 67% conversion rate on third and fourth and short this year. If you’re giving me a 2/3 chance of continuing a drive inside an opponents 40 in a four-point game or a 100% chance of sending out one of the worst defenses in the league over a 16-game season, it’s one of the easiest calls I’ll ever make.

I do, I think it is an interesting stat you presented, and it matters in me possibly thinking about the call differently. That 67 percent was not 67 percent against that d yesterday. Our d was playing better than they have most of the year yesterday. Listen I see your side I am not saying you are totally wrong. But I am not as mad at the move. If Kern pins them on the 5, that’s A different drive, I could even see Lamar turning it over. I saw Henry go to the ground yesterday multiple times by the d line simply pushing our o line into him. It’s also a tough catch but Jonnu has to make it. I am not blaming that play call on ruining our season. The offense got handled yesterday. They handled our offensive line, the push was immediate and often. I just could see how Vrabel was not as confident in that short yardarge situation. I just look at it differently.

12 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I just could see how Vrabel was not as confident in that short yardarge situation. I just look at it differently.

If Vrabel, after the last year and a half, doesn’t have confidence in this offense to get two yards when it matters the most, we should be having an entirely different conversation about him as a head coach.

And my biggest concern Is that is actually the problem. That he coaches scared in big moments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

If Vrabel, after the last year and a half, doesn’t have confidence in this offense to get two yards when it matters the most, we should be having an entirely different conversation about him as a head coach.

And my biggest concern Is that is actually the problem. That he coaches scared in big moments.

Also I want to say I would not have been mad at either choice. Who knows? Maybe. I have seen him make ballsy calls. Time will tell with that.  I just think the offense just didn’t give him enough confidence yesterday. I think concern and blame can equally be dished out after yesterday. I think it boils down to this though. This offense needs to be deeper than Henry. The talks always end up at Henry most of the time win or lose. I think AJ will start to become the guy that can make the offense deeper, the more consistent and the higher his knowledge comes for the game.

9 hours ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

At first I was alright as the day went on it started getting to me. Reason being defense finally showed up and the offense craps the bed. 4th and 2 settle to punt instead of going for it. Week prior we go for it on 4th and 11. Are the end of the day it's a game but man this one hurts

I dunno, it sucks that the D finally showed up and then the offense sucked, but I didn't think we were going far anyway. We all said that the Ravens were probably our best match up on D. Anyone else would've torched us through through air. Hopefully if Art is gone we can hire someone a little more innovative to replace him. And I'm praying they're not stupid and stubborn enough to just try to run it back coach wise on defense.

We should honestly be one of the more attractive coaching destinations, so hopefully with this early exit we can get our choice of guys and then be ready for FA and the draft.

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I am so tired of game analytics. Football isn't just a game of math. None of those numbers factor momentum or game feel. Players aren't robots. If they get a stop there on 4th the game is over right there in my eyes. 4th down stops like that late in a game swing momentum so fast in playoff environments. I am so tired nowadays of overanalyzing coaching decisions like it is the end all be all. It is so easy to sit here and just say what he did was the worst decision. I have seen Vrabel makes numerous heady decisions. They neutralized everything we did offense basically besides two drives. That is why we lost. If Henry maybe had a run of more than 8 yards maybe there would be more confidence. We had 1 rushing 1st down. 1! We were 4-12 on third. They doubled our total offensive yardage. We were pathetic on offense yesterday. Pathetic. The offense had there chances to convert all game and struggled. We got out physicaled in the trenches on our own turf, and that's why we lost.

58 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I am so tired of game analytics. Football isn't just a game of math. None of those numbers factor momentum or game feel. Players aren't robots. If they get a stop there on 4th the game is over right there in my eyes. 4th down stops like that late in a game swing momentum so fast in playoff environments. I am so tired nowadays of overanalyzing coaching decisions like it is the end all be all. It is so easy to sit here and just say what he did was the worst decision. I have seen Vrabel makes numerous heady decisions. They neutralized everything we did offense basically besides two drives. That is why we lost. If Henry maybe had a run of more than 8 yards maybe there would be more confidence. We had 1 rushing 1st down. 1! We were 4-12 on third. They doubled our total offensive yardage. We were pathetic on offense yesterday. Pathetic. The offense had there chances to convert all game and struggled. We got out physicaled in the trenches on our own turf, and that's why we lost.

good thing it was also a horrific decision by momentum and game feel then

hilarious that you mention henry having a run more than 8 yards when his 8 yard run was TWO PLAYS BEFORE THE PUNT, at which point we took him off the field. game feel tho!!!!

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

good thing it was also a horrific decision by momentum and game feel then

hilarious that you mention henry having a run more than 8 yards when his 8 yard run was TWO PLAYS BEFORE THE PUNT, at which point we took him off the field. game feel tho!!!!

Haha, that is what you clinging onto hope for through that whole game to give you confidence. An 8 yard run? Two plays before that he had 0 yards. Like I don’t know what you saw from our offense yesterday that gave you so much confidence. They were very average. Actually very  below average. It’s fine continue to defend our offense that got absolutely manhandled yesterday. The more I look at the more I realized they stunk. We had 200 yards of offense yesterday. That’s almost 200 yards less than our yearly average. Literally awful. The Bears had 40 more yards than us yesterday. Haha. Thumbs up. Your right.

5 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Haha, that is what you clinging onto hope for through that whole game to give you confidence. An 8 yard run? Two plays before that he had 0 yards. Like I don’t know what you saw from our offense yesterday that gave you so much confidence. They were very average. Actually very  below average. It’s fine continue to defend our offense that got absolutely manhandled yesterday. The more I look at the more I realized they stunk. We had 200 yards of offense yesterday. That’s almost 200 yards less than our yearly average. Literally awful. The Bears had 40 more yards than us yesterday. Haha. Thumbs up. Your right.

the argument here isn't that our offense was killing it yesterday. it's that it was a horrible decision *regardless.* vrabel said he trusted the defense? then trust them to get a goddamn stop if we don't make it. meanwhile our offense was struggling all day and instead of seizing one of the few opportunities we had in plus territory, we played coward ball. analytics or game flow, it's indefensible any way you slice it. as for henry, if you want to die on the hill of "taking our 240 pound mvp-candidate RB out of the game in a short yardage situation immediately after his best carry of the day was a good decision, actually" then go for it. i'm not going to waste my time on that.

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the argument here isn't that our offense was killing it yesterday. it's that it was a horrible decision *regardless.* vrabel said he trusted the defense? then trust them to get a goddamn stop if we don't make it. meanwhile our offense was struggling all day and instead of seizing one of the few opportunities we had in plus territory, we played coward ball. analytics or game flow, it's indefensible any way you slice it. as for henry, if you want to die on the hill of "taking our 240 pound mvp-candidate RB out of the game in a short yardage situation immediately after his best carry of the day was a good decision, actually" then go for it. i'm not going to waste my time on that.

Never said I was in favor of the idea of not having Henry on 3rd. I would have absolutely had him in on 3rd. I see it as if you don’t get it there, they start at the 40 which could have been a 35 yard head start if we had punted it to let’s say the 5. 35 yards can be the difference of them scoring a td on that drive and ending the game. Heck even 25 yards can be the difference. Especially with Lamar at qb and our d playing well. We held them to a fg and got the ball back. Then we couldn’t score again. We had our chances. Listen man sorry I don’t fall in line with your beliefs but I would have been fine with either call. That’s my opinion.